LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 09:27 PM
caci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction

Hi. Chris here, in the DFW (TX) area. I just registered this evening and want to thank the Forum for all of the valuable information that I have gleened over the past 10 days.

I recently lost my '97 LX450 to a slow roll-over. It was my 2nd 80 Series ('91 LC).

This past weekend I bought an '01 LX470 from Sewell Lexus, Ft. Worth. My decision to go with the 100 was based on the availability of clean 80 series vehicles and the "upgrade" to the V8.

Even though I have given up ruggedness for the wishbone front suspension, I am absolutely blown away by the ride quality, as well as the handling and drivability of the 470 vs. 450.

My 470 is Black (not a real good Texas color) and has 95,000 miles on the clock. It is a 1-owner vehicle with ML Stereo. The interior is super clean with only light scratches on numerous "hard" parts - console, radio, cup-holder cover, etc. I can not find a flaw on the seats - unbelieveable for a 7-8yr old vehicle - speaks volumes for the quality of the leather.

The best part is that I had a really good experience with Lexus Dealers (previous 80's bought from individuals).

I had seen the 470 on Auto Trader and when I called Sewell Lexus, DALLAS to inquire, I was informed that it had been sold. I was in South FW and stopped to visit Sewell FW to see what they had. When I said that I was looking for an '00 or '01, I was shown the Black '01 - it had been transferred from Dallas to FW.

After a very warm and fuzzy feeling with the Sales Rep and his Manager, I decided that I would cut through all the anguish of shopping around and haggling with numerous Dealers and Individuals.

The LX470 had only a few problems - worn out tires, a cracked tail light lens, and a little damage to the left front render lip.

I split the cost (Dealer's) on a new set of LTX's from Discount Tire and Sewell included a New set of rubber mats , as the carpet mats were missing.

When I got home with it, this Saturday, I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that Sewell had changed the oil, with 5-30 Synthetic, New engine air filter and all fluids checked and topped-off.

I know that many of you who have purchased New and Used vehicles from the Dealer, may be used to this level of service - but this is my "first time".

Unfortunately, I also found out Sat. that the ML Sub is blown and that there is a rattle in the Driver's door. There is a noticeable pop when the window is operated and when the door is closed with the window cracked - it was almost 100 deg. today.

I have ordered a JL replacement for the sub and will take a look under the door panel for the source of the noise.

Sorry for the lengthy first post!

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-21-09, 11:37 AM
LagunaDFW
Driver School Candidate

Hey Chris--- Glad to see you're still typing after that roll-over...yikes. I'm picking up a '97 LX450 on Tuesday as an extra vehicle --- I've always wanted one and decided to pull the trigger on a really clean example that I found. Do you have a service contact at one of the Dallas-area dealers that you would recommend? I'd likely take a car this old to an independent shop rather than a dealer (if this tank will ever need service!), but it'd be good to have a contact just in case. I'm in Dallas over by White Rock Lake (Lakewood), but I'm happy to travel within the Metroplex for the best dealer service. Thanks in advance and enjoy your new car!
Old 06-22-09, 11:01 PM
caci
Driver School Candidate

There is a very highly regarded independant in Ft. Worth - Lexutech. Kevin Ulrich is the Manager. Phone # is 817-877-4357.
A very good friend of mine has had his '95 LC serviced there for the past 10 years. Ditto for my neighbor's '99 Avalon.

My "Master Plan" was to drive the '97 LX forever...
Old 06-23-09, 09:54 AM
LagunaDFW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I'm excited to pick up the LX this evening!