LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Test drove 99 LX470 ... Height control "OFF" light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 11:29 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Test drove 99 LX470 ... Height control "OFF" light blinking

I went to test drive a 1999 LX470 this morning.
The truck has only 68k miles, clean carfax, second owner. Looks like it was never abused. Interior and exterior are in great shape, just needs detailing and new tires ASAP. (many cracks on the Michelin tires).

Something that i noticed right away was that on the dashboard i see a blinking "OFF" light next to the Height control. I pressed the height control button, but whatever i tried to do, the light kept blinking. I could not feel the height changing either.
The ride seems to be 'fine', maybe a bit too bouncy, not sure. The light is blinking when driving or sitting at idle - makes no difference.
The current owner tells me that the light "is on because the computer needs to be reset" Sounds like the like has been on for some time.

I know that this is hard to diagnose on a forum...but since i am considering potentially buying this SUV, i need to know worst case scenario - what could be causing this light to be blinking and what $$$ am i looking at if i need to buy parts? I have some mechanical skills and good tools, but IF this is a complex repair that must be done at dealer - what will be the $$ damage - worst case?

The other thing i noticed....was that the car pulls a bit to the right if i try to keep the steering wheel straight. Could be bad alignment or bad tires...or both. Or something else?

Seller is asking almost $16k for the SUV. I am still trying to decide if this is a good deal given the condition, the 1999 year and the 68k miles on the odo. He has no service records.
Overall, i like this LX470 a lot better than the '97 LX450 i test drove last week..... but the price is almost double too....and it is still only 1999 model.

Any feedback is well appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 08-14-12, 12:58 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pulling to the right is a caution flag. have someone else check it out . Just because a carfax is good, doesn't mean someone did work and didn't report it. Many cracks on the tires? Tell them put some new good tires on it,see if it stills pulls to the right, then talk. Proceed with caution.
Old 08-14-12, 04:54 PM
RobRed
Rookie

dan are you going to modify this truck? If you are not or not mechanically inclined I would stay away from this one. On the other hand if you are inclined or intend to modify then it's not a big deal... barring any actual impact damage.

You are more likely to have a problem with LX suspension than the junction box.
Old 08-14-12, 09:03 PM
AK470911
Driver School Candidate

Dan, I think I know this same LX you've described. I tested a green LX, also 68K for $15,800 in San Jose, Ca a few months ago. It would be amazing if it's the same LX. But I passed on it because I refused to pay that much for something with a problem, when there may be something that comes along without that issue for cheap and in as good shape. Gas is going up, people are losing their jobs or have hours cut, or whatever the reason, so someone else will unforunately have to put their nice suv up for sale.

It's no a pleasant thing to benefit from someone else's misfortune, but if you're in the market it will be a boon for you.

Originally Posted by danmm7
I went to test drive a 1999 LX470 this morning.
The truck has only 68k miles, clean carfax, second owner. Looks like it was never abused. Interior and exterior are in great shape, just needs detailing and new tires ASAP. (many cracks on the Michelin tires).

Something that i noticed right away was that on the dashboard i see a blinking "OFF" light next to the Height control. I pressed the height control button, but whatever i tried to do, the light kept blinking. I could not feel the height changing either.
The ride seems to be 'fine', maybe a bit too bouncy, not sure. The light is blinking when driving or sitting at idle - makes no difference.
The current owner tells me that the light "is on because the computer needs to be reset" Sounds like the like has been on for some time.

I know that this is hard to diagnose on a forum...but since i am considering potentially buying this SUV, i need to know worst case scenario - what could be causing this light to be blinking and what $$$ am i looking at if i need to buy parts? I have some mechanical skills and good tools, but IF this is a complex repair that must be done at dealer - what will be the $$ damage - worst case?

The other thing i noticed....was that the car pulls a bit to the right if i try to keep the steering wheel straight. Could be bad alignment or bad tires...or both. Or something else?

Seller is asking almost $16k for the SUV. I am still trying to decide if this is a good deal given the condition, the 1999 year and the 68k miles on the odo. He has no service records.
Overall, i like this LX470 a lot better than the '97 LX450 i test drove last week..... but the price is almost double too....and it is still only 1999 model.

Any feedback is well appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 08-15-12, 09:54 AM
danmm7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK470911
Dan, I think I know this same LX you've described. I tested a green LX, also 68K for $15,800 in San Jose, Ca a few months ago. It would be amazing if it's the same LX. But I passed on it because I refused to pay that much for something with a problem, when there may be something that comes along without that issue for cheap and in as good shape. ...
Yes, it sounds like the same SUV. Green color LX470 with 68k miles. Asian gentleman is selling the car.
I would be shocked if you tested another one with the same exact color and same miles.
The seller made it sound like he is firm on the price because of the low miles. He also made it sound like the blinking AHC light on the dash is no big deal, etc.
Well, in my opinion, the only good thing about this LX470 is the low miles. Warning lights on, pulling to the right, bad tires, higher price ( i know the KBB value is actually very close to what he is asking) .... make it not so attractive. Who knows what else is hidden.

After reading about all these common problems with the AHC system and the cost to repair it (even if i do the work myself), i am starting to question my decision to buy an older, high mileage LX470/GX470. They are great SUVs no doubt, but for my needs and for my budget ... i am starting to question if this is a great fit.

Maybe, the only way to go with an older LX470 is to buy it and just be ready to swap the AHC system for a OEM, non-AHC suspension. I wonder how easy this will be and what other issues it may introduce.
Old 08-15-12, 10:22 AM
AK470911
Driver School Candidate

Don't know about others but my AHC still works on my 98 LX470. I'm prepared when it does go out to replace it with another set because a regular suspension on this car is close but no comparison. I've tested both, in the end I like my stock suspension, feels like riding on a cloud. Wait for the right LX to come along. I searched 2 years before I found THE ONE LX because I won't tolerate imperfection when it's my hard earned money.

In tough economic times **** hits the fan, and you'll find all kids of bargains. Skip this guy and his stories, low mileage don't mean jack if the car was abused on those low miles. You can't "see" flex and stressed parts unless you're an expert or oil leaking into the sparkplugs. If no one picked up this car since I tested it months ago, there's a very good reason

Originally Posted by danmm7
Yes, it sounds like the same SUV. Green color LX470 with 68k miles. Asian gentleman is selling the car.
I would be shocked if you tested another one with the same exact color and same miles.
The seller made it sound like he is firm on the price because of the low miles. He also made it sound like the blinking AHC light on the dash is no big deal, etc.
Well, in my opinion, the only good thing about this LX470 is the low miles. Warning lights on, pulling to the right, bad tires, higher price ( i know the KBB value is actually very close to what he is asking) .... make it not so attractive. Who knows what else is hidden.

After reading about all these common problems with the AHC system and the cost to repair it (even if i do the work myself), i am starting to question my decision to buy an older, high mileage LX470/GX470. They are great SUVs no doubt, but for my needs and for my budget ... i am starting to question if this is a great fit.

Maybe, the only way to go with an older LX470 is to buy it and just be ready to swap the AHC system for a OEM, non-AHC suspension. I wonder how easy this will be and what other issues it may introduce.
Old 08-15-12, 02:31 PM
RobRed
Rookie

This one is probably a better deal http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3203557885.html already had the t-belt done.