LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Recharging Suspension Accumulators?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 09:50 PM
desmo888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recharging Suspension Accumulators?

I recently was successful in recharging the two front suspension accumulators in a 1998 LX470 for a friend.
I wanted to see if there would be an interest in this service. I could recharge the units for about $99 each and they would then be set up for future recharging on the vehicle in the future.
I have recharged many Audi brake accumulators so I have experience. I simply replace the nitrogen charge in the unit - no rebuilding or refurbishing of the valves (although I do flush them).
This is not an advertisement, just a feeler if I should put more effort into researching this further. I am also looking for some removed "dead" units to have available once they are recharged.
Thanks,
Dave
Audi guy that appreciates Toyota's...
Old 11-08-08, 05:50 AM
Texasoil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recharging suspension accumulators

B and B Suspension also experimented with recharging OEM accumulators for a short while. There was a very high early failure rate. About 20% were blown out and non-usable on receipt. Another 20% failed very shortly (before shipment back to customer). Of the ones holding pressure , half failed within one month. These kind of diaphragm failure rates are clearly unacceptable.

B and B Suspension now offers brand new custom manufactured accumulators for the LX-470/LC-100 at about 50% of Dealer prices. Please go to 'activesuspensionsystems.com' for more information
I would NEVER recharge a brake system accumulator. The probability of sudden diaphragm failure is way too high for a life critical component.
Old 11-10-08, 05:18 PM
desmo888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texasoil
I would NEVER recharge a brake system accumulator. The probability of sudden diaphragm failure is way too high for a life critical component.
I suppose if you did not understand the Audi brake/hydraulic system you would say that. As it is there are many, many recharged Audi brake accumulators out there and they are working fine. Failure does not cause the loss of brakes either.

Thanks for the reply. I did look at the B and B set up and it looks like a good one.