LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Better than Landcruiser 100?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 11:51 PM
reckless7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Better than Landcruiser 100?

I recently bought a 2002 LX470 (my first LC). I have had 2 G-Wagons from the 80s and 2 Nissan Pathfinders. I am really enjoying the LX right now and just curious if it gets any better than this? My mind is not able to fathom a Large 8 seater SUV more fun to drive than this. I love how I don't have to worry about it breaking down and giving me any problems. I am sure a 03-07 might be marginally better but I wasn't interested in spending more than $15k unless there was a good reason. I find the power to be adequate for my racing needs. I am constantly driving around 80+ mph everywhere in this thing.

I want to upgrade it really bad but can't find any upgrades I think are worth the money. Performance wise I am satisfied. I did buy wind deflectors and want to buy some kind of grill to give the car a more aggressive look/feel. I am considering the Jaos rear skid plate for the back but not sure if it will rust in Chicago winters. The ARB front bumper looks too aggressive for my taste.

I would like to off road but don't have the time and energy to take it anywhere. I am in the urban jungle and have too many toys to be tinkering with every weekend.

The only other SUV I felt that was remotely close to the LC for my needs is the QX56 but I drove the latest one and came back feeling disappointed plus it looks like a pure soccer moms car. Extremely effeminate looking. The 200 LC and the latest one are nice but extremely costly for marginal gains in my book.

Please feel free to comment. I really don't have time to spend test driving every vehicle that I am interested in and before buying the LX I was set on buying an International MXT. Unfortunately I don't think I can handle anything much taller than the LX for body roll reasons. I am constantly pushing my vehicles too aggressively.
Old 06-09-13, 05:01 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Only thing better than a 100 series is the 80 series.
Old 06-10-13, 11:15 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with the OP it doesn't get better than an LX470. I even have LX450's and they don't compare.
Old 07-08-13, 09:45 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I used to have a 06lx470, traded for a lx570 while the newer ones are much comfy and nicer..the lx470 had a different feel to it- it felt indestructible like a tank.. The newer ones does not... feel the same way. I drove that q56 too. Its one of the weirdest looking SUVs around

I am always looking for a older LX(2nd gen) for another car just to have..i might pick up a 06 if i can find for under 25k

Originally Posted by reckless7
I recently bought a 2002 LX470 (my first LC). I have had 2 G-Wagons from the 80s and 2 Nissan Pathfinders. I am really enjoying the LX right now and just curious if it gets any better than this? My mind is not able to fathom a Large 8 seater SUV more fun to drive than this. I love how I don't have to worry about it breaking down and giving me any problems. I am sure a 03-07 might be marginally better but I wasn't interested in spending more than $15k unless there was a good reason. I find the power to be adequate for my racing needs. I am constantly driving around 80+ mph everywhere in this thing.

I want to upgrade it really bad but can't find any upgrades I think are worth the money. Performance wise I am satisfied. I did buy wind deflectors and want to buy some kind of grill to give the car a more aggressive look/feel. I am considering the Jaos rear skid plate for the back but not sure if it will rust in Chicago winters. The ARB front bumper looks too aggressive for my taste.

I would like to off road but don't have the time and energy to take it anywhere. I am in the urban jungle and have too many toys to be tinkering with every weekend.

The only other SUV I felt that was remotely close to the LC for my needs is the QX56 but I drove the latest one and came back feeling disappointed plus it looks like a pure soccer moms car. Extremely effeminate looking. The 200 LC and the latest one are nice but extremely costly for marginal gains in my book.

Please feel free to comment. I really don't have time to spend test driving every vehicle that I am interested in and before buying the LX I was set on buying an International MXT. Unfortunately I don't think I can handle anything much taller than the LX for body roll reasons. I am constantly pushing my vehicles too aggressively.
Old 07-08-13, 10:55 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on the LX. You can look on www.ih8mud.com they are the forum that does the major mods. But before you go post your experience with the "G" wagons you owned. I've heard they cost a lot to keep them running?
The following users liked this post:
igrip (01-02-23)
Old 07-09-13, 02:12 AM
reckless7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Max707
Congrats on the LX. You can look on www.ih8mud.com they are the forum that does the major mods. But before you go post your experience with the "G" wagons you owned. I've heard they cost a lot to keep them running?
I had older 1984 G Wagons Pre-MBUSA. They weren't for me as I don't work on my cars and missed the modern creature comforts. Personally, I was drawn to them because of their indestructibility but they were too slow for my taste and lacked luxury. Cost wise wasn't too bad as I had one mint and one beater. I liked how rugged they looked and wanted to keep them but never enjoyed driving them. I have the opposite experience with the LX, I love how it drives but hate how it looks. I bought a bull bar for it last week, let's hope it brings some ruggedness to the vehicle. It looks like such a soccer mom car to me.

I went on that forum and found alot of techy articles but not much information. I have nearly given up considering any mods for the vehicle as I am unable to find anything I am interested in buying. Other than new floor mats, new headlights, bull bar, rain visors - I haven't found anything else I could do to this vehicle to pimp it out.

I would be willing to pay $3-4k to install a turbo in the LX if it doesn't kill reliability of the vehicle. I have been looking at racing strut bars as well.
Old 07-09-13, 02:14 AM
reckless7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UZ214
I used to have a 06lx470, traded for a lx570 while the newer ones are much comfy and nicer..the lx470 had a different feel to it- it felt indestructible like a tank.. The newer ones does not... feel the same way. I drove that q56 too. Its one of the weirdest looking SUVs around

I am always looking for a older LX(2nd gen) for another car just to have..i might pick up a 06 if i can find for under 25k
Thanks for letting me know your experience. As much as I am drawn to the newer version I want the indestructible feeling of the old one. I too am also looking for a 2nd one as a backup vehicle. They are really nice just sort of ugly. I like how the QX56 looks but don't believe in its ruggedness.

Last edited by reckless7; 07-09-13 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-09-13, 12:35 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by reckless7
Thanks for letting me know your experience. As much as I am drawn to the newer version I want the indestructible feeling of the old one. I too am also looking for a 2nd one as a backup vehicle. They are really nice just sort of ugly. I like how the QX56 looks but don't believe in its ruggedness.
Personal taste is a funny thing. Most think the Q56 is butt ugly and the 100 series is good looking
Old 10-15-14, 08:10 PM
lxoffroad
Driver School Candidate

I originally wanted to purchase a LC100 , but found a 2000 LX470 with less than 100,000 miles on it, in great condition. I am very pleased with my purchase and love it. Have already put an ARB Sahara Bumper on it, as well as a Gobi stealth roof rack. Must say it is one of the best vehicles that I have ever driven.