LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New to the LX!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 09:16 PM
OTFIN843
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the LX!

Hey guys,
First post here and have a lot to ask!

First is lighting, I want to convert all of my lights to white LEDs. I have researched and couldn't find any good sources that showed what bulbs are which. Is there a website that shows this? I want to convert all interior, puddle lights, headlights to HID, fog lights to HIDs, Don't know what i should do with the high beams, i want to make the DRLs brighter. Again all of the lights, i am kind of a nut when it comes to lighting. Is there anything i need to do for HID installation for both headlights and fogs? I have a great website for HIDs, just need bulb numbers for both.

I just ordered the "2007 LED tail lights". Wondering if i need to do anything to get those installed.

I also want to upgrade the reverse lights on the rear gate. The old ones do not have them and the new ones do. Any way to do this?

Where is the best place to order the 18" wheels?

What do you guys recommend for lifts? I want to run a bigger set of tires.

What is the best route to go on for factory roof racks?

I know thats a lot to ask and i hope i didn't overwhelm people on my first post!

I have owned a few other trucks and fully rely and am active in those forums. Hope to continue that over to the LX world!

Thanks guys
Old 09-27-15, 12:21 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by OTFIN843
First is lighting, I want to convert all of my lights to white LEDs. I have researched and couldn't find any good sources that showed what bulbs are which. Is there a website that shows this?

Go here...plug in your model year, which you don't specify, and go forward.

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

I want to convert all interior, puddle lights, headlights to HID, fog lights to HIDs, Don't know what i should do with the high beams, i want to make the DRLs brighter. Again all of the lights, i am kind of a nut when it comes to lighting. Is there anything i need to do for HID installation for both headlights and fogs? I have a great website for HIDs, just need bulb numbers for both.

HID's do an extremely crappy job if the headlamp is a reflector (like the high-beams) v. a projector (like the low beams and fogs). I replaced my low beams and fogs with HID's from DDM Tuning about 3-4 years ago. Difference in lighting is unbelievable, and with HID low's you'll find the oem high beams are superfluous. The best high beam replacements, unless you open the headlight assembly and add projectors, are 9011 HIR bulbs...you will be blown away by the difference compared to the oem bulbs.

DRL's cannot be made brighter...the DRL system puts both high beam lamps in series, the wattage and light output drop by half. Best thing I think you can do is disconnect the DRL's and use low beams as needed (e.g., 2-lane roads in the country, etc.).

Low beams now use 50 watt ballasts and 6000K bulbs with a relay, stay away from higher temperatures or you maybe mistaken for an idiot that thinks blue-colored headlamps actually put out more light. My fogs are 5000K with 35W ballasts with no relay harness.

I just ordered the "2007 LED tail lights". Wondering if i need to do anything to get those installed.

Remove the older lights, install the newer. If your driver's side tail light is in good shape, pm me...mine has a crack and I could use a good replacement, depending on your LX model year.

I also want to upgrade the reverse lights on the rear gate. The old ones do not have them and the new ones do. Any way to do this?

Adding later-model tail gate lights will end up giving you twice the crappy illumination that you get now. Best to add back up lights or mini-fogs just below the rear bumper. Toyota gives you two bolts on the outermost underside of the bumper to do that.

Where is the best place to order the 18" wheels?

That would depend on which wheels you want...Tundra take-off steelies are good for snow tires, or later model LX/LC wheels if you don't like the looks of steel.

What do you guys recommend for lifts? I want to run a bigger set of tires.

I've no experience with 18's on an older LX, but you can use up to 295-75x16's on your stock wheels without rubbing. Beyond that, check the 100 series forum on ih8mud.com.

What is the best route to go on for factory roof racks?

See of someone on mud who's added a non-oem rack wants to sell their oem rack.

I know thats a lot to ask and i hope i didn't overwhelm people on my first post!

I have owned a few other trucks and fully rely and am active in those forums. Hope to continue that over to the LX world!

Thanks guys
Hope all that helps.

Steve
Old 09-28-15, 09:30 AM
OTFIN843
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am sorry i didn't post that. Rookie mistake. I have a 2001 lx470 with nav/premium sound. completely stock
Old 09-29-15, 10:32 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by OTFIN843
i am sorry i didn't post that. Rookie mistake. I have a 2001 lx470 with nav/premium sound. completely stock
No problem...you've got the same year/model I've had for the last 6 years.

You can add a sig line showing the make/model so it shows up on every post.

For more great info, and a ton more posts (especially those related to diy stuff), join ih8mud.com and check the 100 series forum. I think you'll enjoy it.

PM or email me from here if you have any other questions.

hth

Steve