LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

How much of a Travel Trailer can you comfortably pull with a LX470?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 06:53 PM
cwmoser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of a Travel Trailer can you comfortably pull with a LX470?

Specifically how close to the max 6500 lb towing capacity?
Does length matter?
Type hitch?

Comfortable easy trailering I mean?
Old 03-17-16, 08:53 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Comfort is a 'subjective' thing. Your 100 year and travel trailer wind resistance affect your towing experience also. 5 speeds handle 70mph easier then 4 speeds. I assume you have a 2003 with the 5 speed? Are you using the OEM bumper hitch which is NOT rated for 6500lbs or the frame hitch from older / newer 100? Trailer brakes? Weight distribution hitch? AHC condition and/or air bags installed?
Length also affects the 100 greatly, it is a short rig. Don't want the tail to wag the dog.
100 is extremely well built and great off road but for heavy duty towing go with a Sequoia (or diesel Excursion if you can find one) if you need the room or a full size truck.
Old 03-17-16, 09:10 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by cwmoser

Specifically how close to the max 6500 lb towing capacity?
Does length matter?
Type hitch?

Comfortable easy trailering I mean?
I tow a lot...I've always gone with a normal rule of no more than 2/3 max. towing capacity, as well as verifying mgvw. That means not only trailer but people, food, pets, and anything else you plan on comfortable easy trailering.

Length doesn't matter assuming you've done your homework on weight numbers. It makes a hell of a difference backing-up and around corners on the kinds of highways that get you to out of town. If you encounter swaying once your start towing, pray you can fix it with a better hitch 'cause the alternative is a larger tow vehicle.

OEM series-100 hitches are class III. You'll need a good brake controller wired into the LX brake system. Your truck should be pre-wired with a 4-pin connector which will give you tail lights, brake lights and turn signals only. You'll probably need a 7-pin receptacle to fit your trailer, that will give you voltage to your trailer brakes, +12V you can use to charge your trailer battery(s), and trailer reverse lights.

Your LX should have a trailer converter pre-mounted aft of the tool kit and jack.

Misc...I absolutely would not tow in OD unless I was on a flat road with no headwind. If you feel the truck "hunting" for a gear, gear down. In and out of OD lockup due to towing is a major cause of transmission failure, not only Toyota, but any other tow vehicle you can name.

hth

Steve
Old 03-17-16, 10:10 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe 03+ come pre wired for 7 pin brakes. 03+ also have lower gears 4.30 instead of 4.10, so towing in 4th (OD) off keeps you in the power band better than the A340 towing in 3rd with 4.10 gear.
Longer trailers tend to weigh more so keeping the weight in check becomes a bigger problem. A longer tow vehicle will always tow better then a shorter one all else being equal. Unfortunately the 100 is probably the shortest 'full'size suv, so if towing is important get something else.