LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

TruFilter oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 01:16 PM
ctls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TruFilter oil filter

Has anyone used this filter? It is a reusable oil filter that can be opened and the gauze media cleaned. I am considering this because of the filter rating is 30 micron absolute (or so I have been told) and standard paper filter are 50-400 micron plus it filters all the oil (can be had with no bypass). Also better for the environment as my old filters aren't headed for the local landfill...
Old 08-24-07, 02:28 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ctls
Has anyone used this filter? It is a reusable oil filter that can be opened and the gauze media cleaned. I am considering this because of the filter rating is 30 micron absolute (or so I have been told) and standard paper filter are 50-400 micron plus it filters all the oil (can be had with no bypass). Also better for the environment as my old filters aren't headed for the local landfill...
Life is tough enough without reusing filters and cleaning elements. If you use a Toyota filter and change it every 5000 miles with good oil your LX/LC engine should last well over 300K miles.
Old 08-24-07, 03:53 PM
Texasoil
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil filter-reuse or throwaway

THere IS a difference in oil filters. Go to the parts store and read the labels. They now have 'filter efficiency ratings' which are a reliable indicator of performance.

The better performing filter brands tout their performance. The 'also-ran' brands have it located 'somewhere' but hard to find.

Also use good air filters and the best gasoline you can find. Cheap gas is VERY EXPENSIVE when you have to start cleaning/replacing plugged fuel injectors and cleaning the induction system every 10K miles due to low detergency levels.
Old 08-27-07, 08:09 AM
ctls
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I operate a laboratory that tests and formulates engine oils, ATF and various other products. I thought that I could have better control on the filtering efficency with this filter. I have been warned of the "Orange kiss of Death" (Fram) but was not familar with this one. As you stated gasoline is very important and a Tier III should be used if at all possible. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-07, 10:20 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ctls
Thanks, I operate a laboratory that tests and formulates engine oils, ATF and various other products. I thought that I could have better control on the filtering efficency with this filter. I have been warned of the "Orange kiss of Death" (Fram) but was not familar with this one. As you stated gasoline is very important and a Tier III should be used if at all possible. Thanks again.

Here is a question for you. What is the new Toyota ATF "WS" is it a synthetic? Do you think it is a lifetime fill if you never tow?
Old 08-27-07, 02:18 PM
ctls
Driver School Candidate

Thw 'WS' stands for world standard. It's a newer ATF used by Toyota primarily in the Prius, not synthetic but thinner (lower viscosity) than conventional ATF for less internal drag and improved mileage. I don't believe any ATF is good for the life of the tranny. They tried to tell me that on my Jag XJR but I change it anyway. I don't know how the drain/fill is on the newer LX's but I would try to figure it out anyway. The dealer will probably not want to change it. Any oil/ATF is subject to oxidation and degradation. When that happens you end up with deposits inside the tranny or engine. Hope that helps...BTW I heard it is pretty expensive $40 or 50/gallon.