LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

06'LX: Active suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 06:08 AM
tella
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06'LX: Active suspension problem

Does anyone experience the same problem as i do with my 2006 LX's active suspension system. There is the "OFF" light under the hight control monitor on the dash. This ligh flashes all the time and because of the problem, I cannot change the height of the vehicle. Last week I took the SUV to a dealer to work on this problem and they claimed that they found some sensors out of alignment, other then that no other problems. When I picked up the car from the dealership the light was off and I could adjust the height, however, after just a few days the problem re-appeared. What could be wrong? Does the dealer know how to fix this problem, or it is some thing serious with the SUV? Anyone? Thanks
Old 12-26-06, 07:26 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tella
Does anyone experience the same problem as i do with my 2006 LX's active suspension system. There is the "OFF" light under the hight control monitor on the dash. This ligh flashes all the time and because of the problem, I cannot change the height of the vehicle. Last week I took the SUV to a dealer to work on this problem and they claimed that they found some sensors out of alignment, other then that no other problems. When I picked up the car from the dealership the light was off and I could adjust the height, however, after just a few days the problem re-appeared. What could be wrong? Does the dealer know how to fix this problem, or it is some thing serious with the SUV? Anyone? Thanks
Just take it back in and tell them to keep it until they know it is fixed. Under warranty, you get a nice loaner full of gas and I would make sure you talk to the service manager and explain that you are not pleased with having to bring it back for the same problem twice. Ask if they have someone that might know how to fix the problem???
Old 12-27-06, 04:59 PM
tella
Driver

Here is my update:
The dealer took the SUV back and after a few hours of checking anf testing they came up with an idea that the problem lies within the HID kit that I installed about 7 months ago. I used a ProXenon H1, 4300K HID kit. They told me that the 06'LX has the auto-leveling head lights and the new HID system is affecting them somehow; since the auto-leveling is related to the hight adjustment/control, the HID must removed in order to remedy the problem. What do you guys think? Does this explaination make any sense? Thanks
Old 12-27-06, 07:51 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

That's sounds like BS to me. If that were the case, wouldn't the problem only occur when your headlights were on? I could see that being an issue, but only at night. They may have noticed your aftermarket stuff on there, and decided that was the easy way out.

Personally, I would disco the power from the HIDs at the battery and make them prove that was the problem. If they're right, you can remove it. If they're wrong, then you haven't lost anything but a few minutes to disco the power leads.

You should remind them that non-US spec LX's come w/ HIDs and I believe they use the same lens & projector, as was discussed here.

Last edited by aedgington; 12-27-06 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 09:21 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't get the auto-leveling headlights. Shouldn't the headlights automatically be level on all LX470's since the AHC automatically levels the vehicle regardless of load as long as the load is under the max. limit? (e.g., connect a trailer to the vehicle, AHC should level the vehicle and, hence, headlights).
Old 12-28-06, 05:54 AM
tella
Driver

Jim_Chow, does the 06 LX have the auto-leveling headlights? If yes, then do they level independantly from the body itself. I did not see any self-leveling mechanism on the headlamps. Then dealer also told me that they have shorted something out to do a test and the AHC worked well. I am not sure what the guy was talking about; however, I am pretty sure he did not know either. Do you think the HID retrofit installation voids the warranty of the vehicle? What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 12-28-06, 02:17 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tella
Jim_Chow, does the 06 LX have the auto-leveling headlights? If yes, then do they level independantly from the body itself. I did not see any self-leveling mechanism on the headlamps. Then dealer also told me that they have shorted something out to do a test and the AHC worked well. I am not sure what the guy was talking about; however, I am pretty sure he did not know either. Do you think the HID retrofit installation voids the warranty of the vehicle? What do you guys think? Thanks
Dealers position is that you modified the vehicle and your modification caused this problem so the repair of this problem per the dealer will not be cover under warranty. Now if a piston blew out the top of your engine it would be impossible for the dealer to claim that the light modification caused this problem so your engine would be covered. Your only recourse is to get an independant expert and take it up the line with Lexus and hope for the best. Your kind of screwed.
Old 12-28-06, 02:31 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no LX470 state side has auto leveling headlights. I dont even think JDM has them. ONLY Lexus vehicles with Factory HID systems have the auto leveling headlights.

Tella, give me the name of the service rep you talked to and the dealerships address, im going to mail them a turd addressed to them. That is some BS they tried to pull on you.

Last edited by 1loudLX; 12-28-06 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 05:12 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
no LX470 state side has auto leveling headlights. I dont even think JDM has them. ONLY Lexus vehicles with Factory HID systems have the auto leveling headlights.

Tella, give me the name of the service rep you talked to and the dealerships address, im going to mail them a turd addressed to them. That is some BS they tried to pull on you.
According to Lexus.com spec on '06 LX470:
Headlamps Automatic on/off projector-beam headlamps with dynamic auto leveling
Old 12-28-06, 07:30 PM
tella
Driver

Thanks for the link, but I could only find the 2007 LX specs mentioning the dynamically leveling headlamps. I am not sure about the 2006 model. Thanks.
P.S. The dealer is still working on my vehicle without finding any solution so far. It has been three days ...
Just checked, the 06 LX does not dynamically changing headlights.

Last edited by tella; 12-28-06 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 07:43 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but on the other part of the site they mention nothing of that. Why would lexus implement an expensive feature on a dying vehicle that doesnt even have HID's?

Auto leveling headlights were only created to try and minimize people being blinded by HID Xenon headlight systems. That is why most HID kits we install are not legal in the united states. When we put the HID bulbs in our headlights dont have auto-leveling, a feature DOT requires on HID headlight systems.

Im going to go to the lexus dealership tomorrow and look a a 06/07 LX to figure all this out.

Also: The website on the model lib for past vehicles says the 06 has the auto leveling too. I am honestly going to have to say im surprised by Toyota/Lexus if they actually put the auto leveling system on the halogen headlights. I just dont see the need or cost effectiveness.

Last edited by 1loudLX; 12-28-06 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 08:53 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never heard of the auto-leveling headlamps on the LX's. Are there any other wires going into the lamps other than those for the high and low beam bulbs? If they're auto-leveling, i'd think there should be some kind of motor, like the entire low beam unit is on a gimble. Going back to my original post, why would one put auto-leveling lamps on a LX when the vehicle automatically levels for any load, unless that's what lexus means by "autoleveling." My feeling is the SM is BSing you. I would remove the HID kit and test if the AHC works. If it doesn't, you know they are BS.

I hate dealers that are mod unfriendly. The SM's just don't understand the basics, like how a bumper is attached to the vehicle. I would go to another dealer. Speaking of dealers, I had a local "award-winning" Toyota dealer do some of the 60K service work on my LX yesterday (brought it in for a ATF change, but also ended up having them do the front wheel bearing repack since they charged way less than Lexus and I could use the parts I bought on the web!)...I lucked out in that the tech used to be a lexus tech, very familiar w/ the LX, and the prices were way less than what the lexus dealer wanted (saved $220 on the two jobs), plus I still got a free car wash and danishes, just no loaner.
Old 12-29-06, 08:26 AM
tella
Driver

Yep, Lexus.com claims that the 06 LX has the dynamic auto-leveling headlight system. It must be something out of ordinary, since there is no motor (nor any wire approaching the headlamp housing besides the two to power up the halogen bulb) and the bezel / shroud assembly is very static.
I think I will take the truck to another dealership, since this one is working on the vehicle for three days now without any results.
Old 12-29-06, 10:27 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Please keep us up to date on this. I think that the SM is full of ******. But would you be willing to remove the HID kit? And test the truck or try another dealer.
Old 12-29-06, 11:42 AM
tella
Driver

At this time, I am not ready to remove the HID kit. Moreover, I am interested to see if there is a possibility to obtain an OEM HID LX headlamp kit. I have seen these offered on LXs sold in Dubai.
P.S. I will keep you posted on my AHC saga.

Quick Reply: 06'LX: Active suspension problem