LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Replace LH Exhaust Manifold LX470

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 02:11 PM
smithlr08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace LH Exhaust Manifold LX470

I am curious if anyone has replaced the LH (Drivers side) exhaust manifold on a 2001 LX470. I have the service repair manuals but it does not even talk about the exhaust manifolds. I am not sure if I missed it in the manuals and I am looking for some guidance. Please let me know if anyone has this knowledge. Once I perform this procedure I will post it to the forum. Thanks
Old 09-14-13, 05:02 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smithlr08
I am curious if anyone has replaced the LH (Drivers side) exhaust manifold on a 2001 LX470. I have the service repair manuals but it does not even talk about the exhaust manifolds. I am not sure if I missed it in the manuals and I am looking for some guidance. Please let me know if anyone has this knowledge. Once I perform this procedure I will post it to the forum. Thanks

All I know is that it's a PITA...I'd love to see a nice tutorial with pics though. I think the book time is something like 7 hrs per side. I too need at least one and probably both manifolds. I have wondered if it wouldn't be easier to just yank the engine and do the manifolds, motor mounts, timing belt, all hoses, steering rack bushings ect all in one shot. I'm guessing the engine could be out in a few hours, and the manifolds would be very easy (if no studs break) with the engine out.
Old 09-14-13, 07:28 PM
smithlr08
Driver School Candidate

Well I can tell you to remove the engine is quite the effort based on the manual. You have to remove to hood, radiator, wiring, etc. and even the glove box on the inside of car to disconnect the wiring. I believe the drivers side exhaust can be removed by taking the motor mounts loose and moving the engine up a couple of inches. I do not know this for sure until I try it. Since I have not found ay information on this topic I will post what I end up doing. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-17-13, 12:34 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to get mine replaced as well. One day...

Some digging led to a post on IH8MUD about aftermarket headers on a 100-Series. This post has torque specs and instructions on how to replace both sides. I believe there's also a post somewhere with photos but I don't seem to have the link anymore.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...uestion-2.html
Old 09-17-13, 11:18 AM
Joe50
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did the passenger side on mine. It did take a long time, but was not that difficult. I welded the crack up on mine and put it back on with no issues. If you don't have a welder, take it to an exhaust shop and they can do the welding for you. Be sure they weld it on the inside of the tube. If they weld on the outside of the tube the flange will not be able to seat properly. There are 3 nuts on the collector and 8 nuts on each of the manifolds (after you remove the heat shield). You will need long extensions, swivel sockets, swivels and I recommend having an impact. I was surprised with the amount of room available. I was able to pull the manifold out after unbolting it without removing anything else.
Old 09-18-13, 04:32 PM
smithlr08
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the information and feedback. I am waiting on the parts to arrive then I will spray the bolts, wait overnight and try to take off the DS exhaust manifold. I appreciated the information from the http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...uestion-2.html link. It will work great hopefully and I will not have to break any bolts. I will keep you posted once I am done.

Thanks again!
Old 09-20-13, 06:00 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Take pics!
Old 09-21-13, 06:40 PM
smithlr08
Driver School Candidate

For sure. I will probably do it this next weekend. I am waiting on parts.
Old 09-26-13, 12:41 PM
smithlr08
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing DS exhaust manifold

Well here goes!...
I started taking apart the 2001 LX470 to replace the Driver's side (DS) exhaust manifold. I used the steps which was posted earlier. I had a few problems but was pretty straight forward.

1) Jacked up front of SUV and placed jack stand under the frame close to the driver's door.
2) Next I removed the DS front wheel and the Engine under cover(s)
3) Below is a picture looking into the exhaust manifold after removing the wheel.

4) Next I loosened the motor mounts - one of the 2 nuts in the motor mount is welding to the mount. It is the one towards the front of the SUV.

5) Once you have removed the bolts in the motor mount, remove the nut and bolts on the front exhaust pipe. Also remove the O2 sensor and disconnect the wiring.

6) Next jack up the engine about 3 inches, it will not go much higher. Also check to make sure when you are jacking the engine to watch out for the fan blade and housing in the front of the engine. As you raise the engine you can pull the plastic blades out of the way.

7) Now the fun part - make sure you spray PB Blaster on all the nuts and bolts. All of my studs unscrewed out of the Cylinder head instead of the nuts coming off.

8) Remove all of the bolts in the heatshield and keep if you are replacing the exhaust manifold with an OEM part. The heatshield would not come out even after raising the engine so I moved it up and down so I could get to the exhaust manifold bolts.

9) Once I removed the studs/nuts on the exhaust manifold I was able to move both parts toward the rear of the SUV and get them out.

10) Clean all surfaces

11) Replace the studs in the cyl head. I used antisieze on all studs before replacing them.

12) Next I replaced the exhaust manifold and the heatshield. I torqued the nuts to 46 ft-lbs.

13) Lower the engiine

14) install the bolt and nut for the motor mount.

15) Install the O2 sensor and connect the wiring.

16) When connecting the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold, I left the studs out of the exhaust manifold until I match the pipe with the manifold. It was much easier than trying to get the pipe over the studs.

17) Install the fender liner

18) Install front wheel - You are done at this point.

I uploaded pictures but not sure if they are in the correct order. I could only load 5 pics!
Attached Thumbnails Replace LH Exhaust Manifold LX470-before-removal.jpg   Replace LH Exhaust Manifold LX470-motor-mount_before.jpg   Replace LH Exhaust Manifold LX470-motor-mount_1.jpg   Replace LH Exhaust Manifold LX470-exh-pipe.jpg   Replace LH Exhaust Manifold LX470-eng-under-covers.jpg  

Old 09-26-13, 02:26 PM
smithlr08
Driver School Candidate

Since the last post did not show all of the pictures I created a word document which I woould be glad to email to anyone. Just send me an email at smithlr08@gmail.com

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-13, 10:59 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Thanks for the write up and pics! I'll be sending you an email shortly
Old 10-01-13, 07:38 PM
RobRed
Rookie

Nice job on the pics and write up!

I have a blog dedicated to 100 series Land Cruisers (LX470) - Here is an overview of the manifolds (headers):

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2011/09/dt-he...uick-overview/