LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

99 LX470 Turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 08:58 PM
HmBuilder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 LX470 Turns over but won't start

Turns over strong but won't start. Please advise with potential issues.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-10, 09:15 AM
krye
Rookie

Sounds like a fuel or spark issue. How many miles on the vehicle? Any maintenance history on repairs? Can you confirm that either are working correctly? Before it wouldn't start, did it run rough on acceration suggesting the fuel filter is plugged? Also, there may be some fuses to check for ignition. Lastly you may be able to check error codes if you can purchase or borrow a scan device.
Old 08-31-10, 08:45 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

x2. If the starter turns over strong but it won't start, fuel isn't getting to the cylinders or it's not igniting. I find it hard that none of the 8 cylinders would ignite. Maybe some issue w/ the fuel pump or could be a dirty mass air sensor (do you run a K&N type filter?).
Old 10-08-10, 05:22 PM
krye
Rookie

could have a security issue with the key. I have read that the fuel injectors will not work with a security lock out
Old 08-11-14, 05:42 AM
GaryRama
Driver School Candidate

I'm having starting issues lately as well. 2003 LX470 92000 miles. The battery is fully charged and when I turn the key it cranks and cranks strong until it times out maybe 5 seconds or so. I turn the key agin and it fires right up. Acceleration is strong and smooth across the board.

I've changed the fuel filter and was about to inspect the condition of the pre filter around the fuel pump.

Any thoughts? Oh, by the way I live in Panama, as in Republica de Panama... So fuel quality might be suspect.
Gracias..
Old 10-10-15, 01:19 PM
najam
Driver School Candidate

Efi fuse located in engine compartment
Old 09-07-17, 03:12 PM
andrewko
Driver School Candidate

Hi Jim. Thanks for your many detailed responses. I have a similar problem to this thread and the one on 2001 LX that cranks but won't start.

I have a 2002 LX with 193K. About 10 days ago, I parked the car to get some takeout breakfast. When I returned, the car won't start. It cranked strong but wont catch. had it towed to my mechanic. They found no fuel was coming out from the hose at the fuel filter when the car is turned on. Replaced fuel pump and filter. Car drove fine the next week. On Friday afternoon we drove up to the local SoCal mountains for Labor Day weekend. Drove 2 hours there, drove back down Sunday afternoon. Stopped at Costco and when I got back in the car, same thing happened. Cranks strongly but won't start.

On Tues had it towed to my mechanic again. He removed the ECU/EFI module or relay next to fuse #11 in the big box in the engine compartment. His probe made different tones on 3 of the male connectors and one had no tone. He "jumped" it and asked me to start the car. Car started. The next day they did more diagnosis and when they applied power to the relay, he heard a click on the passenger side. He removed the kickpanel and found some wires and relays. He said it was a power relay. Took it out, shook it a bit and put it back in. Car started.

So now what? Nothing in the owners manual shows relays on the passenger side; only drivers side kick panel has a fuse box. Should I replace the ECU/EFI in the engine compartment and the relay in the passenger side kick panel? I feel like I am waiting for it to happen again. Thanks.
Old 09-08-17, 04:14 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by krye
could have a security issue with the key. I have read that the fuel injectors will not work with a security lock out
I've seen this when they key goes bad or someone looses the "guts' to the key.
If you have more than one key, try to use the other just to see what happens.
Old 09-09-17, 04:55 PM
andrewko
Driver School Candidate

Hi KiPod. When we had the car towed home on Labor Day Sunday, I found a post that suggested the same. I tried another key and also a key that did not have the "guts" anymore. Nothing worked. This morning, my wife couldn't start the car. But our daughter was able to start it about an hour later. I took it to the mechanic again. This time, he pulled out the power relay (90987-04002) behind the passenger kick panel that he thought was bad. But even with the relay out, I could start the car. So that's not it. He thought maybe it is the key switch and maybe the contacts are dirty or not connecting when my wife tried to start the car. This is the first time in my entire life that I had a car not start (besides a dead battery) and don't know the cause. We love the LX470 and hope to keep it for a while longer but if it might not start at any time, has us a bit concerned. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 09-12-17, 06:45 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to program a master key twice and a valet once.
One program is for the remote buttons to function and the other is for the immobilizer.
If the remote (guts) are missing out of a master key, it will not start.
If the remote portion has lost it's program it will not start.
Those are the reasons it would not start if a key was going bad.
It still could be something else, but those are simple things to check.
Old 11-25-19, 08:09 AM
Combustion
Driver School Candidate

Default I fix the no start issue.

I had the problem where the car would not start one day and drive for weeks with no issues. Very annoying. But i found the problem. i explain it in the video. if you try everything else and got nowhere you may have the problem im speaking about in the video.