LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Gas Mileage for LX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 10:25 AM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm talking from personal experience.I also have another F350 and E350 with over 200k both have been in the shop less time then the LX in the first 200k.I'm sure your Landcruiser weighs close to half what an Excursion weighs.It can't haul what an Excursion can people or weight.Bang for the buck is what I look at.The fact that an LX cost 30 to 40 percent more doesn't mean you are getting that much better of a vehicle.It's a decent suv.
Old 02-08-11, 10:47 AM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 2003 Excursion 6.0L weighs about 7700 lbs. My LX comes in about 6200 lbs unloaded. It is not stock though but even stock LX is 5600lbs. Yes, it can't haul the amount of people or weight like the Ford but it is not designed to either.

Anyway:
400k miles on your F350
400k miles on your LX470
200k a piece on your other F350 and E350

That's 1,200,000+ miles and a lot of fuel.
Old 02-08-11, 11:52 AM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

I spend between $2k and $3k a month in fuel and have retired the one F350 with 400k.I also have an Audi allroad with 200k in 5 years.
Old 02-08-11, 02:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Theres a reason the lx cost more, is used world wide, and retains its value better. it is a better car....for what it is. If i wanted to tow, i'd get the f350, if i wanted just a better all round car, i would get the lx. As to your audi allroad, that car is often regarded by audi fans as the most unreliable audi ever built. From the air suspension to the 2.7 v6, that car (in general) had a long laundry list of problems, not to say yours tevi is the same, i guess you got a good one. And even if he took a picture of a 01lx, hell even a 98 lx, the interior wold still look more upscale and classier and better built then the ford interior. Lets be honest, ford interiors, up until recent, have been less then sub par
Old 02-08-11, 03:09 PM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

An 01 allroad has a boat load more amenities then an 01 lx and the interior is far superior.My allroad has only been in the shop twice for mechanical failure and the rest has been for maintenance.Those mechanical failure has only cost me $700.One big problem with allroads is the air suspension and its just as bad as the LX hydraulic system to repair.The air system is superior in how it works.My 2001 F350 has more amenities then the LX.Simple things like a computer read out to tell you how far to empty/mpg etc.I just did a comparison of my F350 w/400 against the LX/400k and the LX depreciated more.As I stated before the LX leather is superior.Things like the way door panels attach.The fact that you have to have a key on for all your 12volt ports to work.No steering wheel controls.A "high end"stereo that fails miserably.I don't care what brand car it is you will find gems and lemons.The F350 is used worldwide also
Old 02-12-11, 10:57 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Huh?

Originally Posted by Tevi
My 2001 F350 has more amenities then the LX.Simple things like a computer read out to tell you how far to empty/mpg etc.I just did a comparison of my F350 w/400 against the LX/400k and the LX depreciated more.I don't care what brand car it is you will find gems and lemons.The F350 is used worldwide also
I gotta agree with others that the F350 comparison to any Toyota/Lexus full frame SUV is a peculiar one. Coincidentally, my last Ford was a 2001 F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel. The tranny toasted at 36,300 miles (yes, 300 out of warranty). That was the nail in the coffin after Ford refused to stand behind a spark plug thread blow-out on the aft passenger side on my 97 Expedition. I left my 23 vehicle Ford truck lineage behind, crossed over to the dark side and got a Cummins-powered Dodge with 70K warranty. That was the right move for me, but obviously the Mopar/Chevy/Ford debate will go on forever. At one point, I would have said a Ford chassis/body with a GM interior and transmission (Allison), and the Dodge (Cummins) engine would make the ultimate heavy duty pick up. Any one of the three could be in my garage right now to fulfill the heavy hauling, RV-toting role I require a 1 ton truck for. If Toyota/Lexus made a similar product, that's probably what I would select. But I also have a Lexus SUV parked next to the HD pickup (mine happens to be a 2005 GX 470) for an entirely different mission. The perhaps more comparable Fords, say a Expedition/Navigator or Explorer/Aviator, are simply not on the same quality level as a GX or LX 470. Clearly the Ford products cost less. I'd say the reasons are self evident and don't require much explanation to anybody who has experienced both. If there were a Lexus XX 3500 dually twin-turbo diesel pickup, it's a safe bet it would cost more than the F-350. It would also be vastly superior. I am not disparaging Fords per se; I very well may drive one again. I'm just saying that you need to compare apples to apples.
Old 02-13-11, 04:54 AM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tevi,

Why are you on a Lexus forum? Do you own a Lexus? If you do....then why because isn't Ford and Audi a better vehicle?

I will never own an American made vehicle as long as the Japanese continue to make Lexus LX's and Landcruisers. There is absolultely no comparison in work ethic and it definitely shows in the repair bills after many many miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bullelk:
srpuywa (12-29-19), Vlad6525 (10-18-22)
Old 02-13-11, 05:14 AM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bullelk
Tevi,

Why are you on a Lexus forum? Do you own a Lexus? If you do....then why because isn't Ford and Audi a better vehicle?

I will never own an American made vehicle as long as the Japanese continue to make Lexus LX's and Landcruisers. There is absolultely no comparison in work ethic and it definitely shows in the repair bills after many many miles.
Funny how you people don't really read what I'm writing.I said for the fact that it cost $30k more you are not getting a $30K better vehicle.Bullelk obviously you haven't read anything either.I have a LX and a F350 with over 400k.Come talk to me when you do.
Old 02-13-11, 12:52 PM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

IF, big IF, you have had any consistent and significant problems with a LX 470 your vehicle must have been made the Friday before a Saturday Christmas and is 1 in 1 million. Everyone who knows anything about vehicles knows that a Lexus LX 470 and a Toyota Landcruiser are extremely durable and reliable vehicles. There is not one, not one American made vehicle that compares to the reliability of Lexus or Toyota and never will be. And that is not old news.

BTW, What do you do to be able to put 400k+ miles on several vehicles at the same time?
Old 02-13-11, 02:13 PM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

IF, big IF, you have had any consistent and significant problems with a LX 470 your vehicle must have been made the Friday before a Saturday Christmas and is 1 in 1 million. Everyone who knows anything about vehicles knows that a Lexus LX 470 and a Toyota Landcruiser are extremely durable and reliable vehicles. There is not one, not one American made vehicle that compares to the reliability of Lexus or Toyota and never will be. And that is not old news.

BTW, What do you do to be able to put 400k+ miles on several vehicles at the same time?
I travel for my job.Also here is the latest list I can come up with about reliability by brand and Lexus sure didn't spank Ford as you claim.
Consumer Reports' recently announced its 2011 reliability ranking of car brands. By predicted short-term reliability, CR's top 10 brands for model year 2011 are, in descending order:

Scion
Porsche
Acura
Honda
Infiniti
Toyota
Subaru
Volvo
Lexus
Ford.
Old 02-13-11, 04:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Tevi, whilei don't agree with you, i see what you are saying. The lx470 can't justify the 30k price over your f350. But just because a car lacks certain features, doesn't mean it doesn't justify a price difference. An extreme example would be the Bentley Brooklands. With the cost of $350k dollars, it is more then three times as expensive as a similarly or better equipped mercedes cl or bmw 6 series. Both the mercedes and bmw have more features and are more advanced then the bently, yet are 1/3 the price, but would you say the bently is a lesser car because of the price? It simply makes up for the price gap in pure quality and better build then the mercedes or bmw. The lx is the same case. Again this is the most extreme example, and maybe not everyone sees a reason for paying 3 times the price, but there is a justification.
Old 02-13-11, 04:58 PM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

Tevi,
2011?
Try a year with some days under its belt. Time for complaints and problems to show up.
Forget the predicted. Find some real world evidence. Consumer's Report has always said Lexus, Toyota and Honda way up on the list and GMC, Land Rover, Dodge way down the list. Ford is somewhere in between but It AIN'T a Lexus.

BTW, Tell us the details of all the times your LX 470 has been in the shop.
Old 02-13-11, 05:40 PM
Tevi
Driver School Candidate

Tevi,

BTW, Tell us the details of all the times your LX 470 has been in the shop.
To prove what.I don't need to prove myself to you.As I said when you have the mileage I do then talk.It is not only quality it is poor design too.What you aren't reading IS FOR THE PRICE.I have never had a passenger nearly get frost bite in my 99 F350 because of the frigid air coming from underneath the dash.The poorly placed interior lights.I can go on.But you have blinders on.Get to 400k then talk.
Old 02-13-11, 07:18 PM
Bullelk
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you need to sell your Lexus. Why waist money on a foreign made car.
Old 02-14-11, 01:45 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own an Audi now, and had owned an Audi A8 sedan, Audi RS2 wagon in the past. Nice vehicles, but the interior quality and materials (especially longevity) are no match to the ones used on the LX470. At least as far as I am concerned. I kept them for reasons other than the interior, which is on the nicer side for the German vehicles. Comparing a one of the better off-roaders in existence with a nice family station wagon and light-duty vehicle such as Allroad is not valid. Dispute that I actually like the Allroards.

Comparing with the Fords, that I don't get at all. I don't think many people will cross-shop, if ever. I won't.

Having logged over 300k miles on the two LX470s I owned, have not had a repair yet. Only maintenance. Can't say the same about the Audi's I owned or own. Even right at the moment there is a service campaign on my audi requiring me to leave it in the shop for at least one week.

I typically see 13.5 MPG on the LX470.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage for LX470