LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 01:29 PM
spoildmama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions...

We just purchased an '01 LX470 from a dealership and LOVE it , but it needs a few little minor things done that are bugging us. We like everything to be in working order. :-)

1. One of the lights on the running boards is out- no big deal, just annoying to look at. Our friend is a Toyota mechanic, so if we order the bulb from Lexus, is it something he could easily replace?

2. The dealersip replaced a cracked heat shield but I still hear a clicking noise. What else could it be? Easy fix or no?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-07, 01:40 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

1. Yes. There are actually I think 4 lights per running board, 2 long ones, 2 regular bulb type ones on the bottom (front and rear of the board) pointing straight down. Those are usually covered in mud/dirt, so you may not even notice them.

2. Are the clicking noises only when the engine is cold when you start up in the morning and disappear when the engine warms up, more like a ticking sound you hear only when the engine is running? If so, then exhaust manifold(s) are cracked=$$$ to replace. They typically go around 80-100K mi. If it's just the crackling of the cat converter cooling down AFTER you shut off the engine, that happens on every car.
Old 11-08-07, 02:45 PM
spoildmama
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
1. Yes. There are actually I think 4 lights per running board, 2 long ones, 2 regular bulb type ones on the bottom (front and rear of the board) pointing straight down. Those are usually covered in mud/dirt, so you may not even notice them.

2. Are the clicking noises only when the engine is cold when you start up in the morning and disappear when the engine warms up, more like a ticking sound you hear only when the engine is running? If so, then exhaust manifold(s) are cracked=$$$ to replace. They typically go around 80-100K mi. If it's just the crackling of the cat converter cooling down AFTER you shut off the engine, that happens on every car.
1. So should we buy a manual/repair guide or is it pretty easy to get in there to replace the bulb without it?

2. The clicking noise is when the engine is revved, whether cold or warmed up. But not while idling. We thought replacing the cracked heat shield would get rid of it, but it's still there. If the exhaust manifold is cracked, the dealership should have caught that right (when they were under there replacing the cracked heat shield)? We have an extended warranty on it- I wonder if that would be covered. It has 90k miles.
Old 11-09-07, 06:50 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

I would take it to another dealership. If you do have a cracked manifold, you definitely want to get it done while the rig is still under warranty, 'cause it's like $1.5K to replace EACH of the manifolds, and usually only one goes bad at a time!

You should get the factory manuals, but they won't help you very much for replacing the lights on the running boards. I have the manuals and it just shoes a diagram of all the parts attaching the board on with no verbal description, nor is there ANY description on how to replace ANY of the bulbs in the vehicle! I guess toyota figures that stuff is obvious. In a nutshell, I believe you have to remove the running board to replace the bulb though I have not attempted it myself. I heard those light bulbs are pricey. If this is the case, I might just remove the boards and install custom-painted slee sliders instead.
Old 11-10-07, 07:05 AM
spoildmama
Driver School Candidate

I am going to take it back to the Lexus dealership and tell them look again. Unfortunately the only other Lexus dlrshp is way too far away. I could take it to the Toyota dlrshp though. Hmmm.....

I looked at the extended warranty and exhaust manifolds are covered.
Old 11-11-07, 06:17 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

When I bought our 02LX, the driver-side rear funning board light (the long one) was out. There are actually only 2 lights per running board (4 total per vehicle).

Each light bulb actually lights up both the long (side light) and the little "puddle" light shooting beneath the running board. It's all in the fiber optics that are directing the light both ways.

It is actually fairly easy to replace. Bulb from local Lexus dealer was about $10 (it is a low wattage halogen bulb). I actually had a Lexus mechanic do it and I watched. He did NOT have to take the entire board off. Just go behind the painted portion of the back of the board (not on the bottom but on the side facing the respective tire). There is a little plastic retaining clip that should be removed to separate the plastic portion of the running board from the metal "frame" behind it. You will likely break the retaining clip but the bulb package should include a new retaining clip (mine did).

There may also be a couple of bolts or screws that allow you to access a black cylinder looking bulb cover that just twists off (will be tight). Then it was just as simple as pulling out the bulb, disconnecting electrical connection, replacing it with new bulb and putting it back together. No need to splice wires, replace any parts (except for the retaining clip) and the total install took about 30 minutes. But honestly, 20 minutes was spent trying to figure out how to dissassemble it. Next time, knowing what to do, the job should take about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-07, 06:48 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

This is good info. So you're saying the long light is really a fiber optic and it uses a "normal" bulb that just fits in either end of the running board?
Old 11-14-07, 06:55 PM
spoildmama
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcc1975
When I bought our 02LX, the driver-side rear funning board light (the long one) was out. There are actually only 2 lights per running board (4 total per vehicle).

Each light bulb actually lights up both the long (side light) and the little "puddle" light shooting beneath the running board. It's all in the fiber optics that are directing the light both ways.

It is actually fairly easy to replace. Bulb from local Lexus dealer was about $10 (it is a low wattage halogen bulb). I actually had a Lexus mechanic do it and I watched. He did NOT have to take the entire board off. Just go behind the painted portion of the back of the board (not on the bottom but on the side facing the respective tire). There is a little plastic retaining clip that should be removed to separate the plastic portion of the running board from the metal "frame" behind it. You will likely break the retaining clip but the bulb package should include a new retaining clip (mine did).

There may also be a couple of bolts or screws that allow you to access a black cylinder looking bulb cover that just twists off (will be tight). Then it was just as simple as pulling out the bulb, disconnecting electrical connection, replacing it with new bulb and putting it back together. No need to splice wires, replace any parts (except for the retaining clip) and the total install took about 30 minutes. But honestly, 20 minutes was spent trying to figure out how to dissassemble it. Next time, knowing what to do, the job should take about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.
That is great info- thanks for the tips!