LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Help-Chronic CD Player Problems-LX470

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-01, 10:45 AM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help-Chronic CD Player Problems-LX470

Since purchasing a certified '98 470 in May I have had three different CD units installed. Each time the CDs will not play or unload. It gives an Error code "ERR3". When taking it into the dealer they said it happens all the time and they just keep swapping it with other refurbished units. I am getting pretty tired of this and by all means do not want to have this on-going problem after the warranty expires. Any suggestions or advice? Have others experienced this problem? If so, how did you finally get it fixed once and for all? Thanks!
Lisa_LX
Old 01-16-02, 06:32 AM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

1Sicklex, thanks for your reply! I took your advice and called Lexus Customer Support. They were useless. They said that it is impossible to replace it with a brand new unit since those are only available in Japan to be installed on the production line. No new replacements are available in the USA. They can only continue to replace it with refurbished units. But I have little hope that it will work any better than it has with the past replacement refurbs. Meantime, still waiting on the local dealer to get a refurb again...wow this sure is a lengthy process and very frustrating!
Old 01-17-02, 07:03 AM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bunches!!! I sure could use any advice I can get. Last night the Service Dept called to say they had dropped the ball on ordering the replacement again. I explained my frustration with this whole process and he admitted that they do have a lot of problems with the CD units in the LX470's for some reason. I guess since I'm now on my 4th one! If the stereo experts have any suggestions for replacements or what might be happening, that would be great. I'm trying to recall (since it jammed a couple of months ago) if it might have a CD-R in it and perhaps that is complicating the matter. Again, thanks for your help!
Old 01-18-02, 11:04 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

I have a 1998 LX 470, it is in the shop right now, they are ordering a cd changer. This is the first time it has acted up. I had 6 cd's in the dash changer and it wouldn't play or eject them. Good luck.
Old 01-18-02, 02:13 PM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

LX470MANN, my case exactly. I had six loaded and it won't eject or play. Hopefully, this is the only time you experience it but, I'm not very optimistic as you might understand. Good luck to you as well!
Old 01-27-02, 12:02 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

yeah lisa, got my new (re-furb) 6 disc installed yesterday. Works great, hopefully it will not be a chronic problem like yours was. Over all how happy are you with your LX? I am considering getting rid of mine soon, i bought it last april, as a certified pre-owned, the mileage was around 50,000. The certified program gives you a warranty until 100K miles. My odometer now reads 84K miles. There was about ten things on my lexus that didn't work or were broken, my power antenna would not retract, the drivers door window electronics panel didn't work, my heating was blowing cold air, the list went on. Fortunately the lexus dealer near my home fixed everything under warranty. But If all this happened at 85K i wonder what is going to happen when I am out of warranty?
Old 01-27-02, 01:10 PM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

Default CDR's? General thoughts

LX470Mann- Great to hear that yours is up and running again. Do you load CDRs in it? I really wonder if I have one in there that may have caused the problem. As to my thoughts on the LX, overall I am satisfied. I also bought it pre-owned at 30K miles and had several items that needed attention but, the dealership I get service from (not where I purchased it) fixed me up under warranty. But I have the same concerns about reliability over the long haul. My other vehicle is a BMW 528i and it has similar issues from time to time...the more bells and whistles the greater the probability of something breaking down. Two totally different vehicles but, I consider both the best in their class!
Old 01-29-02, 02:50 PM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Yeah those are two great cars. I had a gs300 which I totalled in December (one of the best cars I have ever driven. I just test drove the BMW X5 the other day for the second time. I considered it when I first bought my LX, but at that time I thought it was overpriced(I hate buying new). But now they are reasonable and the performance is excellent, might just be my next car. I think I will hold on to my LX until 100K. What Lexus dealer do you go to?
Old 02-03-02, 06:22 AM
BlackLXSC
Rookie

I have had the same ERR3 error pop up on the '00 LX a couple of times. Each time, the unit would reset itself after a couple of minutes of down time. I would shut down the radio unit first, and if that did not work, I would shut down the car.

Overall, the unit seems to reset itself without too much off a hassle. I may just be lucky with my unit. I never had any CD-R discs in the changer during any of these time frames.

Oh, this may have also helped in fixing the problem - Beating the dashboard on top of the radio unit a few times in pure frustration.
Old 02-03-02, 06:37 AM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

Lucky for you...despite my efforts to get the CDs to eject or play, I've never had any luck. Just got another refurb this past week we'll see how long it lasts. I will probably never put another CDR in it though if that is what I had loaded at the time (can't remember). Lexus says it will take 6-8 wks before I see the CDs that were stuck inside. I've never tried actually beating the dashboard, I'll take that in consideration if I get to the point of the 5th refurb Thanks!
Old 03-22-04, 09:22 AM
thynes
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Error Code 3

I've experienced the Err 3 issue on my '00 LX470. Every time I'd turn on the ignition the CD player would start to cycle through its eject routine, but nothing would happen. In the past this problem has resolved itself after I turned off the ignition and restarted the truck.

This last time that easy fix didn't work, so as the player went through its eject routine (the lights on each side of the CD insertion point blink, the player mechanism makes a spinning noise and the display flashes EJECT), I partially inserted a CD into the CD opening, and that caused the CD mechanism to come out of its loop and start ejecting the CDs that were "stuck" inside.

I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it worked for me. I'd rather do whatever it takes to just make the existing CD player work rather than have the dealer mess with it. Use an old CD you don't care about in case the player takes an additional disc hostage.
Old 03-22-04, 10:19 AM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

Thynes- I have used this trick many times to recover stuck CD's. Many times it works but still on occasion it doesn't. Just a couple of weeks ago, I went in for my 5th unit replacement. So far I haven't had any issues...but I'm not very optimistic. Oh yes, and I have never loaded another CDR. Good luck!
Old 03-24-04, 05:38 AM
iceman143
Driver School Candidate

I have a '99 and experienced the same problems with the CD player. It seems (after having a lengthy discussion with my dealer) it is a very common situation with these units. I have even found a company advertising on ebay that they are located just outside of Atlanta and do factory service work on the CD head unit. One can ship to them direct for them to fix it.

I've begun looking into an aftermarket replacement but the problem is Lexus makes the head unit and opening so that it is proprietary. Other units won't fit properly without a custom designed replacement piece to fill the large void. So far the best price I've found for an installer is $300 to replace and fix the void. The price doesn't include costs related to whatever you buy to replace it. There are excellent aftermarket radio/CD players which don't have these problems and perform much better. In dash DVD players are also available but I prefer to use a portable DVD player which mounts between the front seats for use and viewing by my 19 month old son.
Old 03-26-04, 10:02 AM
Traturn
Driver

Lisa, do you have homeade lables on your CDR's ? Often times these lables will cause the CD's to jam, and cause a radio error. If you use CDR's without homeade lables, they should not cause any issues. The homeade lables DO wreak havoc inside these radio's tho. Either they dont stick right, or loose their sticky when in the machine. Even just the added surface area can cause an error/jam. Use a sharpie !

The service dept. has returned your CD's after they replaced the rado's, yes?

Usualy Pioneer will put an advisory letter in with them, for 'troublesome' cd's to watchout for (mini-cd's / square cd's etc)

Good luck with this Unit !
Old 03-26-04, 10:43 AM
Lisa_LX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Traturn! I have always only used a Sharpie! I can imagine that labels would even make a bad situation worse! I have gotten my CDR's/CD's back each time though. No jams with this unit so far.

Quick Reply: Help-Chronic CD Player Problems-LX470