LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

XENON HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 11:05 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XENON HID Headlights

Guys,
I'm the process of searching for the BRIGHTEST and the BEST Xenon HID Headlights for my 2006 LX470. I came across the following item from eBay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8000K-H1-Xen...d687#vi-ilComp

What do you think? Is this my best option out there? If not, do you have any other recommendation?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-12, 11:48 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those arent HIDs.

THESE are HIDs.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3959
Old 03-19-12, 07:55 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
1loud,
Are these plug and play? Or i'll need to do a little mod. Also, what do you recommend for the day running lights?

BTW;Thanks for the AHC PM response. I will definately look into it sometime in the near future
Old 03-21-12, 08:04 AM
apdxyk
Driver School Candidate

Aren't those for the reflector type DLR/Hi-Beam? How about light scatter and DLR function?
Obviously, those headlights were not designed for HID.
Refractor type Low-Beam 9005 could be a possibility, even in that case the light source point is different from the original design. Have to be careful with $150 mods on a $70k vehicle sometimes.
Just a word of caution.

You could also research HIR alternatives.

Last edited by apdxyk; 03-21-12 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 12:21 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhm, actually they're for the projector type low beam H1 in the LX(at least my 2000 and 2005 have H1s), which is why I sent a link to the H1 kit. I would advise against putting HIDs in the high beam because the constant on/off is not good for the system, plus HIDs take a few seconds to get to full brightness. Yes you could go through the trouble of baking the headlights and removing the glass/plastic and retrofitting HID projectors into there but if the OP is worried about a little mod, I doubt he would want to go through all that work. With these kits, cut a hole in the back of the dust cover on the low beam, run wires, mount ballast, connect power = done.
Old 03-21-12, 12:34 PM
apdxyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
Uhm, actually they're for the projector type low beam H1 in the LX(at least my 2000 and 2005 have H1s), which is why I sent a link to the H1 kit.
Thank you for the correction: I had it upside-down.
How about the the difference in focusing the light source?
The filament and arch have different light source geometry. Does the refractor/projector limit the scatter satisfactorily?

Last edited by apdxyk; 03-21-12 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 02:46 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You would need to order an h1 HID Kit. In some cases, LX owners need to slightly modify their housings to accommodate an HID bulb.

If you want the brightest, make sure to go with a 4300k kit as higher colour temperatures simply provide you with more colour but less actual useable light output.

Steve

Steve
Old 03-26-12, 02:27 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Well, I don't think I really want to retrofit and/ or modify the existing head light unit assembly. All I am hoping for is simply an upgrade to have better and brighter headlights without necessarily an invasive approach.

That said, i'll probably just stick to the direct headlight bulb replacement but maybe get a brighter product in lieu of the OEM bulbs.

I checked out some Silverstar Sylvania products at Autozone but I think they are garbage.

Anyway, I would like to know if any of you had a direct replacement bulb which is better quality and brighter than the Lexus OEM.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-12, 03:05 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hey,

Take a look at the H1 Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs. They are ALOT better than the Sylvania silverstar bulbs.

Steve
Old 03-26-12, 03:22 PM
Pkathee
Rookie

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hey,

Take a look at the H1 Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs. They are ALOT better than the Sylvania silverstar bulbs.

Steve
Thanks for the quick response. What about DRL and the Fog Lights? I would like to match them all.

Also, are you able to offer discount if I place my order in bulk? By that I mean, If I order the headlights, DRL and the fog lights all together at the same time.......

Let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-12, 07:33 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Pkathee:

Your vehicle uses a 9005 bulb for the high beams and an H3 bulb for the fogs. Margins are super tight on these bulbs. Your best bet would be to join the KBcarstuff.com mailing list so that you receive a 5% coupon code that you can use (whether you order 1 set or 3). Osram Nightbreaker plus bulbs are imported directly from Europe and are manufactured in Germany (as opposed to China or Korea).

Steve
Old 03-27-12, 01:04 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

I went with the xenondepot hid kit when I had my LX470, and the improvement in brightness was substantial. The modification was extremely easy, just 1 drill bit to the back case and it looked pretty clean. 4300K was what I went with. The LX should come with these as factory headlights.

HID would be the "brightest and best". The bulb replacement will be a marginal improvement, but no where near HID.
Old 03-27-12, 01:09 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Thanks for taking the time to post up some feedback =) Glad to hear you were happy with your XenonDepot HID kit =) Once you go HIDs it's certainly hard to go back to anything but HIDs.

Steve
Old 04-05-12, 05:24 AM
srpaddison

Default HID install

Installed my XD 4300K Extreme kit yesterday and am very happy with the significant improvement in the amount and quality of light. The kit arrived 7 days after ordering with the free shipping and CL $25 discount so happy with that. I did need to enlarge both headlight housings to accept the new bulbs though. Taking it slow and careful with jewelers files it took an extra hour or so. Prior to modifying the headlight housings I contacted KB chat to establish if they were aware of any issues re their HID H1 bulbs not being a direct fit in an '03 470. I seem to recall some posters having to enlarge their housing, but most don't. My '03 is a Nov '02 build, maybe there was a run of headlights with slightly tighter H1 apertures and I got one? Whatever, sorted out now. Wiring up with the supplied relay kit I had no joy. Yep, power to the relay, negative grounded etc. Swapped vehicles wiring harness to new kit polarity etc. As I was running short of time I removed the relay assemblies and direct installed the ballasts to the wiring loom and all works nicely. No temperature anomalies identified (touch test) in the oem harness after running the new lamps for an hour. Two questions; is the relay harness really necessary? and, as I don't have a FSM is anyone aware if the vehicle's LB lights use a "floating ground"? I had the relay negatives wired direct to existing chassis grounds, positive direct off the battery + terminal loom. By floating ground I mean a return path isolated from the chassis. I'm a retired naval combat systems engineer, use to build frigates, and just about everything that mattered had to be isolated from the ships' hull (chassis) and all sorts of trickery could go on if the integrity of the power return path was compromised.
Old 04-05-12, 08:17 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post up some feedback. The ballasts in the Xtreme HID kit are true low draw ballasts meaning that you can safely power the ballasts directly from the OEM wiring with no issues. They only draw approx 5A on a cold start compared to other ballasts which can draw 15 - 17A. How do you like the 4300K color temperature? I am personally a fan of this color temperature as it will offer you the brightest possible output. Any chance you took any pictures?

Steve

Quick Reply: XENON HID Headlights