LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

98 LX470 vs 2004 4Runner

Old 12-30-13, 04:31 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 98 LX470 vs 2004 4Runner

I am looking for some opinions. I have had a 2004 4runner (V8 4WD) for many years and have just recently noticed a leak coming from the transfer case/actuator area. I have been quoted between 1500-2500 to fix the issue as it sounds like the actuator will need to be replaced to guarantee a fix.

I have the opportunity to sell my 4runner and pick up a 1998 LX470 without picking up a car payment. What would you do?

Vehicle Info:

4Runner - 131,000 miles and a fluid leak. Cosmetically in average condition but has some spider cracks in dash (that annoys me and seems to be a known issue with the GX/4Runner lineup)

LX470 - 152,000 miles and more cosmetic scratches/dents. Also, the ride height is not currently functional (I am not sure this matters). Interior is in about the same shape less the spider cracks in the dash)

Both vehicles have been well maintained (I know the current owner) and service on both vehicles are up-to-date. The only issue is the leak on the 4runner. Both have the same toyota 4.7 liter engine and both are all-wheel drive. The LX has a shifter to shift the vehicle between lo and hi and the 4runner has a button.

My main goal is to pick the car that will last me the longest (another 4-5 years). I do like the thought of picking up the 3rd row seat and more interior space.

Thoughts?

(BTW, my wife totaled my GS4 a few years ago and I just sold my GS350 last month to buy a mini van for the wife...child number 3 is on the way).
Old 12-31-13, 03:05 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Id stick with the 4runner, the air suspension can get reAlly costly and sometimes it will become undrivable depending on what happens on the LX470.
Old 12-31-13, 03:24 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Id stick with the 4runner, the air suspension can get reAlly costly and sometimes it will become undrivable depending on what happens on the LX470.
What would it cost to repair a suspension issue on the LX? If I keep the 4Runner, I will have to pay 2k to fix the leak.
Old 01-01-14, 01:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It depends, there are 4 sensors, and to replace one is $600, if its the pump look at at least a grand. If you have to replace the actual shock itll cost a fortune. Some people just switch out to a non-air setup, but thats expensive as well. Its hard to know without seeing the car
Old 01-02-14, 10:08 AM
kwatt1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The repair goes like this.

The dampener is about $500 each. There are 4. I have 146K miles and they are still good. They go bad if the AHU is not serviced or very quickly if you put anything other than AHU fluid in the reservoir.

The shocks are between $167 /$188 each front/rear respectively.

Can't speak to the pump because it appears you can buy it in parts or the whole works which translates to $300-$1000.

Look at OEM sites. The prices seem to vary significantly. Also, if you get the part numbers, from the Lexus sites, you can go to a Toyota site and get the same parts for less money. I have used toyotapartsoverstock.com before. Not the fastest site for getting parts but not unreasonable.

Last edited by kwatt1; 01-02-14 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 09:40 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AHC System is a significant issue. Some opt to go with the regular shock set up of a LandCruiser. The AHC system is very nice when functioning. The ride height is always level when traveling with a load. The sportiness can be adjusted - I usually dial up with a loaded LX. As kwatt1 indicated, it is a costly fix - but satisfying. It is important to change the AHC fluid every 60K miles. So far my original system has over 220K miles on it and still works well. I have used the low setting frequently for in/out access.

With a family, I would prefer the LX. I had a 2003 4Runner V8 and it was great for running around town and short trips. The LX is better on the highway and seems more stable in the snow. The 98 will not have VSC/TRAC like the 4Runner, but I don't see that as a major issue. I had a Previa Alltrac without VSC/TRAC and it was super in the snow. In 2000, the LX got VSC/TRAC, and mine (2001) works effectively with less intrusiveness than my 4Runner.

There is a lot of info on the IH8MUD web site regarding LandCruisers/LX470 aka the 100 model. There are even comparisons with the 4RNR. The LX will get about 14 MPG whereas the 4RNR V8 is about 17 MPG.
Old 01-04-14, 10:27 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Thanks for the info.

I have been testing the AHC system and it seems to have some issues. It will raise however it does not stay raised. It looks like the AHC reservoir is low and it looks like the fluid may need to be replaced. Would low fluid levels cause the issue with the height not staying in high mode (seems to pump up, start to lower, then re-pump up)?

I am tempted to add new fluid and purge the lines however am hoping somebody here can give me input as to whether or not this may fix the issue. I had to spend the money and time if this won't help.
Old 01-05-14, 06:56 AM
kwatt1
Rookie

You need to understand how the system works before you mess around with it or you will find yourself with a very expensive repair job.

First, if the fluid has more than 60K miles on it, it needs to be flushed/replaced. It's about $40 for a can of AHU fluid. With a 10 ro 12 mm wrentch, piece of tube, catch basin and about 1 hr you can to the whole thing without breaking a sweat. Do NOT use anything other than AHU fluid. Not even to test it. If you contaminate with anything else you will ruin the system. Get it from a LEXU dealer. I wouldn;t even use a Toyota dealer.

2nd, the system itself has default behavior.
-If you move it either way of "N" and move the vehicle much over a few miles per hour the system will automatically reset itself back to "N" no matter what you try to do. You will see the "N" blinking as it moves.
-If you change the height and shut the vehicle off it will automatically lower itself to its resting position. If you sit at a stop long enough it will also lower itself to its resting position - if your hydraulic cylinders are getting sticky (like mine) its noticeable.

3rd, each side of the front is controlled by a height sensor. The rear is controlled by 1 sensor. I find that rather stupid given the cost of the system.

At full height, the resevior will look low. Vehicle all the way down and it will look high. There are graduated marks on the resvoir. I think the difference between the high and low should be about 9+ of those marks. If its not, I read that there is a problem with 1 or more of the dampeners. You'd already know if they are bad by the way the vehicle rides since I've read that it would ride like a rock.

The system is closed. If there is a change in fluid level it will either be from a leak or 1 or more failed dampeners. the former is obvious. The latter is caused when the membrane brakes the fluid fills the void in the dampener that used to hold the nitrogen seperated by the membrane. Don;t forget to look at he hydraulic cylinders for any sign of discoloration. If there is, the cylinder is leaking. I read they are difficult to replace. I have 1 leaking and 1 sticking so I will post something when I get around to replacing it when it warms up.

Knowing all this... when you raise the vehicle. Does it stay up for a while and then drop down and then raise itself up in a cycle? or does it raise up, sit and then fall and stay at the lowered height.? or does it raise up and then fall down and stay lowered? When it lowers does it fall all the way down to the lowest positon or does it stop at the "N position. BTW, you should measure to a known position (fenter curve or something) so you know the height at each position.

Last edited by kwatt1; 01-05-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 07:43 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Last night when I tested the system, it would raise and lower in cycles. The LX was in park the entire time.

I must have hit Lo when I finished checking everything last night because when I went back out to take a look this AM, the vehicle was sitting low and the reservoir level was sitting between the min and max marks. I selected neutral and almost all of the fluid in the reservoir drained out. I think it is running out of fluid when I try to move it to "high." The odd thing is that when I set the level back to lo, there was only about .5 to 1 inch (max) in the reservoir.

Just out of curiosity, what color is new AHC oil? I have read conflicting information. I have read that it is reddish in color and I have read that it is yellowish in color.

Regardless, I plan to pick up new fluid and flush/clean the system.
Old 01-05-14, 01:59 PM
kwatt1
Rookie

The fluid is PINK. Seriously. A light pink. The old fluid will be grayish - if memory serves correctly.

I would go leak checking if i were you. It's an easy system to inspect.. the fluid enters at the top of each hydraulic cylinder. Under ther the running board is each dampener. There is an accumulator as well which is between the pump and the front dampener

If you don't have a leak I think 1 or more of your dampeners may have ruptured.

If one of them ruptured, you will have a pretty rough ride. I am guessing here, but I imagine that the dampener that ruptures would cause a gas bubble since it would be between the control valve and the cylinder. When you flush, pay attention if there is any air bubble.

FYI, the flush will take the entire can. When you flush, raise the vehicle. When it settles, use a hand vacuum pump to drain the resevoir. Fill it to at least the max mark. Start with the accumulator then do each wheel at thri respecitve dampener. there is a brake bleed like fitting that drains it. keep in mind the vehicle will fall as the fluid bleeds out. You want to create a loop with the drain tube to prevent air from entering the system. Let the system re-pump up each time.

If you suspect contiamination, you need to flush it 2 to 3 times. There is a site that sells the dampener that says it takes 3 flushes.
Old 01-06-14, 07:21 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Thanks for the input kwatt1!

I picked up some fluid today and added enough to fully test the system. Good news is that the LX is now raising and holding in the high position. Lo to high variance is about 7-8 bars (as best as I could tell on uneven ground).

I plan to complete the fluid change this week/weekend.
Old 01-07-14, 09:05 PM
trichards7
Driver School Candidate

Interesting question. I also had a '04 v8 4runner and now have a '99 LX 470 and they are very different trucks. Though they have the same engines, the 4Runner was muuuuch more sprightly. Felt much lighter, faster and nimble. However the LX is way more luxurious, spacious and well mannered.

I prefer the LX by miles, but I do miss the pick up from the 4Runner. I would be very cautious of the height issues with the LX, as that's a really expensive fix, but you can just get that checked out and know the money differences.

good luck either way!
Old 01-14-14, 10:28 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Toyota fluid is the same whether obtained from Lexus or Toyota. It comes in a sealed metal can of 2.5L (08886-01805). Fresh fluid will be clear or a light pink depending on the batch. Old is gray. I use almost 2 cans every 60K miles and drain thru all the accumulators and reservoir until all are draining fresh fluid. The system performance improves with the fresh fluid and rides smoother.