LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Questions about 60k service

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 03:19 PM
peasept
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Questions about 60k service

Just got off the phone with my Lexus dealer and was surprised at the cost of the 60k service I was quoted: $1300 (I was told that it included $550 to repack the front wheel bearings), last time I had it done it was $600. Other less convenient dealers are charging between $525 and $695 but not including repacking the front wheel bearings. It is impossible to compare apples to apples or determine what really needs to be done.

What are the prices others are paying? I live in the Washington DC area.

Is repacking the fron wheel bearings necessary. I had my 99 LX470 for 85,000 miles and never did it and this one for 60,000 and never did it despite the fact that my service dept now says it should be done every 30,000.

Thanks
Old 10-25-07, 08:07 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by peasept
Just got off the phone with my Lexus dealer and was surprised at the cost of the 60k service I was quoted: $1300 (I was told that it included $550 to repack the front wheel bearings), last time I had it done it was $600. Other less convenient dealers are charging between $525 and $695 but not including repacking the front wheel bearings. It is impossible to compare apples to apples or determine what really needs to be done.

What are the prices others are paying? I live in the Washington DC area.

Is repacking the fron wheel bearings necessary. I had my 99 LX470 for 85,000 miles and never did it and this one for 60,000 and never did it despite the fact that my service dept now says it should be done every 30,000.

Thanks
The book says it should be done every 30K, but in reality, if you don't submerge the hub and drive mostly on pavement, you can go 50-60K. I used to repack mine every 30K, but I don't submerge the hub or drive that much offroad, so I've found that it can go 40-50K easily. Over time, the bearings loosen, grease gets old, etc. Bearing repack typically runs about $350. It's a messy, laborious job. Parts are cheap (~$50), but it's all labor...about 4 hrs. And if you ever replace the front rotors, get the bearings repacked since the difference in labor is virtually the same (still have to pull the caliper off, remove drive flange, locknuts, outer bearing, hub, etc.) I would certainly repack before 85K although the PO of my 86 4runner ran it 102K before a repack was done.

My dealer charges $2.4K for the 60K service....they do a bunch of unnecessary stuff, like timing belt inspection (ie, front engine teardown), valve gap check (manual only calls for an audible check), spark plug replacement (plugs are iridium rated at 120K mi).

I did the 60K mostly myself:

-repacked front wheel bearings
-changed engine oil/oil filter
-changed front/rear diff fluid, t-case fluid
-changed engine air filter
-cabin air filters (2)
-coolant change using Toyota red and steam distilled water (don't use tap water; all dealers use tap water)
-cross rotated tires
-inspected brake/fuel lines underneath vehicle
-retorqued suspension bolts, rear driveshaft
-grease driveshafts
-cleaned throttle body flap area (dealer won't do this)
-flushed PS fluid w/ Redline synthetic ATF w/ dextron II (not listed in manual)

-transmission fluid exchange (12 qts, dealer; you need to specify how much fluid or they only do 8 qts. Capacity is 12 qts)
-flushed brake fluid (dealer)
-flushed AHC fluid (dealer)

I use the pricey Mobil 1 devlac 5w40 commercial engine oil (~$28/gal), M1 delvac 75w90 gear oil. Otherwise, if you use dino gear oil, it only lasts 15-20k mi even when driving in mild 70F temps. The synthetic will go 40K mi easily. I use synthetics for all my vehicles, partly since they are better on the engine/drivetrain, partly to reduce maintenance (have 3 cars to maintain).
Old 10-29-07, 03:30 PM
Deven
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jim, I just saw this post after posting a similar post about the 90K service. By any chance do you know any 'reliable' center (other than the dealer) that you would trust doing the fluids? I am going to have them change the timing belt (they say it is a good idea especially here in AZ).
Old 10-30-07, 12:37 PM
gurjot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got an estimate for $600 from Serramonte lexus in South San Fransisco and $1399 from Magnussen in Fremont. Both service advisors told me no need to do front bearing repacks and AHC fluid exchange if you do not take vehicle offroad. They also say no need to do transmission flush if you do not take vehicle off road. Just do the transmission fluid change which is cheaper.

Here is what I plan to do as my 2001 LX470 has 60,500 miles on it:

Change engine oil/filter myself
I have already changed the engine air filter
Change cabin air filter myself
Change coolant myself
Get dealer to do transmission and differential oil change and tyre rotation.
Inspect everything myself as it is waste of dealer's time and my money.
Above should not cost more than $400.

Spark plugs, timing belt, engine belts hoses last 100K so no need to worry at 60K. You can do those at 90K or 120K. Do the front wheel bearing repack when you change the front rotors like Jim said.

Got the following from the dealer - probably applies to all Lexus models:

Here is the information you have requested.
60,000 mile service Estimated @ $1399.00 + tax
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace EFI air filter
Replace fuel tank cap and gasket
Replace emission PCV valve
Replace alternator drive belt
Replace platinum spark plugs
Replace transmission fluid
Replace differential fluid
Replace brake fluid
Replace engine coolant
Adjust valve clearances
Inspect timing belt
Inspect distributor cap and rotors
Inspect diagnostic system
Inspect charcoal canister
Inspect, rotate and set pressure of tires
Balance front tires
Inspect and adjust hand brake
Inspect battery electrolyte
Inspect power steering
Inspect wiper blades
Inspect and fill windshield washer fluid
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect undercarriage
Inspect all lights
Add fuel treatment
Complimentary car wash

Service applies to all models with the following mileage:

60,000 - 120,000 - 180,000

*Service takes approximately 2 days to complete and includes a loaner car.
Thank you for letting us do our best by 'simply serving you'.
Cheers,

Lindsay Dodge
Appointment Coordinator
Magnussen's Lexus of Fremont
5600 Cushing Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
510.226-4214
FAX 510.492-5686
URL: WWW.MAGNUSSENLEXUS.COM
Old 11-01-07, 11:39 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The dealers are wrong on the AHC fluid replacement. Regardless if you drive on/offroad, the AHC is on and working ALL THE TIME. The AHC constantly monitors the acceleration/braking rate, cornering, etc. and supplies extra hydraulic pressure to the shocks that need it. For example, when you are braking or driving down a steep hill, the AHC supplies more pressure to the front shocks so the nose doesn't dive (likewise to the rear shocks when you accelerate hard or are driving up a steep hill). When you drive around a curve, it supplies more pressure to the outer shocks so the car doesn't lean.

Most service managers are clueless on how the AHC functions. Mine said you couldn't bleed the height actuator but the FSM specifically shows you where to bleed it. The tech standing nearby confirmed that they could do it. Otherwise, they just bleed the 4 globes. You need to tell them to do bleed the 4 globes plus height actuator (it's a cylindrical canister under the driver's side frame rail, bleeder valve right next to it). This device adjusts the height.
Old 10-24-10, 02:18 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, so I have brought this thread back from the dead to ask a question about a major service interval cost. Our LX is going in Thursday for it's 120k. My service writer says this runs $1395, does that sound right? Seems like an awful lot of cash to shell out once again since the last major service interval was done at 90k costing just over $1300.