LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Our new 98 LX!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 09:28 PM
offroadkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our new 98 LX!

I'm new to the Lexus scene! Our first Cruiser was a 1992! Since then we've owned a 1997, then a 1998 100 series, and then back to a 1997 Collector's Edition that just went away last weekend and we replaced her with a new to us 1998 LX470. It's been 6 years since I've owned a 100 series!

It was early Saturday morning and I knew our old girl was going to her new on Sunday (Valentine's Day).

I was getting nervous that I wouldn't have a new vehicle right away and opened up the laptop to look on CL. This time there was a 1998 LX freshly posted with no pics and so I called the dealership and asked to have pics sent. I liked the color, especially gray interior which I'm convinced hardly anyone ordered from the factory as most of the ones I've found all had tan!

We drove down to San Rafael to look at it and although it needed a freshening-up and some issues addressed it was a steal for the price. It was dirty which I was okay with as it had just been listed and smogged only no recon. They apologized about it being dirty and sent us off with all the keys and a full tank of gas!
After the first week of ownership I began to fix the things on my list. First mod was a set of Sylvania SilverStar zXe headlight bulbs, and first repair was the "D" and "L" light in the instrument cluster! Every Cruiser we've owned I've had to replace the "D" light and I'm sure you can say the same too! The cabin dust filters also were replaced and the rearview mirror attaching screw snugged!

Next was a CDL indicator switch on the t-case as I had no confirmation light in the cluster when we road-test her. Now I have the light in the cluster when pressing the CDL button. I also ordered all new fasteners for the engine belly panels as they were a mish-mosh of ones lost and replaced with mixed sizes, new valve cover gaskets were ordered, spark plug tube seals, and a PCV grommet. I also replaced the "4LO" indicator switch as mentioned in my other post, it was causing the CDL light not to illuminate when "4LO" position was requested.

The stock size tires were fine, but I wanted bigger so I got some 285 BFG T/A KO2 and put them on Thursday after work!

I work at a Mercedes-Benz dealership and was able to have one of the guys in detail clay, polish, and seal the paint and it came out very nice.

The wife was out of town this weekend so I went to the shop and repaired the engine oil leaks and since I was in the zone replaced the right front axle as the boots were torn and I had an entire good axle sitting in the garage from our old 100, (long story)!

I've had stock 80's, mildly built 80's, and overbuilt 80's, and I knew I wanted this one to just have 285's and use the AHC to get us places with our "expedition style" off-road adventures. I'm very excited about the AHC as we both have parents that are aging and it makes things easier to get them in and out than our previous rig equipped with 315's and 4" lift.

Future plans include trying to see why nothing happens with the tilt/telescoping switch is operated, and repairing the torn bottom seat cushion!
Attached Thumbnails Our new 98 LX!-front-before-it-was-ours.jpeg   Our new 98 LX!-side-before-it-was-ours.jpeg   Our new 98 LX!-new-285-75r16.jpg   Our new 98 LX!-freshly-detailed.jpg   Our new 98 LX!-so-clean.jpg  

Our new 98 LX!-out-of-the-parts-washer.jpg   Our new 98 LX!-old-axle-out.jpg   Our new 98 LX!-first-trip.jpg   Our new 98 LX!-fun-in-the-snow.jpg  
Old 03-22-16, 09:42 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats

Long term LC owner here as well
100s are stout beasts
Old 03-23-16, 11:25 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadkid
...and first repair was the "D" and "L" light in the instrument cluster! Every Cruiser we've owned I've had to replace the "D" light and I'm sure you can say the same too! The cabin dust filters also were replaced and the rearview mirror attaching screw snugged!

The stock size tires were fine, but I wanted bigger so I got some 285 BFG T/A KO2 and put them on Thursday after work!

Future plans include trying to see why nothing happens with the tilt/telescoping switch is operated, and repairing the torn bottom seat cushion!
My "D" light was removed about a month after I bought my '01 LX...too bright for night driving. If I'm moving forward and no other lights are on, I think it's fair to deduce I'm in Drive.

How are the BFG KO2s' road noise...the Toyo A/T's on the LX are due for replacement after around 80K. I'm also running 285-75's.

Do you hear anything if you move the T/T switch? If not, I'd check the fuses marked "Power" (40A), ECU-B, ECU-B1, and ECU-IGN...they're in the box under the hood. If you hear the motor humming with no action, probably a worn out gear. The fact that neither tilt nor telescoping work makes me think it's not a worn out or broken part...

PRAY that it's not the T/T ECU... :

There's a bunch of "how to fix it" threads in the 100-series section of ih8mud.com

heh

Steve
Old 03-23-16, 12:22 PM
offroadkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hankinid
My "D" light was removed about a month after I bought my '01 LX...too bright for night driving. If I'm moving forward and no other lights are on, I think it's fair to deduce I'm in Drive.

How are the BFG KO2s' road noise...the Toyo A/T's on the LX are due for replacement after around 80K. I'm also running 285-75's.

Do you hear anything if you move the T/T switch? If not, I'd check the fuses marked "Power" (40A), ECU-B, ECU-B1, and ECU-IGN...they're in the box under the hood. If you hear the motor humming with no action, probably a worn out gear. The fact that neither tilt nor telescoping work makes me think it's not a worn out or broken part...

PRAY that it's not the T/T ECU... :

There's a bunch of "how to fix it" threads in the 100-series section of ih8mud.com

heh

Steve
Steve, the KO2's are quiet! It also may be due to the extra sound deadener the LX comes with?

Thanks for the heads-up on the Tilt/Telescoping. I hear nothing when I use the switch. I was looking at somewhere online and it had me check a fuse behind the left kick panel in the cabin. I will look at the fuse box under the hood after work today!
Old 06-17-16, 05:14 AM
NorCalLX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey offroadkid, I just purchased my 2001 at the same dealership in San Rafael! SRM to be exact.
Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
offroadkid (03-27-24)
Old 06-17-16, 05:26 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to pay big bucks for real tires... you get them right from the factory! LOL. Those KO2s look great. Needing to get rid of these factory 20s.
Old 09-11-16, 10:22 PM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve, I've got 285/75s on my LC and they're very quiet, even after 45k miles. I'll be getting the KO2s when the KOs finally wear out. I'm probably on pace to replace them around 60k miles. I could probably squeak out 75k on the KOs, but I'm sure the last 30% of tread is pretty worthless offroad. :P
offroadkid (03-27-24)
Old 09-12-16, 07:55 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yotamd
Steve, I've got 285/75s on my LC and they're very quiet, even after 45k miles. I'll be getting the KO2s when the KOs finally wear out. I'm probably on pace to replace them around 60k miles. I could probably squeak out 75k on the KOs, but I'm sure the last 30% of tread is pretty worthless offroad. :P
Nice.

I can definitely tell the difference between 33 PSI (stock pressure on the 20s) and 35/36 or higher.
I went with Defender LTX, great tire, alternate was the KO2 so I am curious how they ride on the LC. How is the ride and pressure on yours? Thanks.
Old 09-13-16, 08:04 AM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Nice.

I can definitely tell the difference between 33 PSI (stock pressure on the 20s) and 35/36 or higher.
I went with Defender LTX, great tire, alternate was the KO2 so I am curious how they ride on the LC. How is the ride and pressure on yours? Thanks.
I think the ride is excellent. I typically run 32-34 and it's squishy and comfy.
Old 09-17-16, 01:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice, nearly 6 years later, our 2001 LX470 is by far the most missed car we've ever owned. Even though we traded it in with 170k miles, it still ended up being shipped to Nigeria according to the Autocheck haha. You should have kept the Collector's Edition, I haven't seen one of those in a long time. One of the tech's at our old Lexus dealer used to own one, and it had easily over 250k miles and still looked great.
Old 10-26-16, 12:38 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good, meaty enough tires to get where you need to go but conservative enough to keep it comfortable. I like it.
Old 11-01-16, 06:42 AM
charlesrg
Driver School Candidate

Looks great man, it looks like brand new. How tall did it ended up ? Wondering if I could do something like that and if it would fit in the garage.
Old 11-07-16, 03:54 PM
offroadkid
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for the kind words! It does fit in the garage, but not with the James Baroud tent on top! I haven't been in here for a while! I'll update the pics!
Old 12-31-16, 02:25 AM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadkid

Hey thanks for the kind words! It does fit in the garage, but not with the James Baroud tent on top! I haven't been in here for a while! I'll update the pics!
Hey Kid,

I'm picking up a grey 99LX470. I like your wheel color. Did you get them powder coated and can you say where?

Thanks,

Dock
offroadkid (01-02-17)
Old 01-02-17, 06:46 AM
offroadkid
Driver School Candidate

Dockof-bay,

The color is Tesla Sonic Gray, it's the color Tesla uses on their wheels!

Quick Reply: Our new 98 LX!