LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Rust Question on LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 07:04 AM
macmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Question on LX

Gents, does anyone know if Lexus Dips their cars for galvanization protection? I am buying a 2006 that is a NY car and worried it's going to arrive as a pile of rust.
Old 10-06-15, 10:35 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe so. There is a video on YouTube showing the RX factory and how the entire body gets dipped into a solution to prevent corrosion.
Old 10-07-15, 08:18 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
I believe so. There is a video on YouTube showing the RX factory and how the entire body gets dipped into a solution to prevent corrosion.
The RX has been built in Cambridge, Ontario since 2003. Current LX and Land Cruisers are built entirely in Japan by Toyota Auto Body...'Yota also used another shop to build the 100 series, the name escapes me at the moment but wife's LX has their sticker under the hood.

Off topic...the nice thing about the LX and Cruiser is that they're 100% Japanese content trucks...a LOT different than the RX.

Steve
Old 10-07-15, 08:21 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by macmann
Gents, does anyone know if Lexus Dips their cars for galvanization protection? I am buying a 2006 that is a NY car and worried it's going to arrive as a pile of rust.
Whether or not LX's or Land Cruisers (they come off the same assembly line) are "dipped" may not be the issue. The stuff used to melt salt on the east coast seems to rust anything and everything.

I would assume you asked for a bunch of pictures showing the underside of the truck on a lift, with both splash pans removed. 9+ years of exposure to east coast winters can come close to rusting titanium.

If I were you, I might consider seeing a bunch of underside pics prior to completing the deal.

Does the truck's history (get it on the Lexus Owners' page via the VIN) show the truck lived it's entire life on the east coast? You could search for "east coast rust" or similar on MUD...you may get sick to your stomach.

Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by hankinid; 10-07-15 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-07-15, 04:21 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all RX's in the US are built in Canada. The newer ones seem to be, but earlier years of third generation were also built in Japan. Even if it was built in Canada, I don't see why they would have different methods for assembling cars, or why they would dip the RX and not LX considering how the LX more likely to go through rougher terrain than an RX would.
Old 10-07-15, 05:14 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
Not all RX's in the US are built in Canada. The newer ones seem to be, but earlier years of third generation were also built in Japan. Even if it was built in Canada, I don't see why they would have different methods for assembling cars, or why they would dip the RX and not LX considering how the LX more likely to go through rougher terrain than an RX would.
OP might want to contact Lexus Customer Service and ask the question. In my experience, if the person who takes your call doesn't know the answer, they'll transfer you to someone who does.

Easy.

Steve
Old 10-09-15, 11:27 AM
macmann
Driver School Candidate

I received the truck a few days ago. It did have severe rust under. The paint is great. The mufflers are rusted to the point where there are several holes for the exhaust fumes to escape and engine sounds louder. Plenty of surface rust. The shield that protects the fuel tank is completely rusted out. Most of the rust is cosmetic and I will treat with phosphoric acid and then paint with a matt black paint. Overall I'm happy with the vehicle. Poor service history dictates me doing a major service which will happen this Saturday including all fluids and timing belt with water pump. She's got 135k on her right now. The interior detailed out very nicely and new floor mats made a big difference.
Old 10-09-15, 08:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by macmann
I received the truck a few days ago. It did have severe rust under. The paint is great. The mufflers are rusted to the point where there are several holes for the exhaust fumes to escape and engine sounds louder. Plenty of surface rust. The shield that protects the fuel tank is completely rusted out. Most of the rust is cosmetic and I will treat with phosphoric acid and then paint with a matt black paint. Overall I'm happy with the vehicle. Poor service history dictates me doing a major service which will happen this Saturday including all fluids and timing belt with water pump. She's got 135k on her right now. The interior detailed out very nicely and new floor mats made a big difference.
I am not surprised about the rust. Every car that sees those kind of winters will have it. Here in Chicago, any daily driven car that gets winter driven will rust out after a few years. It's especially noticeable on body-on-frame SUVs and pickup trucks since the frames are usually the first things to go. Oh well such is life! Unless you got holes in the frame, I would not worry about it.

P.S : My buddy does have a 92 Lexus SC300 that was very neglected. At about 125k miles, his rear subframe cracked and rear wheel caved in because the entire subframe was rusted through. Most shops quoted him in the area of $2k to install a new subframe (if he provided him the part). Ended up doing it for about $350 at the place my dad works so it wasn't too bad for him.
Old 10-12-15, 05:59 AM
macmann
Driver School Candidate

I performed services on both diffs, transfer case, ATF, Coolant, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Brake Flush, PS fluid, Suspension Fluid over the weekend. I also treated most of the rust I could get to with Phosphoric Acid and then painted matte black on frame. Looks great now. Nothing was rusted bad except the center muffler and rear muffler which I have replacements for. They are completely rotted out. The shield covering the fuel tank is not in the best shape. Does anyone make any aftermarket replacement of it?
Old 10-27-15, 09:38 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

LX and GX use steel frame. RX does not. My 2010 gx rusted after 3 months like it was 3 years old. LX too has same issue. I coated my 2014 gx underside with fluid film and after 1 winter no rust at all looks good as new.
Old 01-11-16, 06:54 AM
krye
Rookie

I would not worry about the fuel tank shield if you are not off roading. My NH 2000 LX has plenty of rust there as well. I do not have the catalytic converter heat shield on one side either. When I purchased the vehicle 4 years ago it was gone and never replaced it. The one on the other side rattled, so I put some small bolts in it to tighten it up. I also replaced one of the rear brake lines