LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Steering Tilt / Telescope does not work, no sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 09:31 AM
boatfinder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Tilt / Telescope does not work, no sound

2001 LX470. OK, I have read a few threads on how to replace or fix the tilt/telescope motor on various Lexus models. I took the steering colum cover apart was going to start to dig in deeper, when I realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I saw one diagram in a forum but it looks to be from a differnet vehicle.

My #1 question though is this : When I try either tilt or telescope switch, nothing happens, no grinding as some have had, no nothing. It doesn't make a sound. So... what does that tell me? Could it be just a bad switch? When I bought the LX470 used it was the same as now, so I have no history of the problem.

I'd be glad to just tilt the whell up a notch or two and leave it at that. I'd rather have it adjustable though so any ideas on either would be helpful.

Any guidance? Thx.

EDIT: Well, strange... I just went out to "fiddle" with the tilt/telescope issue and, much to my surprise, the telescoping function now seems to work fine! Now I'm not even sure it didn't work before, but I am 90%+ sure I tried it many times, both tilt and telescope and neither worked. Maybe some electrical connection is loose, but I don't see one.

Also, I do hear a brief "groan" when I try to tilt down. Very brief, very quiet but now that the column cover is off I do hear it with the engine off. When I try to tilt up I hear nothing. I would say it's stuck either all the way down or most of the way down.

Last edited by boatfinder; 09-10-11 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Addd more info
Old 09-23-11, 06:24 AM
boatfinder
Driver School Candidate

Well, still looking for some info on this one.

My current situation is that he telescope feature now works fine and the auto retract when I turn the vehicle off is functional... although I may read up on how to disable this feature as I prefer to leave it where it is when I turn it off.
Old 09-26-11, 12:57 PM
Lexus49
Driver School Candidate

Boatfinder,

I don't have a solution to your steering. However, I have a similar problem too. When I turn off ignition, my steering wheel retracts with a humming type sound. Sounds like something is dry in there? Don't know.

Hopefully, someone replies with solutions for us.

-Lexus49