LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Shopping advice? 00 or 01 LX 470 vs 04 or 05 QX56 (infiniti)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 08:39 PM
ahreno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping advice? 00 or 01 LX 470 vs 04 or 05 QX56 (infiniti)

I'm shopping for a nice used suv. Right now my choices seem to be coming down to a 2000 w/ 125k or 2001 w/ 136k Lexus LX 470 from a pretty reputable dealer (both about $13-14k (timing belts was replaced on the 00 and they're low miles The other choices are infiniti qx56 about $10k from private parties. 2004 w/ 125k or 2005 w/ 136k.

I'm looking to get some feedback from people more knowledgeable than me. I'm pretty car dumb.

I'm 6'6" so i'm shopping for a vehicle i fit good into... this is why i've ended up at the full size SUV's. I live in northern california on a sort of beat up gravel road... other than that i don t really "offroad" but i do need 4x4.

I do pull trailers and this vehicle will replace my 03 f150 (forgive me). I dont plan to haul much inside the vehicle but it will happen.

I have a kid and significant other but the family wont grow past that.

what am i giving up/gaining by paying more for a 3-4 year older lexus vs the newer qx? are there any others i shoul;d consider besides the respected land cruiser, sequoia?

Looking for any advice i can get. I'd more than likely keep the vehicle for 5ish years.
Old 04-20-16, 08:55 PM
ahreno
Driver School Candidate

i should note, i'm in the middle of nowhere so i can't test drive each vehicle to decide without a 4 hour drive each way, or in the case of the lexus, an airplane ride (not many of either available anywhere near)
Old 04-20-16, 10:33 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ahreno
I'm shopping for a nice used suv. Right now my choices seem to be coming down to a 2000 w/ 125k or 2001 w/ 136k Lexus LX 470 from a pretty reputable dealer (both about $13-14k (timing belts was replaced on the 00 and they're low miles The other choices are infiniti qx56 about $10k from private parties. 2004 w/ 125k or 2005 w/ 136k.

I'm looking to get some feedback from people more knowledgeable than me. I'm pretty car dumb.

I'm 6'6" so i'm shopping for a vehicle i fit good into... this is why i've ended up at the full size SUV's. I live in northern california on a sort of beat up gravel road... other than that i don t really "offroad" but i do need 4x4.

I do pull trailers and this vehicle will replace my 03 f150 (forgive me). I dont plan to haul much inside the vehicle but it will happen.

I have a kid and significant other but the family wont grow past that.

what am i giving up/gaining by paying more for a 3-4 year older lexus vs the newer qx? are there any others i shoul;d consider besides the respected land cruiser, sequoia.

Looking for any advice i can get. I'd more than likely keep the vehicle for 5ish years.
If you're not looking at serious off-road / overland stuff, the Infinity should be ok, particularly the trailer pulling part; otoh, an LX is fine pulling a trailer, especially if your trailer has brakes and you install a good controller. I've got no idea of an Infiniti's design life, but Toyota has set Land Cruisers and LX's to 25 years...maybe 250 to 300+ K miles.

Not that either truck handles like a Lotus, but an LX is surprising if you push it on curvy roads, especially dirt / gravel roads.

As you've noticed, resale on the 2 is extremely different...overall, I'd say because of Lexus reliability. A Sequoia would not be a bad choice either...same engine as the Lexus but not made entirely in Japan with total Japanese part content. More of a direct comparison to the QX. A Land Cruiser won't have the bells and whistles of an LX, but it's the same drivetrain, same suspension (other than no AHC). In many areas Cruisers sell for more than LX's due to scarcity. A Suburban / Tahoe would also be reasonable choices...cheaper, probably easier to test drive, but not with the reliability of any of the Japanese choices

Originally Posted by ahreno
i should note, i'm in the middle of nowhere so i can't test drive each vehicle to decide without a 4 hour drive each way, or in the case of the lexus, an airplane ride (not many of either available anywhere near)
As the dealer I bought my last Cruiser from said, "you're aware that these aren't Corollas"...

Conceivably, you could post a thread in the 100 series section of ih8mud.com and ask if someone local to the truck you're looking at could recommend a dealer or good indy shop to do a pre-purchase inspection. You could also hire a broker and have him do the legwork.

In my experience, great deals go very quickly. Prior to buying the LX and LC, I had 5-6 used car websites open on the laptop and checked listings 2-3 times a day. That went on for a month or 2 until I found THE truck for me. On the LX, I had the Bend, OR dealer to a ppt on the truck, negotiated a deal with the owner, drove up (~ 400 miles) with a neighbor and drove the truck back.

On the Land Cruiser, same thing but I flew from Boise to Spokane, 1 hour flight with 1 hour time change in my favor. Lexus of Spokane already did a ppt. I got a bank check there once we had a deal and drove home the same day.

Just sayin', if you're serious about an LX or Cruiser, resign yourself to needing to travel. There aren't too many creampuff's hanging around out there.

Good luck
Old 05-03-16, 09:43 AM
ExtremeLC
Driver School Candidate

Default LX470 for Overland use and Towing a Travel Trailer

I prefer early model year LX470's, preferably with the optional factory electric locking rear axle differential (**** on dash to left of steering wheel). Also try and find one without factory Navigation. This will be the standard double din, and climate controls as 3 ***** below the radio. The Nav have the the climate controls integrated on screen. When the Nav fails, so does your climate controls. On the 3 **** version, when the radio fails, just install a modern aftermarket and your good to go. I have experience retrofitting both versions/and pics of the debocle. Trust me on this one. As of the QX56, well thats a non consideration- as were on a Lexus Forum I will say the aftermarket is far more advanced for the LX470 than any of your other choices simply because 90% of parts used on the Toyota Landcruiser UZJ100 are interchangeable. Landcruiser dominates worldwide.