LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

CV Boot Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 10:32 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, i think that is ridiculously expensive. I'd never re-boot. A complete new axle with new boots on BOTH inner and outer, with NEW CV components is less that $100 each from most any parts store. It is not a complicated job and most mechanics should be able to easily do this job. Both axles should take 2-3 hours (like 1- 1.5 hours per side).

re-booting an old axle never makes sense to me because while grease was leaking out, the bearings, cage etc..., are getting contaminated with water, dirt, etc..., which starts to pit and wear the CV joint. AND... a complete new axle is so much cheaper.

my guess is dealer would try to sell the fear-factor of: "But those are cheap, inferior, off-shore components in the replacement axle. you get what you pay for". My response; BS!! As if every car manufacturer doesn't already try to out-source cheapest parts they can to assemble new cars.... I've used many after-market axles and haven't had any major issues.
Old 07-12-15, 08:28 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

While you can certainly argue the point about dirt and debris getting inside the boot, there is no way you can argue that a $50 ebay CV axle is anywhere near the build and material quality of an OEM axle. Those cheap Chinese knock offs might get you to the grocery store and back, but if you ever want to take your LX into the back country and test it a bit, there's no way you'd want to run anything but OEM. I've seen plenty of Autozone/Ebay/Checker axles blow up with the slightest additional wheelspin and torque on the axle. I'd much rather reboot an OEM axle than run a knock off.
Old 07-13-15, 07:56 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by xpeng
A Lexus dealer in NJ quote me $624*2=1248+tax to rebuild front axle boots. Is this a reasonable price? Thanks.
My car is 2005 GX470.
At that price, I believe you definitely will get serviced.

Originally Posted by Jacket
While you can certainly argue the point about dirt and debris getting inside the boot, there is no way you can argue that a $50 ebay CV axle is anywhere near the build and material quality of an OEM axle. Those cheap Chinese knock offs might get you to the grocery store and back, but if you ever want to take your LX into the back country and test it a bit, there's no way you'd want to run anything but OEM. I've seen plenty of Autozone/Ebay/Checker axles blow up with the slightest additional wheelspin and torque on the axle. I'd much rather reboot an OEM axle than run a knock off.
^Thread.

When I've driven 6-8 hours on BLM fire roads to get to a trail head, the last thought on my mind is how much money I've saved on cheap Chinese truck parts.

Do your homework. Find a good indy Toyota or Lexus shop to do the work. PM cdan or beno on mud for good deals on parts pricing. Replacing a CV axle is not especially difficult, any special tools needed can be "rented" for no cost at most auto parts stores.

hth

Steve
Old 07-21-15, 07:34 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Today a Lexus dealer in CA quoted me $863 to have both front boots done.
Old 07-22-15, 07:06 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

both boots on one axle, or 4 boots for 2 axles?

Speaking of back roading, we replaced the stock Japanese made OEM axles on our Yamaha Rhino UTV, the ones that are famous for breaking and leaving us stranded in back country, with after market SuperATV brand axles. Thicker, stronger, better, cheaper. No problems. I seem to recall around $100 each (probably cheaper than that). Gorilla was another option but a lot more money for the name.

I know that's ATV/UTV and not a car. Point is: I think there are still some good after market brands for less. You can probably ask around at local auto parts stores, check forums, ask what is a good after market axle. My guess is every auto manufacturer is getting parts built as cheap as possible but to their standards (so they say). So you may be buying the same thing.

my friend owned the only local CV axle rebuilding business in an area servicing 2-3 million potential customers. He shut it down because the cheap parts store axles were less than he could rebuild them for.
Old 07-22-15, 10:25 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
Today a Lexus dealer in CA quoted me $863 to have both front boots done.
Not sure if I can recommend a particular shop here...so, PM me for a great shop specialzing in 'Yota products in San Carlos.

hth

Steve
Old 07-22-15, 07:09 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both boots on one axle.
Old 10-09-15, 08:54 AM
Boater46
Driver School Candidate

Default Greasy CV Joint boot

On my 2004 GX470, I noticed the boot on the CV joint is all oily.
I see no tears on the boot and wondered if the greasy substance could be engine
oil from the valve cover.
Any advise out there?
Old 10-22-15, 03:50 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boater46
On my 2004 GX470, I noticed the boot on the CV joint is all oily.
I see no tears on the boot and wondered if the greasy substance could be engine
oil from the valve cover.
Any advise out there?
I don't have your vehicle. I have an old 99 RX300. One of my boots was doing the same thing. No tears, etc. I couldn't see any place where oil could have dripped onto it, so I replaced it. When it was off, I could see that the boot was dry rotted by squeezing it. So I imagine that grease was leaking out through micro fractures. That's one possibility.
Old 10-27-15, 11:16 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Originally Posted by thaeleelyr
I don't have your vehicle. I have an old 99 RX300. One of my boots was doing the same thing. No tears, etc. I couldn't see any place where oil could have dripped onto it, so I replaced it. When it was off, I could see that the boot was dry rotted by squeezing it. So I imagine that grease was leaking out through micro fractures. That's one possibility.
I had my LX fronts replaced at a Toyota dealership for $699. My driver side boot was fine but the passenger side had grease around the boot. I asked my service rep if it really needed replacing or could they just tighten the bands. He said the plastic shrinks over time because of heat and the boot shifts slightly off the groove on the axle breaking the seal. The explanation made sense to me so I had them replaced.
Old 10-28-15, 12:25 PM
RobRed
Rookie

For a mall cruiser the cheaper CV axles can work. If you use your LX / Land Cruiser as god intended - under no circumstances use anything but the OEM toyota axles. Anything less and you will pay the price for your frugality.

YOu can totally reband the CV boots . Dont be lied to by the dealer. These clamps have been used by hundreds of LX/LC owners.

http://www.pfranleds.com/cv-clamp-kit-6-piece/
Old 11-15-15, 11:00 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RobRed
For a mall cruiser the cheaper CV axles can work. If you use your LX / Land Cruiser as god intended - under no circumstances use anything but the OEM toyota axles. Anything less and you will pay the price for your frugality.

YOu can totally reband the CV boots . Dont be lied to by the dealer. These clamps have been used by hundreds of LX/LC owners.

http://www.pfranleds.com/cv-clamp-kit-6-piece/
Excellent advice.
Old 04-19-16, 03:54 PM
ucdruby
Driver School Candidate

Rebuilding the CV axles doesn't make sense to me. I recently had a CV joint axle boot leak (they detected it at my last oil change.) I have a GS 350 AWD. The dealership charged me $520. They included a complimentary loaner car and they detailed my GS 350.

I compared prices. Toyota quoted me $760 and a trusted local shop wanted $420. I went with Lexus as they provided me with a loaner for two days and they really stand by their work.
Old 04-19-16, 08:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ucdruby
Rebuilding the CV axles doesn't make sense to me. I recently had a CV joint axle boot leak (they detected it at my last oil change.) I have a GS 350 AWD. The dealership charged me $520. They included a complimentary loaner car and they detailed my GS 350.

I compared prices. Toyota quoted me $760 and a trusted local shop wanted $420. I went with Lexus as they provided me with a loaner for two days and they really stand by their work.
Don't forget the cookies and the work is warranted
Old 05-06-16, 06:10 PM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Can you provide the location of this shop? I have a 2008 lexus is250 AWD and i went to Longo Lexus (so cal) and they quoted me over $1100 to replace my front axle.

Originally Posted by ucdruby

Quick Reply: CV Boot Question