LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

My lx470 2006 needs axle boots?

Old 12-11-13, 02:54 PM
rxrom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My lx470 2006 needs axle boots?

Took my lx470 2006 for oil change. Lexus dealer said both front axle boots are leaking and need to be replaced. It will cost $475 for each. The truck only has 61,000. Isn't it to solid for a repair like this with the low mileage. Last oil change 5k and six months ago. Every thing was ok. I didn't run over anything. I haven't looked under the truck myself.
Is this a common problem with these trucks?

Thanks
Roman
Old 12-12-13, 05:04 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2010, the dealer said that my cv axel boots at 119,000 miles were slinging grease ...Took it to my mechanic and he suggested that I wait until it started to make some noise before I really needed to be concerned.... I have driven over 30,000 miles in the past four years and have not experienced any problem..... The rubber boots do have a tendency to crack and leak fluid. Easier and more expensive to replace the entire cv unit than just replace the rubber boot itself...It is your call on whether to replace the cv joints or whether to take a wait and see attitude..I decided to take the wait and see attitude.. I would definitely get another mechanic to look at your leaking cv boots...I have had the dealer tell me I need rear shocks and actuator valves ($1180) and that was not true ...Hope this helps....
Old 12-13-13, 07:50 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

My 2000 LX was slinging grease from both boots at 123k. Two hose clamps OVER the stock clamps stopped it up nicely. Others have done the same thing and I can't see a downside to it.
Old 12-15-13, 08:01 AM
retired
Driver

Originally Posted by midwest2
My 2000 LX was slinging grease from both boots at 123k. Two hose clamps OVER the stock clamps stopped it up nicely. Others have done the same thing and I can't see a downside to it.
I have read about this solution. Buying stainless steel clamps at Home Depot.....I have not tried it. Excellent advice...ROLL TIDE

Last edited by retired; 12-15-13 at 08:04 AM. Reason: addition of info
Old 12-15-13, 10:41 AM
rxrom
Driver School Candidate

What kind of hose clamps? What size? I will look where the grease is coming from.
Old 12-15-13, 07:47 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxrom
What kind of hose clamps? What size? I will look where the grease is coming from.
I'd bet the grease is comming from the small end of the boot. It will be obvious when you get under there. Buy the smallest clamp that will fit over the old clamps. You can always cut off any extra slack once you have them tighened down.
Old 12-17-13, 01:11 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Small ends leaking on LX or 100 Series is very common. You can use the hose clamps or buy a crimping tool and original style clamps from any auto parts place ($25) and just replace the original clamp. I did this 4 years ago and no issues as yet. With hose clamps if they are very fat you take the risk of actually cutting into the boot if you tighten too much but have seen it done both ways plenty on ih8mud.com.
Old 12-18-13, 02:34 PM
retired
Driver

Default additional question

Originally Posted by rxrom
Another question............Is the 1.75 inch to 2.75 hose clamp from Home Depot workable?...They have a pack of 10 for $9.49.........Thanks
Old 01-04-14, 08:51 AM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my Lexus dealer purchase the clamps for me. they were cheap and the right spec.
Old 01-21-14, 06:19 PM
retired
Driver

Default hose clamp size

Originally Posted by retired
Another question............Is the 1.75 inch to 2.75 hose clamp from Home Depot workable?...They have a pack of 10 for $9.49.........Thanks
Just had the clamps installed correct size 1 1/4 to 1 1/2... worked well and solved problem
Old 01-22-14, 09:02 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

My dealer offers the hose clamp band aid for our customers. It is a fine solution, you just want to make sure it hasn't lost too much grease before you do that. You can buy CV boot clamps at any auto parts store, or the easy thing to do is use a hose clamp.

I would not recommend just letting it go until it makes noise, I can't see how that would be a cost effective solution...
Old 01-23-14, 05:28 PM
retired
Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon
My dealer offers the hose clamp band aid for our customers. It is a fine solution, you just want to make sure it hasn't lost too much grease before you do that. You can buy CV boot clamps at any auto parts store, or the easy thing to do is use a hose clamp.

I would not recommend just letting it go until it makes noise, I can't see how that would be a cost effective solution...
Correct ...I agree... do not let the boots continue to leak...Use the clamps and solve the problem...My mechanic was unaware the hose clamps were a problem solver...The dealer said I needed cv boots...The clamp not only keeps the grease in, but the moisture out.......
Old 06-16-14, 10:17 AM
heijmen
Driver School Candidate

How can I tell how much grease has been lost, so that I don't clamp it without any grease in there?

thx!

rj
Old 06-16-14, 10:41 AM
chingwodap
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hose clamp solution works for a while...as long as you haven't had the issue for too long and have a good amount of grease remaining in the CV Joint. If it's been leaking grease for a while, and you think it's time to replace the boot, get some new aftermarket front axles instead, the parts will be new and only run about $100 each axle for the part if I recall correctly from when I had it done a few years ago.
Old 06-16-14, 01:16 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by heijmen
How can I tell how much grease has been lost, so that I don't clamp it without any grease in there?

thx!

rj
If you dont have any clicking or grinding your joint is probably ok. As for the grease, if you remove the factory clamp you can also stick the tip of the grease gun between shaft and edge of boot and just shoot a bunch of grease in there just to fill it up before you put a new clamp on it. I did this and used a new clamp and have had no issues.

Just my opinion but if you do need axles I would suggest having the oem ones rebuilt vs. the aftermarket ones that are generally not as good quality as oem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My lx470 2006 needs axle boots?