LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Extreme Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 05:05 PM
dr.cjd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Corrosion

I have a 2005 470 LX with less than 25,000 miles on it. I just had to spend $715 on it just to get it to pass PA state inspection because of extreme corrosion of the break system. The mechanic says the under parts of this vehicle are in worse condition than he has ever seen in a four year old vehicle and that its going to cost a major fortune to replace the entire breaking system as well as the suspension, etc. I paid a lot of money on that vehicle and certainly expected to get more than 4 years and 25 thousand miles out of it! Is anyone else experiencing corrosion issues? I have never had the vehicle off road, or in high water, but I do live in PA (salt on the roads in winter). Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-08, 01:33 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you owned it since new? This sounds very unusual.
Old 12-08-08, 09:08 AM
thlexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem!!!

I have the exact same problem with my 2004 LX470. My mechanic went as far as to call it a "rust bucket." The vehicle only has a little over 30,000 miles and 20,000 of that was in Chicago. I intend on addressing the extensive corrosion with my local dealer when I take the vehicle in for the 30,000 mile service. I know that the vehicle has a 72-month/unlimited mileage corrosion warranty. There is no exception in the warranty for driving in areas where the roads are covered with salt.

Has anybody else made a claim for repairs, etc. under the corrosion warranty?
Old 12-08-08, 01:00 PM
dr.cjd
Driver School Candidate

I bought the vehicle brand new- I have put every one of the 24,000+ miles on it, driving on paved roads. It has NEVER been off road or driven through or exposed to high water!
Old 12-09-08, 03:57 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would contact Lexus right away. Get the ball rolling at least. That sounds really extreme, they should back you up on that. If not, shame on them.
Old 12-10-08, 03:36 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Impossible. Did you see this rust? Please post some pics if you have them. I had a 99 TLC in michigan and it never had a rust problem. My 04 is well undercoated. Brakes? what is rusted with them?
Old 12-10-08, 06:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I picked up my GS back in Oct, the salesman I was dealing with told me that rust proofing (or undercoating) is only necessary if you live in an area with lots of snow (and hence the liberal use of salt). Since it doesn't snow alot where I live, he didn't recommend it.

If you didn't get under coating from your dealer or aftermarket supplier of undercoating, then it is potentially possible that you could develop rust problems. And I agree with kyoso23, I would take this directly to Lexus and get them to resolve your rust issues pronto. The longer you wait, the worse it will be.
Old 12-11-08, 01:48 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dr.cjd
Any thoughts?
I have seen a number of LX 100 series models and the some them have some extreme corrosion undernearth.

Keep in mind.
1. The LX470 design was first introduced in 1998. That likely means it was designed and developed in the early to mid 1990's which means it is a very old design. Rust protection on the LX470 dates back to whatever was available in the 1990s

2. I have noticed that Land Cruiser/LX models are the last to get certain features and technology.
i) last of the 4.7 models vehicles to get VVTi.
ii) one of the last Toyota models on the market with non dual HVAC.
iii) used a Torsion bar front set up up until 2007 model year.
iv) maintenance intervals are very high.

3. The LX470 uses a very old rear end. I have hear that the spindles date back to the 1960's.

While a very good SUV. There is no doubt that the LX really is 1990's tech so you will likely get 1990's rust proofing tech. Even though you bought it in 2004.
Old 12-12-08, 04:42 AM
dr.cjd
Driver School Candidate

The brake shoes were rusted to the rotors, the rotors were rusted beyond regrinding and my mechanic says the entire breaking system needs replaced if i continue to own this vehicle. When working on the brakes the tires required a sledge hammer to get them free of the vehicle (corroded)and the suspension springs are rusted, etc. I have already had something replaced under there that was a part of the AC, as well as the sensor for the height adjuster- both corrosion related issues according to Lexus. FYI: the actual metal panels of the vehicle are fine. The rust/corrosion is entirely confined to the underneath of the vehicle.
Old 12-15-08, 05:54 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dr.cjd
The brake shoes were rusted to the rotors, the rotors were rusted beyond regrinding and my mechanic says the entire breaking system needs replaced if i continue to own this vehicle. When working on the brakes the tires required a sledge hammer to get them free of the vehicle (corroded)and the suspension springs are rusted, etc. I have already had something replaced under there that was a part of the AC, as well as the sensor for the height adjuster- both corrosion related issues according to Lexus. FYI: the actual metal panels of the vehicle are fine. The rust/corrosion is entirely confined to the underneath of the vehicle.

Now I am wondering if you ever serviced your brakes
Old 12-16-08, 08:36 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My rear drums were seized on my 1999 TLC. Just went without the hand brake. They explained to me that since I didnt use the handbrake, it seized.
Ever since, I have always applied the handbrake when I park.
Old 12-17-08, 01:53 PM
dr.cjd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Now I am wondering if you ever serviced your brakes
LX 470 was serviced as specified- Actually when they (Lexus Dealer) "fixed" the AC issue this past summer they never said a word about all of the obvious major corrosion up under there. Oh yea, they fixed the height adjustment issue the year previous and said it was a corrosion issue. My immediate plan is to ditch this vehicle ASAP and replace it with something that might actually last for more than 25,000 miles. I doubt it will be a Lexus.
Old 12-29-08, 12:50 PM
thlexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus refuses to cover corrosion.

Lexus has now refused to cover several parts that have broken as a result of corrosion/rust. Lexus claims that any corrosion or rust as a result of road salt is excluded under the corrosion warranty.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with Lexus? This would mean in effect that there is no corrosion coverge for any Lexus driven in the Northeast or Midwest where salt is used on roads.

As a second point, they also want $950 for the 30,000 mile service. Does this appear to be in line with what others are paying?

Thanks
Old 12-29-08, 03:08 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thlexus
Lexus has now refused to cover several parts that have broken as a result of corrosion/rust. Lexus claims that any corrosion or rust as a result of road salt is excluded under the corrosion warranty.
The corrision warranty is for rust through the panels of the body. The rust pretty much has to make a hole in the body. Which is very rare these days during the first 5 years of ownership.

As a second point, they also want $950 for the 30,000 mile service. Does this appear to be in line with what others are paying?
I hate to tell you this. But the 100 series Toyota Land Cruiser and LX470 are very old designs. The frame and and mechanicals (axles, 4wd) date back to the early 1990's. I believe the rear end is even older.

With old techonology you are going to have much shorter service intervals, more fluids needing changing etc.
Old 12-30-08, 10:25 AM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damnit, my LX470 is ancient. I'd better go out and lube it now.

Quick Reply: Extreme Corrosion