LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX470 VSC/ Slip Control Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 10:45 PM
Loay
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction slip issue on sharp turn

Same problem happend to me and i struggled alot , all of the problems happened after i have repaired the steeering box. I have replaced the seals and the bushes on my 2007 lx470 in which the steering box need to be removed and re assembled again.

After assembling the steering box and doing wheel alignment the car some times started buzzering and applying brakes on sharp right curves while I'm driving 120km/hr. That moments were scarry .

Intial trials to fix this problem is to calibriate the VGRS to zero point (steering angle adjustment using Toyota intelligent tester) same also to calibriate Yaw rate sensor.
After doing so the problem still exist and many search over the internet didn't provide any solution to . I did repack the front bearings, changed the Yaw rate sensor with new one, cleaned all ABS sensors ans sensor rotor ring, checked the wiring and no discontinuity found, replaced all ABS sensors, checked the axel snap ring gap and it was within spec, checked all wheel bearing, perform zero point calibriation, put the AHC hight to OEM spesification and pressure, checked the poly bush, replaced both rear upper control arm to minimize the leaning as the bush were shot, checked all tires thread wear and size were matching even though i replaced the tires with new one after doing so non of the above solved my problem

Update:

As i was thinkig it came to my mind that this problem started to me once i have changed the shot OEM steering bushing to Polyurethane poly bushes from ebay. I searched in the internet and found other rack bushed from estonia.
Prat number : TAB-UZJ100-KIT Febest branded
These bush looks same as the OEM parts and they allow lift and right movement in the entire steering rack exactly as the OEM does , this slight movement in the steering rack accomodate for slight extra turn by the tire due to weight shift and this slight shift in steering box allow for extra turning angle that provide correct speed the skid control ABS , The poly bush which keeps the rack fixed in one position did not allow for extra turning angle due to weight leaning and thus the fron tires rotate at higher speed than expected by skid controle ecu eventually activating the brakes in the outer side brakes.
The bush i ordered look the same as OEM and they fit all the models from 98~2007Lx and LC. I ordered the bush through ebay and fixed them. The bush with circulal hole will be placed near the pinion and the bush with oval screw hole will fix away from the pinion.

Here is the link for the bush:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/222331171313?_mwBanner=1

Pictures:

The front bushes has circular hole this to be fixed bear the pinion . The back bushes has simi circular bush those to be fixed away from the pinion.

After installtion of bushes the truck changed completely and no more beeping on the road.

The perminent fix for this issue is one of the below solutions:
1- Replacing the full steering rack costs 1300$ as the OEM rack will have OEM bush that you can relay on for long term.
2-Use aftermarket bush check mentioned above TAB-UJZ100-KIT , part cost around 60$ with shippment

Through what i discovered in all my search people who found solution to their trucks didn't report back to make the let us know about their solution. Here I reported back to let the guys take the benefit from my post.

Remmember that trucks with skid control and many sensors its not recomended to install poly bush as they are stiff.

Such problem might also caused for the above checks i did but mostley due to the bushing.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
vgrs calibriation LX470.pdf (302.4 KB, 3344 views)

Last edited by Loay; 02-16-17 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
furtfurt (09-06-22)
Old 01-19-17, 03:39 PM
richsaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'01 LX470 200k mi. and brakes activating randomly usu. on curves; had one road in particular that would trigger it 100% of the time. Nothing abnormal on computer per mechanic; therefore thought had to be mechanical in elsewhere in car. Noted excessively play in steering, spoke with mechanic about replacing rack and pinion. He agreed with reservation but it cleared all episodes except on "one road" but had reduced incidence by >50%. Wife gets in car and wants to know when I plan to get new tires as she will need pricey BMW tires in 1-2 mos.! Got tires immediately and all problems have cleared!! Now 15K down road with new tires, tight steering and no problems. I think the sensors are generally correct and reading mechanical wear and tear in various parts of the system..from wheels to bearings to rack to steering. In other words it's not a one location problem repair that solves all problems. Hope this helps somebody.
The following users liked this post:
furtfurt (09-06-22)
Old 03-19-18, 09:06 AM
supergoji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so it seems as if there is not one issue that can cause this...well this is just great.

having the same issue. Xmas lights on the dash, abs, vsc, trc off.
Old 06-20-18, 06:42 PM
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc alarms and wheel start to lock up for no reason

Originally Posted by makulaf
I tried a search but could not find anything helpful, so I am hoping someone here might have some ideas...

I have a 2000 lx470 with 140k miles. I love this SUV. However, about 4 months ago, I was driving in a light rain on a slight curve on the interstate and all of a sudden, the front left tire almost locked up causing my back end to come around in the rain. It scared the crap out of me! I cannot remember whether the vsc light came on or not. I pulled over to the side of the road, and then it was like nothing ever happened. Then a couple of days later, I began having a problem when I would turn sharply to pull into a parking space; the brakes (or brake)would almost lock up. I am not talking pulling in fast, just regular parking and the brakes (or brake)would apply enough where the SUV would not move without a little gas. Then it would go away when I straightened it out.

I took it to a brake shop since it needed them anyway, and had the brakes and rotors replaced.

No problems until yesterday. I was driving about 50mph on a curved embankment and the front left tire began breaking heavily even though I was not on the breaks. Then everything was fine. It was not raining, not skidding, normal driving for this highway. This happened again about 5 minutes later. I drove carefully to work without incident, everything seemed ok, then on my way home, I pulled into a space, and it did the brake thing again and it seemed like the front of the car on the side that was braking was lower than the rest even though the car was not moving.

I am sure this does not sound like it makes any sense, but has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any idea what this might be? Could it be the VSC acting up? I have the LX parked until I can figure out what is wrong but thought I might ask some of the gurus here if they had any ideas before taking it to the dealership.

Thanks in advance for any help,
fish
I have a 2001 RX300 that did me like that. After a little bit of research I found that the stabilizer bushing in the rack and pinion was worn completely out. I found a new bushing online through PartsGeek and it only took an hour to install. Running like new, hope that helps.
Old 06-23-18, 12:24 AM
Crgmvz12
Driver School Candidate

Default Got it fixed

I tried a search but could not find anything helpful, so I am hoping someone here might have some ideas...

I have a 2000 lx470 with 140k miles. I love this SUV. However, about 4 months ago, I was driving in a light rain on a slight curve on the interstate and all of a sudden, the front left tire almost locked up causing my back end to come around in the rain. It scared the crap out of me! I cannot remember whether the vsc light came on or not. I pulled over to the side of the road, and then it was like nothing ever happened. Then a couple of days later, I began having a problem when I would turn sharply to pull into a parking space; the brakes (or brake)would almost lock up. I am not talking pulling in fast, just regular parking and the brakes (or brake)would apply enough where the SUV would not move without a little gas. Then it would go away when I straightened it out.

I took it to a brake shop since it needed them anyway, and had the brakes and rotors replaced.

No problems until yesterday. I was driving about 50mph on a curved embankment and the front left tire began breaking heavily even though I was not on the breaks. Then everything was fine. It was not raining, not skidding, normal driving for this highway. This happened again about 5 minutes later. I drove carefully to work without incident, everything seemed ok, then on my way home, I pulled into a space, and it did the brake thing again and it seemed like the front of the car on the side that was braking was lower than the rest even though the car was not moving.

I am sure this does not sound like it makes any sense, but has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any idea what this might be? Could it be the VSC acting up? I have the LX parked until I can figure out what is wrong but thought I might ask some of the gurus here if they had any ideas before taking it to the dealership.

fish

Sorry if this is too late, I have a 2000 lx470 and had the same problem with my pregnant wife on board, pulling into the Freeway @65 mph, I was like wtf!! The light of slip control came as an alarm after Checked around with some. Mechanics and after checking all, we figure that the rack and pinion from the steering had some bad bushings, so This makes the tires move a little when moving the tires at high speeds, anyway the rack was 200 and the labour 180 and it goes like new again.

Hooefully this helps someone!
​​​​​​
Old 11-25-18, 10:12 AM
Betsysmith
Driver School Candidate

Steve, did you ever solve this issue? I’m having this problem now. Almost exact same scenario as yours including work done just prior including steering wheel alignment due to approx 30 degrees. Also had front brakes and rotors replaced the day prior.
Old 11-25-18, 11:20 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Betsysmith
Steve, did you ever solve this issue? I’m having this problem now. Almost exact same scenario as yours including work done just prior including steering wheel alignment due to approx 30 degrees. Also had front brakes and rotors replaced the day prior.
Ms. Smith, I never posted that our LX had any steering issues.

Was the alignment done at a Lexus or Toyota dealer, or an independent shop with a great reputation? If not, that's where I'd take the truck. Steering wheel alignment that's 30 degrees off doesn't tend to happen overnight.

Please report what you and your shop find.

Steve
Old 03-17-19, 08:19 PM
Ray8404
Driver School Candidate

Default Lx470 VSC engaging/ traction control issue**FIXED**

I encountered the same problem a week ago. Traction control keeps beeping and engaging the brakes on right turns. Sometimes its just the beep and vsc light but if the turns are sharper and longer then the brakes will definitely engage. It was quite scary since its my daily and our family vehicle. It also put those vehicle around at risk. Please do not drive anymore when you encounter this problem. After reading previous threads , some are unpredictable. In my case it was just the right turn. I did some research and im glad i found this and ih8mud forum, i was able to get an idea on where to start investigating what the problem was. I discovered that there was play on the rack steering due to the bushing being worn out. Ended up buying new bushings on amazon part number W13210 for 98-22. After i replaced it, problem went away. Thanks for all the people that posted their updates it helped lot, which is why im doing the same. The job itself was relatively easy took me about couple of hours. Presoaked the bolts with rust penetrator while waiting for the shipping. Bolts came out with no drama. ih8mud have multiple write ups on how to replaced them. This specific thread however was the one that helped me a lot. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ste...cement.909512/ . Hope this helps and be safe out there.
Old 05-16-19, 07:13 AM
cheapass
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by volvofixer
I had a similar problem with a 2000 Landcruiser. Our shop replaced the ABS control ECM and that fixed the problem. Hope this helps.
did you get any part numbers /serial numbers/ alternates for that?
Old 07-10-19, 10:19 AM
suSharma
Driver School Candidate

Default lx470 slippery vsc on and braking- scary

Originally Posted by Lexusist
It Seems A lot of LX 470 owners are having same problem. I expect Lexus to Do a recall on this particular model. I had the same problem: The VSC light came up on the dashboard and the wheel locked suddenly while i was driving on the highway. It was a scary moment of my life. Thank God the trailer behind me turn slightly to the right before it got closer to me, it could have been worst situation. I think Every LX 470 owner in this forum should agree to to send a petition to lexus for a recall on this particular model, the situation is a common problem with all LX 470 after a certain mile, this could cost someone their life if nothing is done. If you are with me send me a message to my inbox.

Thanks
lets file law suite on lexus...iam scared to drive it on highway....useless car.....email me and will join petition....stevesharmausa@gmail.com
Old 07-10-19, 10:28 AM
suSharma
Driver School Candidate

This VSC light with alarm goes off even at local streets of NYC...its crazy and scary.....at 30mph on BQE at small curve my truck auto brake...it scared crap out of me with my wife and 2 kids in back.....i aint driving it on highway anymore...can drive only local strrets...lets file law suite on lexus...iam scared to drive it on highway....useless Truck.....email me lets all file petition..and get this freaking Lexus company straighten out....I cant believe no lexus dealer or lexus itself responding in this forum...what is it??..all they need is our money??????????.no service???.......stevesharmausa@gmail.com
Old 07-10-19, 10:29 AM
suSharma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brock48
I have a 2000 LX 470, 206K miles. At around the 140K miles mark we started getting this problem. Ours happened when gassing up from a dead stop and the ABS would start engaging as your foot was on the accelerator...like in the middle of an intersection or pulling out onto a busy road. The vcs light(s) and anti slip(?) lights would flicker on in unison with the brakes/abs function engaging. Lexus Dealer said I needed to replace ABS unit to the tune of $3,500. My local guy said that was kind of his assumption and he could do it for $2,800. However, he also thought it was focused on the front driver-side tire and that it could just be a bad sensor, which was a little more than $300. It was a leap of faith (a $300+ risk) but it cured the problem. Almost 70k miles later, she is running well. Brock
This VSC light with alarm goes off even at local streets of NYC...its crazy and scary.....at 30mph on BQE at small curve my truck auto brake...it scared crap out of me with my wife and 2 kids in back.....i aint driving it on highway anymore...can drive only local strrets...lets file law suite on lexus...iam scared to drive it on highway....useless Truck.....email me lets all file petition..and get this freaking Lexus company straighten out....I cant believe no lexus dealer or lexus itself responding in this forum...what is it??..all they need is our money??????????.no service???.......stevesharmausa@gmail.com
Old 07-10-19, 10:32 AM
suSharma
Driver School Candidate

dont waste your money on truck....This VSC light with alarm goes off even at local streets of NYC...its crazy and scary.....at 30mph on BQE at small curve my truck auto brake...it scared crap out of me with my wife and 2 kids in back.....i aint driving it on highway anymore...can drive only local strrets...lets file law suite on lexus...iam scared to drive it on highway....useless Truck.....email me lets all file petition..and get this freaking Lexus company straighten out....I cant believe no lexus dealer or lexus itself responding in this forum...what is it??..all they need is our money??????????.no service???.......stevesharmausa@gmail.com
Old 07-10-19, 10:33 AM
suSharma
Driver School Candidate

fish
Old 07-10-19, 10:40 AM
suSharma
Driver School Candidate

Quick Reply: LX470 VSC/ Slip Control Problem???