LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

No Blower/No AC...

Old 02-23-14, 01:49 PM
lsolomon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Blower/No AC...

I am the proud owner of a 1996 LX450. The Motor and frame are solid. Just some interior wear, but not too shabby for 223,000.

I have no heat or A/C working in this. Now, with that said, I have checked all fuses, relays, replaced them just for the heck of it, checked fluid levels, and what not. The auxillary rear heat works like a champ, pumping out some nice warm air. I can hear the louvers moving when the buttons are pushed for defrost/floor, front, etc. The lights do NOT come on for the A/C button, Auto, or fresh/recurculated air. And, of course, the fan does not move at all.

If I don't have to go to the dealer to fix it, I don't want to, but I would like to get the blower working before summer, as KC gets pretty warm about June...

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-24-14, 10:09 AM
kwatt1
Rookie

You have a research project on your hands. I'd get a subscription to the Toyota Tech site and look through the wiring diagrams. You can clip lots of stuff while you are there.

You will for sure need a VOM. Check that your relays actually have power. I've seen fuses that look good only to find out that they were blown. You can check continuity when the fuse it out with the VOM.

I don't know what the controls look like for the 1996 but I would not concern myself with lights; they do burn out over time.

Check voltage to the motor resistor block. If you have voltage there, check to the motor. If you have voltage there your motor is shot. If you don't but you have power to the resistor block, the resistor block is done.... you get the idea. If you have the wiring diagram, start from the fuse and work outward.

A/C is a little more complicated. You'll actually need the wiring diagram to look at all the controls and switches. There will be a low pressure switch that will prevent the A/C compressor from running.
Old 02-25-14, 07:37 PM
lsolomon
Driver School Candidate

Well, here is another monkey wrench for the the problem...I was driving home yesterday, and noticed that my feet were getting warm. All of the sudden, the lights are working on the control panel, and I have a blower and A/C working!! Things worked great until I got home. Shut the Beast down, and about 30 minutes later, got in and the controls were out again. Still have warm air blowing out under speed, but lost control again. It is somewhere in the wiring, so I am guessing, as everything came on and worked like a breeze, pun intended.

BTW, thank you for the insight on the wiring schematics. I will be checking this out!!
Old 02-26-14, 08:48 AM
kwatt1
Rookie

You have a loose connection somewhere. treat that seriously. I had a Suburban that had a loose power feed to the blower motor from the resistor block. When it because a problem and I tried to fix it, I found the wires melted and exposed wiring which could have led to a fire in the vehicle