LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX 470 Foot Rest Breaking Hazard

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 07:30 PM
motamedd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX 470 Foot Rest Breaking Hazard

My LX470 2003 has a bulky plastic foot rest on the driver side that recently broke off its location and nearly caused an accident when it rolled under my break pedal and interfered with break pedal movement and therefore safe stopping. I called Lexus on multiple occasions and raised the issue as a major safety concern that can result in serious accident and loss of life. All they could tell me was that they could not help me and I had to take the car to the dealership. Since the closest dealership is 80 miles away from me, I explained that I would eventually get the car to the dealership, but I am very disappointed that Lexus is not all over this asking for all the information they can get their hands on to analyze the root cause. On my own initiative I sent them a few high resolution pictures of the broken foot rest where the flimsy plastic clips are sheered off in the middle. I also filed this with the NHTSA (ODI Number: 10373780).

I have removed the broken piece and I have asked Lexus customer service to mail me a replacement for free in the meantime before I find the time to take the car to the dealer. So far ten days has passed and I have not received anything. I have requested that this issue be dealt with as a recall and the foot rest attach points be redesigned so that they don't sheer off under normal use.

I just wanted to get the word out that if you own a LX470 2003 or any other year that has a plastic foot rest attached on top of the floor mat on the left driver side, be aware that the foot rest attach points can easily sheer off and the foot rest can roll under the break pedal. If this happens then you would not be able to stop the car in an emergency situation.
Old 03-25-12, 06:35 PM
EricinSA
Driver School Candidate

Do you have any update to this article? I too have that same issue with my 2003 LX470. The clips that attach the footrest to the vehicle just sheered off.
Old 03-25-12, 08:23 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You probably should both file complaints with the NHTSA. They do investigate, and It might lead to a voluntary recall.
Old 03-25-12, 09:49 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Ours broke on our 01, i just taped it down on the side with some duck tape and since the interior is gray and the all weather mat covers it, you can't see it. I used to wonder if this happened to anyone else, i guess this answered my question
Old 04-04-12, 05:31 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

you cant just glue it back on? just curious? most cars its plastic....

Originally Posted by motamedd
My LX470 2003 has a bulky plastic foot rest on the driver side that recently broke off its location and nearly caused an accident when it rolled under my break pedal and interfered with break pedal movement and therefore safe stopping. I called Lexus on multiple occasions and raised the issue as a major safety concern that can result in serious accident and loss of life. All they could tell me was that they could not help me and I had to take the car to the dealership. Since the closest dealership is 80 miles away from me, I explained that I would eventually get the car to the dealership, but I am very disappointed that Lexus is not all over this asking for all the information they can get their hands on to analyze the root cause. On my own initiative I sent them a few high resolution pictures of the broken foot rest where the flimsy plastic clips are sheered off in the middle. I also filed this with the NHTSA (ODI Number: 10373780).

I have removed the broken piece and I have asked Lexus customer service to mail me a replacement for free in the meantime before I find the time to take the car to the dealer. So far ten days has passed and I have not received anything. I have requested that this issue be dealt with as a recall and the foot rest attach points be redesigned so that they don't sheer off under normal use.

I just wanted to get the word out that if you own a LX470 2003 or any other year that has a plastic foot rest attached on top of the floor mat on the left driver side, be aware that the foot rest attach points can easily sheer off and the foot rest can roll under the break pedal. If this happens then you would not be able to stop the car in an emergency situation.
Old 09-12-17, 08:47 PM
FDengine35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Ours broke on our 01, i just taped it down on the side with some duck tape and since the interior is gray and the all weather mat covers it, you can't see it. I used to wonder if this happened to anyone else, i guess this answered my question
Just had it happen to mine today. The clips sheered off and the piece slipped behind the brake pedal!
Old 09-15-17, 06:02 AM
Luke111
Driver School Candidate

His post was from 2012 and he hasn't posted a follow up.... I personally think this is a non issue... Both my 1996 with 196k and my 2006 LX with136k have the same pedal and I've never had an issue. Toyota would be all over this if this was a common recurring problem.
Old 09-15-17, 07:58 AM
FDengine35
Driver School Candidate

I have no idea why he didn't post a follow up. seems as though the thread in this forum is dead. Fortunately, it is not on other more active forums. I posted it here hoping some of the others would follow as well.

That being said, for those of us that has had it happen while driving, it is not a "null" issue to us. I guess you are one of the many fortunate ones. Lexus region office, Naperville, il, is aware of complaints about this. However, they claim there has not been enough to cause a recall or SB. I am not expecting a recall however, I do not see why Lexus would not want to issue a SB.
Old 09-26-17, 02:25 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My complain I have about the foot rest is that it squeaks as you rest your foot on it, more annoyances I might just take it out after reading it possible falling off and getting stuck under brake pedal.