LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New to me craigslist Lexus LX 450, would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 08:12 PM
sam74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me craigslist Lexus LX 450, would you buy?

Hello from North Dakota. I recently totaled my DD (which I didn't drive daily) but need a reliable vehicle that can be a DD if needed to be to replace the totaled vehicle. My totaled vehicle wasn't necessarily pretty although reliable. It was a 2003 Astro AWD so it gets about the same mileage and probably had a little more room than the vehicle in question. I would like the new vehicle to be able to drive back home to TN on occasion which is about 1600 miles one way without any issues.

Just curious to get input as I don't know much about these vehicles other than the searches I have done here today and I've always heard they are fairly indestructible. I did get to look at it today in person and got to see what issues were visible to me as a newbie.

http://nd.craigslist.org/cto/5639455598.html

In case you can't get to the link due to my newbie status it is a 1997 LX 450 with 188,000 miles on it. In-line six cylinder. Asking $4800.

This is missing the third row seating. Drivers side front seat has tears/rips due to use covered with seat cover. Misc. markings on the other seats but no other tears.

the drivers side door and front quarter panel got in a pinch. Looks like it bent mostly the quarter panel edge slightly and mostly just paint removal on the door edge. One 3" keyed looking paint scar on the same quarter panel. Pinch doesn't really look too bad.

A few other misc. rubs all around the cladding

Rear door locks don't operate automatically

Under the hood he's got the breather rubber piece duct taped up at the ribbed section and said it looks like it was about to crack. Sorry don't really know what the part is called.

Anybody have opinions on this vehicles pricing and reliability or anything else I should be looking for? He says he has not had this long but has taken it on a couple of 12 hour trips with no issue or oil use. He did say he replaced the radiator when he bought it.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
Old 06-21-16, 05:39 PM
sam74
Driver School Candidate

Well I bought it anyway. Had fun on the 50 mile drive home just cruising down the highway.

The PO who had this for very short time had owned several before and seemed very sincere, as ex military I believe, and confident it would be a good quality vehicle since these vehicles or their cousins are in demand world wide for their reliability.

Part of his reasoning is usually when ones orders one new they are normally not hurting for cash and will have the dealer service this as long as they own it. This appears to be true as I got the Carfax report and the original owner had it for 9-10 years being serviced at the Lexus dealer.

I'm sure never having owned one I'll have plenty of questions eventually. Maybe you all can help me out then.

Thanks
Old 06-21-16, 05:50 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paid a little much for it honestly.

Good luck with it!
Old 06-21-16, 06:02 PM
sam74
Driver School Candidate

Got it a little cheaper than advertised.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-21-16, 06:04 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome..

How's it drive so far?
Old 06-21-16, 06:27 PM
sam74
Driver School Candidate

Probably the best driving vehicle I've ever driven for 50 miles. I need to figure out the cruise though.

I think my Astro had a clogged catalytic convertor. What size V6 is in this?
Old 06-21-16, 06:57 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Inline 6, It's a 4.5L
Old 06-21-16, 08:46 PM
PADDO
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam
If you haven't yet you should check out ih8mud 80 series tech forum for good general information on your new vehicle. You can also create an account at Lexus.com and pull up the service history by VIN and download manuals. Maybe even order hard copy manuals? I've ordered 470 manuals previously so they may still support 450s.
Old 06-23-16, 05:27 AM
LX470Mack
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mate at the end of the day you have bought an 80s series Landcruiser. The most indestructible vehicle ever made.

Here in Australia even with that mileage they still fetch 8-12 grand so you didn't get ripped off. At the end of the day i'd just re-upholster the leather, do the headgasket and water pump and enjoy it.

The solid live axles are superb and it will be a classic one day, same as the 470s.
Old 06-23-16, 04:56 PM
sam74
Driver School Candidate

Hey Paddo,

Thanks for the info. The Carfax contained somewhat vague info on service from Lexus and other dealers (Toyota and Dodge to be specific). The Lexus website got into some more detail on service performed by Lexus exclusively and in others they also were very vague. Found out the head gasket was replaced in 2005. Lots of vague or no information about some very early on service. Multiple instances on the same date and mileage with no descriptions. Although one mentions performing scheduled maintenance in 1999 over 2 days so maybe it was just routine stuff.

Also some good stuff on the IH8mud.com website. Plenty of more looking to do there.

I think the original owners (or "a" original) manual is in the vehicle.

LX470Mack,

Thanks, I like your attitude.

One other thing I have since noticed is the exhaust. Someone put on a shiny new muffler but the remaining exhaust pipe on either end and what I figure are in-line catalytic convertors are definitely rusty. Is that normal? How much round about does it cost to replace that stuff? I bet that is not cheap either.
Old 08-25-16, 10:48 PM
DSRTWGN
Driver School Candidate

no, you did not overpay - the LX is a really good truck - built like a tank

ih8mud.com indeed has a lot more info than this site - send me a private message and I'll give you some info on who the knowledgeable people are over there
Old 08-26-16, 07:01 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by PADDO
If you haven't yet you should check out ih8mud 80 series tech forum for good general information on your new vehicle. You can also create an account at Lexus.com and pull up the service history by VIN and download manuals. Maybe even order hard copy manuals? I've ordered 470 manuals previously so they may still support 450s.
Congratulations on the new truck!

ih8mud.com is the NEXUS of all things Land Cruiser and LX.

If you're looking for new manuals, go here...http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia= The 2 volume set is a STEAL at $80. If you're looking for a used set, check eBay. My '01 has a 3rd manual for electric wiring diagrams...not sure if the 450's had one...you could ask on mud.

Steve