LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 03:48 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims

i was thinking about changing rims on my Lx470 cause my current
(16"Factory chrome rims)are peeling off

And I was thinking something like a 20" or 22"
to replace them with

What kind of rims do you others have?

Last edited by LXotic; 08-21-07 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 08:49 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

putting larger wheels on will slow your acceleration/deceleration(braking) and put a much harsher ride on the suspension and the vehicle as a whole. With teh reduced sidewall in the tire there is alot less tire to absorb road bumps which puts a much larger strain on your suspension system. The added weight of the actual wheel is what causes your performance to deminish. However with larger wheels and a smaller sidewall...you get better handling.

No you dont have to replace your rotors unless they are warped or are under the minimum thinkness.
Old 10-24-06, 09:09 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

I dont think you have to replace your brakes unless you went with like 24 and ^ (even then I see stock brakes), you never have to, but if you have 26's with regular rotors and calipers, its like trying to stop a train. but if you upgraded to bigger rotors and calipers you will surely, like with any wheels, increase your braking response, which is highly recommended with bigger wheels.

I do not know about the LX and how good it brakes are, but with some trucks you see that not only does it slow down your acceleration a little, but your braking will be less responsive (this is why some people upgrade their brakes when upgrading/upsizing their wheels) But with 22's I think you will be ok.
Old 10-24-06, 09:26 PM
playboi
Driver School Candidate

i've seen seq's and lx's on 20's and 22's

imo the 22's fill in very nicely.
Old 10-25-06, 12:40 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

i spoke to a man with 22" wheels on his LX and he told me what i posted above....slower acceleration increased braking distance(thats bad) and a much harsher ride.

this is the guy i spoke to. He was from florida and said its ok down there on those smooth as silk roads but up here in NY he hates driving it.
Note my 16" wheels on the left and his 22" on the right.
Old 10-25-06, 08:11 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Although the '03+ have the 18" wheels, according to the 100 series history & changes in LC mag, the front calipers changed in '03. I believe the pads are the same as the '02, but larger pistons. Maybe this was to compensate for the 18" wheels? Hoser on ih8mud mentioned that the P/N is different for the '03 calipers.
Old 10-25-06, 10:38 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Although the '03+ have the 18" wheels, according to the 100 series history & changes in LC mag, the front calipers changed in '03. I believe the pads are the same as the '02, but larger pistons. Maybe this was to compensate for the 18" wheels? Hoser on ih8mud mentioned that the P/N is different for the '03 calipers.
Jim, have you gone to the Lexus chrome wheels? Lexus-Parts.com charges $419 + $150 core charge on each 18" chrome wheel exchange. Do you think this is a good deal? I love the 17" Lexus chrome wheels that are on my GS430, but want to make sure that on the LX it won't make it look too ghetto.
Old 10-25-06, 12:12 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by Jayson
Jim, have you gone to the Lexus chrome wheels? Lexus-Parts.com charges $419 + $150 core charge on each 18" chrome wheel exchange. Do you think this is a good deal? I love the 17" Lexus chrome wheels that are on my GS430, but want to make sure that on the LX it won't make it look too ghetto.
Yes, I have the factory chromed 18" wheels. When I bought the vehicle, I didn't care for chromed wheels, but it already came with the wheels, and they do look pretty classy, yet not blingy. You can click on the front bumper pics I posted a while back and see what they look like. My spare isn't chromed, so I'll probably have it chromed so I can do a 5-tire rotation.

I think $419 is pricey for chroming one wheel. BTW, salesman said the factory chromes are a $1900 option on the LX! I'm sure lexus-parts.com (in Texas) just sends the wheel to a plating shop. You should be able to get each wheel done for ~$150 if you go to the plating shop yourself.
Old 10-25-06, 04:18 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

Yeah, $120 is what I pay to chrome wheels when I need to.
Old 10-25-06, 07:42 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Yes, I have the factory chromed 18" wheels. When I bought the vehicle, I didn't care for chromed wheels, but it already came with the wheels, and they do look pretty classy, yet not blingy. You can click on the front bumper pics I posted a while back and see what they look like. My spare isn't chromed, so I'll probably have it chromed so I can do a 5-tire rotation.

I think $419 is pricey for chroming one wheel. BTW, salesman said the factory chromes are a $1900 option on the LX! I'm sure lexus-parts.com (in Texas) just sends the wheel to a plating shop. You should be able to get each wheel done for ~$150 if you go to the plating shop yourself.
My service writer here at Lexus of Austin and my old service writer who moved to Northside Lexus told me that the best chrome wheels to get are the ones that come from the Lexus factory. Apparently those wheels have the thickest chrome plating on them and do not pit like most cheaper chrome wheels. I've tried finding the wheels like that on eBay and Craigslist, but it's all aftermarket chrome plating. I may resort to that if I don't find the Lexus OEM chromes by Christmas.

Hmmm...I'm going to shoot the guys over at Lexus-Parts.com an email to clarify the pricing. I thought it was $419 total + $150 core charge for each wheel. There's no way in hell I'm paying $1600 for chrome wheels if that's not the case. I'll let you all know what they tell me.

Last edited by Jayson; 10-25-06 at 07:45 PM. Reason: I can't spell tonight
Old 10-25-06, 09:47 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

If they are, indeed, OEM chromed wheels (ie, chromed in japan), I bet they are $419 each. Mine were $1900/set ($475 each) when the car was new, so that price sounds in line. Luckily, the original owner took the depreciation hit, as the KBB only gives $400 extra trade-in for the chromes (and that's what I factored in when closing the deal). How do you know if the wheel is original factory or aftermarket chromed when the wheel is new? It's only age/elements that separates a junky chroming job from a quality job.
Old 10-25-06, 09:59 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

i want a new set of wheels too! but i want 16"-18" with an agressive offset.

I mean, look at my offset i have now compared to stock.
Old 10-27-06, 08:41 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

so do something about it. Call up some places, get on google and start searching.
Old 11-15-06, 04:14 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to bring back an old thread but what are the measure of the stock rims?
Also what do you guys think about 22'MOMO storms like these?
Attached Thumbnails Rims-9f_1.jpg  
Old 11-15-06, 04:33 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Honestly, if you do some searching and stop posting on club lexus every two seconds you could find a wealth of information instead of constantly asking people to find it for you.

Quick Reply: Rims