LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Nakamichi CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 12:03 PM
ling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nakamichi CD changer

My '99 LX470 CD changer started to give me the error 3 message this weekend. I took it into the dealer Monday and found out that it's going to cost me $750 to get it exchanged with Nakamichi since it's out of warranty.

From what I read in this forum, this seemed to be a common problem with this unit. I hate to spend $750 and a few months later have it broken down again.

Is there any other model of CD/receiver or dvd I can put in place of the Nakamichi?
Old 08-15-02, 07:13 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nakamichi Changer Blues

I got mine fixed at www.radiomanrepair.com for $400. I wanted to keep the look together and after building a kit to fit an after-market radio in, it would have been much more than $400. Plus they give a 1 year warranty. Mine is perfect now.

Now I am shopping around to replace the stock sub-woofer.

Michael
Old 08-15-02, 08:11 AM
ling
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll contact them. You're right, I asked the local stereo shop, to fit an aftermarket stereo, it'll cost me $350 just to install!

Actually, I found a way to "manually eject" the CDs by placing a thin plastic knife above the disc and gently pulling it out. I found that it it'll reset the changer and the CDs will start playing again.

Oh, yeah. Once in a while you'd have to unplug the battery and plug it back in!

It sucks, but it works.

I believe it's the eject & load mechanism that's failing to work properly on mine. I can hear the motor struggling to load the disc. And it'll display the ERR3 message when I press eject. Again, once it's loaded, it plays just fine. (Gets to be quite a hassle when I want to change CDs though)
Old 08-30-02, 05:33 PM
Cleeve
Driver School Candidate

Default CD Changer Problem

Hi Ling,
I wanted to let you and everyone know that my company La Jolla Audio Repair in San Diego,Ca. does repairs for all the Lexus dealers here in San Diego,Ca. We have been servicing car stereo's for 17 years now and that with my technicians and I we have over 60 years combined experience.The demand for Lexus service has grown in the past years out of demand for other than dealer options. We have geared our service center to handle repairs in-house rather than shipping out defective units. This is not always possible but we keep factory repairs to a minimum here. We stock parts for the Lexus Radio's, Changers and Amplifiers covering Pioneer or Nakamichi brands. Exchange units are also available and come with a (one) year warranty. We service nation wide. If you need any further help in resolving you changer problem I will be glad to help you. You may contact me at my Web site: www.lajollaaudiorepair.com

Cleeve Morrison
La Jolla Audio Repair
Old 08-30-02, 06:21 PM
ling
Driver School Candidate

Cleeve,

Can you tell me how much it would cost to repair my CD changer and what kind of warranty will it have.

I have heard that this is a typical problem with in-dash CD changers, is that true?

If I wanted to replace that unit with a DVD player & screen, is it possible? And how much would it be? (What models)

Thank you for your reply!

Ling