LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New to LX - a few newbie questions and issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 07:20 PM
trichards7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LX - a few newbie questions and issues.

Hi All,
I just picked up a '99 LX 470. 100K MI, all service done according to the book from a Lexus dealer, clean as can be, and awesome. My first LX!

Anyway, I'm just learning the truck now and hoping you guys can help me with a few questions.

- Is there a way to program the key remote so it unlocks all the doors on the first push of the button?

- my AHC won't stay on low going more than about 5 MPH, which is a pain in parking garages. Any way to adjust?

- There's a slight shutter I feel in the wheel and brake pedal when it's cold and i turn the wheel backing up first thing in the morning (like backing out of the driveway.) Any thoughts on what this could be? I took it to Lexus when I first got it to check it out and they said everything was fine, but didn't realize this at the time

- Also, when cold and I hit the brakes going fairly slow (under 50MPH) I hear what sounds like a quiet mechanical actuator going (kinda mid-high pitch- steady tone), it starts with the brake pedal push, but doesn't stop when I let off the pedal. It lasts for about 5-10 seconds. Any thoughts?

thanks everyone
Old 12-20-13, 08:46 AM
kwatt1
Rookie

The height adjustment goes back to the N setting when the speed picks up. I assume it does that for stability, wear and geometry.

Brake shudder in the pedal is usually rotors but it can be a host of things. I am dealing with shutter which has become variable with temperature, so I am thi8nking bushings.

The last issue sounds like worn pads. You can also get the shutter, as you noted, from this because the caliper pistons are extended way out. It's usually how I know the pads are done. Note that you may have 4 piston calipers on the front. They are a pain to deal with and can create wear issues. Look closely at the rotors as well. If they are worn you will have to turn/replace them, which then leads to the whole repack the wheel bearings which should be done every 60K miles. I suggest doing the bearings because in my own experience, I waited to do it when the pads needed replacing and there was evidence that the bearing may have turned, at some point, on the spindle. You'll find the vehicle will stay truer and feel less wobbly if you do it right.

Make sure you know how many miles are on the timing belt. 90K is the replacement interval. I went quite a bit past it, but I don't advise it.

AHU and brake fluid are replaced at 60K. Don't mess up the AHU replacement. it's a simple job. Get the AHU from Lexus and don't substitute anything for it or you will be having a very expensive repair ($2000+) on your hands.

The upper control arms are poor quality and subject to early failure. Not a huge job to replace then
Old 12-21-13, 05:12 PM
trichards7
Driver School Candidate

Hi Kwatt1, thanks so much for the info.
Old 01-03-14, 10:38 PM
LXPearl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on a nice low mileage, well cared for LX. The key remote is not programmable to my knowledge. The AHC is designed to use low for loading/unloading, so what you see is normal. Similarly in high mode, it will move down to the Normal setting, but at a higher speed to allow for off roading.

Brakes done well are very smooth and quiet in the LX using OEM pads. Rotors can warp, but you usually sense wobble if warped. The shudder can come from an irregular surface on the rotor or from cracks or glaze on the pads. I do a break in for my brake jobs that provides a "bedding in" process involving a series of partial stops and a cooling off period. The process is described on the tech info at the StopTech website. This has worked very well for me. The idea is to prevent pad material deposits on the rotors to allow smooth stops.

Not certain about the sound on braking, but it could be the AHC pump adjusting to the shift in weight to the front. You will find nose dives are less intense with AHC. It is also nice on long trips because the LX is always at level even with a big load in back. Early on I used to forget I had a load in back until I tried to accelerate.

You can check out the IH8Mud site for more info on the 100 model (LC/LX) and a lot of info on the pre-2000 models without VSC/ATRAC.
Old 01-05-14, 05:22 PM
LXBriGuy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About the Key Programming: Yes, i believe it can be done. I have a 07 and i took it to the dealer to have them program the vehicle settings. With these LX's they have codes to program different options for you, and this is one of them.

I am sure someone on here has figured out a way to do it without the dealer involved, but for me it was just a 15minute visit.

You can also find a list of the other optional settings the new owners had to chose from that the dealer would them program. Like: how long your lights stay on after turning off the truck, how long before the truck automatically locks itself, rolling down all the windows and sunroof while holding the unlock remote button, etc.
Old 01-06-14, 12:35 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trichards7
Hi All,

- Also, when cold and I hit the brakes going fairly slow (under 50MPH) I hear what sounds like a quiet mechanical actuator going (kinda mid-high pitch- steady tone), it starts with the brake pedal push, but doesn't stop when I let off the pedal. It lasts for about 5-10 seconds. Any thoughts?

thanks everyone
Let me caveat this by saying I'm not certain they share the same system, but the sound you described sounds exactly like a similar noise we have on our 4th gen 4Runner V8.

The sound is the hydraulic brake assist system (working normally). The system is repressurizing the accumulator. You'll notice the pump will kick on after you start the car for a min or less as well.

Since the 4runner & LX share some other features, I ASSUME this may be the same thing.
Old 01-07-14, 08:44 PM
trichards7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the tips guys. Appreciated.