LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

The TRD supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02, 03:51 PM
LexFather

Default The TRD supercharger!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=51475

Steve Ganz does it again!!!
Old 07-09-02, 10:41 PM
treynor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool I've ordered the TRD S/C from Steve, and will post a full report when it's received and installed.

Now I've just got to get out to the ole dragstrip and get some baseline numbers on my LX470 so I have something to compare to. I wonder if I can run both my racecar and my tow vehicle on the same evening?
Old 07-09-02, 11:16 PM
LexFather

Dude, awesome! Glad someone is getting it! To tow the Viper to the track?
Old 07-12-02, 08:39 AM
treynor
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I need it to pull the Viper. That's the ticket

Actually, I want to be able to tow the Viper to the dragstrip, then race *both* cars. 0-60 should drop from 9.9 to mid-7s, and 1/4 mile should drop nearly 2 full seconds.

Here's the info on the S/C, straight from Steve:
------
NEW FEATURES SUPERCHARGER DETAILS

. TRD V8 Supercharger features new exclusive system enhancements dedicated to improving efficiency and performance
such as an internal bypass system to ensure proper idle and a dynamic belt tensioner designed to self-adjust to the optimal
belt tension.

. Includes a supplemental injector that creates an "intercooling effect," permitting higher boost levels for increased efficiency
and enhanced power and torque.

. Provides fuel map and spark timing tables fine-tuned by TRD engineers to offer peak engine performance.

. Features Multiple Spark Discharge that aids combustion efficiency at all RPMs.

TRD EXCLUSIVE ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
PERFORMANCE STATISTICS

. Up to a 50% increase in horsepower (maximum gain is 235 HP vs. 353 HP at 5200 RPM)

. Up to a 50% increase in torque (maximum gain 239 lb.-ft. vs. 359 lb.-ft. at 5200 RPM)

. Torque increases 32% at 2800 RPM

. Boost pressure: up to 7 psi

INSTALLATION DETAILS

. Estimated Installation Time: 6-8 hours
. Detailed installation instructions included in every kit.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

. Boasting up to a 50% increase in horsepower and 50% increase in torque over stock, the TRD 4.7L V8 Supercharger demonstrates the most advanced engineered bolt-on unit developed by TRD.

. TRD pairs a powerful Eaton M90 assembly with an exclusive fine-tuned TRD Engine Management System for optimal power and efficiency over the complete RPM range.

. Constructed of modular cast aluminum, the supercharger offers great durability and features OEM quality parts and a professional powder coated finish.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

. When installed by a Toyota dealer, the TRD V8 Supercharger warranty works seamlessly with your Toyota new vehicle
warranty. If installed by a Toyota dealer on a vehicle with any of its new vehicle power train warranty remaining, you will
receive either 12 months, unlimited mileage from the date of installation or the remainder of the new vehicle power train
warranty, whichever is longer. Units installed by do-it-yourselfers have a 12-month, unlimited mileage warranty.
Old 07-13-02, 12:16 AM
LexFather

That is what it needs FACTORY, lol! Wow sounds like it'll will be a beast. Are u gonna add bigger wheels (naturally). Any cosmetic mods?
Old 07-14-02, 01:46 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has TRD made any mileage limit recommendations for the S/C? I mean, if someone goes out and purchases a 1999 LX470 with 85k miles on, do they recommend this or to just vehicles under 10k miles?
Old 07-14-02, 01:57 PM
treynor
Driver School Candidate

> Are u gonna add bigger wheels (naturally). Any cosmetic mods?

Nope, stealth is the watchword for the LX. I don't want to lose the freeway ride or the drive-over-anything ability, I just want it to go faster Besides, I already have some 'bling bling' vehicles for when I want to draw a crowd...

> Has TRD made any mileage limit recommendations for the S/C?

None that I'm aware of, and I don't see any for their V6 S/C either. Even at 350 HP, it's not as though a Toyota 4.7L V8 is exactly overstressed....
Old 07-27-02, 05:33 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

What kind of price range is to be expected? Does the gearing need to be changed to compensate for the new torque curve?
Old 07-28-02, 03:48 PM
treynor
Driver School Candidate

The list price is ~$4600, but of course you can get it at a discount through Steve Ganz. There's no gearing change involved.
Old 07-28-02, 05:28 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. Little confused on the specifications of the power increase. TRD is saying approx 50% increase in HP and Torque @ only 7 PSI? That is incredibly huge from a bolt on product. Did the kit come with new intake or exhaust manifolds? I know the 03 is susposed to have an upgradded intake manifold, I wonder if this charger is going to be able to work on an 03 LX.