LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Automatic power lock question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 12:21 PM
ryanp303
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic power lock question

Hello everyone, I am new to posting but not reading this forum. If this question has been answered before, please forgive me.

I have a 2003 LX470 that has an automatic power lock feature which engages the locks everytime you switch the transmission into drive. I know that the owners manual states that this feature can be turned off or changed to allow the locks to be unlocked once the vehicle's transmission has been switched back into park; however, the manual also states that I need to take it to my local Lexus dealer to have this service performed. Does anyone know how to change the power lock feature (assuming you don't want to take it to a dealer)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-07, 02:07 PM
Ishinc
Driver

First off Welcome to CL!

We need more LX owners here!

I'm pretty sure that the automatic locking is something the dealer has to change. They plug in a computer/pda to change the settings so I don't think you can change it yourself. For my GS it is called CBEST settings. Its probably called the same for the LX. Some dealers will do it for free, some charge.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-07, 02:13 PM
_JP_
Driver School Candidate

call around. someone will probably do it for free if you play your cards right.

jp
Old 01-18-07, 03:30 PM
Calbo
Driver School Candidate

They call it LPS or Lexus Personalized Settings. According to our local dealer, they'll do it for free the first time, and charge subsequent times. But yeah Ishinc is correct in that they plug a device into your vehicle and toggle the settings this way. IIRC this LPS was available on LX's 2003 and above.

Follow up question (sorry to hijack your post) but is there a way to do it yourself (door locking and other settings) for LX's 2002 and below? I own a 2001 and I'd like the doors to lock automatically when I shift into Drive.
Old 01-19-07, 08:28 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 Land Cruiser and I know that it can be programmed by the owner. I know because I programmed it myself when I purchased it new. I had one of four options.

How do you want yours to work? I can look it up in the owners manual.

I would imagine it's the same for the LX.
Old 01-20-07, 07:52 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Calbo
They call it LPS or Lexus Personalized Settings. According to our local dealer, they'll do it for free the first time, and charge subsequent times. But yeah Ishinc is correct in that they plug a device into your vehicle and toggle the settings this way. IIRC this LPS was available on LX's 2003 and above.

Follow up question (sorry to hijack your post) but is there a way to do it yourself (door locking and other settings) for LX's 2002 and below? I own a 2001 and I'd like the doors to lock automatically when I shift into Drive.
Hmm my 02' LX doesnt lock itself when I shift into drive.
Also when I get out of the car (car turned off), it doesn't lock itself.
It only locks itself when I unlock the car and don't open any of the
doors for like 1min Anyone have a solution so it would lock after
I get outta the car?

(sorry to jack ur thread)

also welcome to CL ryan!
Old 01-20-07, 10:55 AM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look here, post #15 is what you want.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.p...548#post944548
Old 01-20-07, 11:17 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

so it doesn't apply to my 02 LX?
Old 01-20-07, 08:02 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
so it doesn't apply to my 02 LX?
It was available 03 and up only.
Old 01-29-07, 06:43 PM
ryanp303
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the warm welcome and I apologize for not responding sooner.

I attempted to use the information contained in Hoser's link to change the locks myself but that did not work at all. It looks like I have a trip to the dealer in my future.

Gohawks64: My locks currently lock when I put the vehicle into drive but do not unlock. I would like the locks to unlock when I put the vehicle back into park. Any ideas?

Thanks for everyone's input, it is appreciated.
Old 01-29-07, 08:11 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanp303
Thanks for the warm welcome and I apologize for not responding sooner.

I attempted to use the information contained in Hoser's link to change the locks myself but that did not work at all. It looks like I have a trip to the dealer in my future.

Gohawks64: My locks currently lock when I put the vehicle into drive but do not unlock. I would like the locks to unlock when I put the vehicle back into park. Any ideas?

Thanks for everyone's input, it is appreciated.
This is the default setting (doors unlock once you put the vehicle in park). I had it changed to unlock manually only since I had a close call pulling up to a shopping center at dusk. Just as I put it into park and shut off the engine, some meth addict approach my vehicle (had his hands on the hood) trying to beg for money. I locked the doors ASAP, started up the engine, and got the hell outta there! After that, I had the lock settings changed.
Old 01-30-07, 12:18 PM
ryanp303
Driver School Candidate

Wow, good thing you were fast on the lock button. If you had the dealer change this setting for you, do you mind me asking what they charged?
Old 01-30-07, 03:53 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, good thing you were fast on the lock button. If you had the dealer change this setting for you, do you mind me asking what they charged?
If you're a regular at your local Lexus dealership's service department, they should comp this service to you. Lexus of Austin did just that for me when our LX was in for it's 65k service. I absolutely could not stand only having only the driver's door unlock when I put the vehicle in park and then having to press the unlock button only after I had walked all the way to the rear tailgate just to realize it was locked!

If you're nearly due for your next servicing, just have the service writer jot it down on his noteboard. If they don't comp it to you, it will at least be at a minimal charge since your truck is already taking up a service bay.
Old 01-30-07, 08:23 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I had it done as one of the conditions for buying the vehicle, but they never managed to acquire the 2nd master key from the previous owner, so I had to buy a second master key ($200) plus they charged me 1/2 hr labor. Only later did I learn that I could have that missing master key removed from the vehicle's CPU (they never told me when I bought the vehicle and they couldn't deliver the second master key!). I had the dealer do this, but they charged me another 1/2 hr of labor! Everytime I go there, I get nickel & dimed, so I now do most of the service myself, including the 60K service I just finished...saved me over $1K! BTW, 1/2 hr labor is $45.
Old 01-31-07, 07:59 PM
ryanp303
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Jim. I have learned to avoid the Lexus dealer if at all possible. So far, my experience at Lexus has been that they are not at all helpful in divulging information. Thanks for the info.