LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

lx470 or buick enclave, sequoia or mb gl450?...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:16 AM
rleggs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lx470 or buick enclave, sequoia or mb gl450?...

deciding between the four?..anyone care to voice opinion as to which i should go for?..i need a good reliable suv, comfort, comfortable 3rd row seats for adults, good mpg..etc..

thanks
Old 09-05-06, 07:18 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Buy the Lexus. Are you kidding? I mean, this is ClubLexus.com . Maybe I'm partial, but check out the reports on satisfaction. I'm happy as a pig in poo.
Old 09-05-06, 08:53 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osomoso
Buy the Lexus. Are you kidding? I mean, this is ClubLexus.com . Maybe I'm partial, but check out the reports on satisfaction. I'm happy as a pig in poo.

haha yea what he said ... I love our LX
Old 09-05-06, 10:34 PM
rleggs
Rookie

Question thanks guys..but

is the lx470 as comfortable as the mb gl450?..heard from some people that rear comfort, third row, is pretty tight for adults in the lexus than in the mb gl450?..thoughts?..and the mb diesel version, 320 cdi will have 18/28-30 mpg..?...i really like lexus, but what do you guys think of this?...there is the question of reliability with the mb?...a friend saw the buick enclave at the chi town auto show..said it was "surprisingly exquisite", as far as the interior?..and epa of 18/25?...and costing around 30-40k..?...that' s not bad?...
Old 09-05-06, 11:45 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

is the lx470 as comfortable as the mb gl450?
Hahahahahaahahahahahahha
Wait.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I just had to.
The LX470 is in a class of its own compared to the MB GL450. At least the LX will start up every day!
Old 09-06-06, 12:30 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rleggs
deciding between the four?..anyone care to voice opinion as to which i should go for?..i need a good reliable suv, comfort, comfortable 3rd row seats for adults, good mpg..etc..

thanks
I really do think that the Buick is out of equation becuase who knows how long it will take to come out and it will be a brand new product from GM which would worry me.

I think this comparison should be the LX470 and the GL450.

While I have driven a LX470, I will tell you that it is one of the oldest design on the market right now. It gets 13mpg city and 17mpg hwy. That is pathetic. It is missing a variety of options such as dual front climate control, mp3 audio, a rear lift gate (the Lx470 has a clamshell design). TheLX470 starts at $68k.

some good things about the Lx470 are refinement, attention to details and great reliability.

For the GL450, starting price is almost $13k less than the LX470. You get an independent rear susension, uni body design, 7 speed transmission, over 100 more horses under the hood, more torque, great 0-60mph times, 7500lb towing capacity which is 1000lbs more than the LX470, many, many more interior features than the LX470.

Cons of the GL450 are that it is a new vehicle brought to the market, no powertrain warranty, pathetic 14mpg/18mpg fuel economy.

I think the GL450 is the clear winner. If you drive a LX470, you will be driving a desin that is almost 9 years old. The GL450 can be repaired many time for $13k which off sets the price of the LX.

Good luck, but I would go with GL450
Old 09-06-06, 12:34 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

What is your time worth to you?
Trust me, it'll be invaluable compared to the incompetence of many Mercedes dealers.
Old 09-06-06, 02:37 AM
aedgington
Lead Lap

The Buick. Definitely the Buick.
Old 09-06-06, 06:37 AM
rleggs
Rookie

Exclamation ok..but

first off, the buick enclave will be out next spring/summer, that is fact...it rides on a 119in wheelbase, couple of inches shorter than the mbgl450...estimated epa of 18/25, room for 6 or 7 or 8 pending on bench seat...buick does very well on j.d's reliability surveys.pricing is said to be around 30-40k....pending options/warranty, i will look seriously at the buick...

the mb gl450.....yes your right with the comparisons to the lx470...but i heard the diesel version will get around 18/25-30?...that's pretty good if true..its third row seat is one of the most comfortable for adults from what i heard, two 6 footers can sit comfortablly back there...regarding reliability...isn't true that mb's reliability has improved...doing well on reliability surveys?..didn't know about the powertrain warranty...are you sure?...

the lx470...anyone know if lexus is going to replace it with a redesign?..discontinue it?...make it bigger?..hybrid drivetrain?...it is getting old in appearance/options...i hope lexus does something to revamp it...like you said can't beat lexus with refinement/quality...dependability..but in order to compete, esp . with gas prices right now, lexus should do something to revamp the lx...?

the sequoia....it is bigger than the lx...costs less....not sure on epa...
Old 09-06-06, 02:20 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by pagemaster
some good things about the Lx470 are refinement, attention to details and great reliability

For the GL450, starting price is almost $13k less than the LX470. You get an independent rear susension, uni body design, 7 speed transmission, over 100 more horses under the hood, more torque, great 0-60mph times, 7500lb towing capacity which is 1000lbs more than the LX470, many, many more interior features than the LX470.

Cons of the GL450 are that it is a new vehicle brought to the market, no powertrain warranty, pathetic 14mpg/18mpg fuel economy.
Unibody design doesn't mean its any better than body on frame. Body on frame is stronger. That's why most real pickup trucks and SUV's are body on frame. These are vehicles that can actually tow safely. The new GL450 is built in the Alabama plant which has been known for poor quality and workmanship. Where is the more than 100 horsepower difference? The LX has around 270 hp, the GL I believe is 335. So 65 hp at best. I agree, the LX is kind of dated. But the GL is risky since its a first year vehicle. For M-B, you have to allow them 2-3 years to get the bugs out of the vehicle.
Old 09-06-06, 05:15 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BobsGX
The LX has around 270 hp, the GL I believe is 335. So 65 hp at best. I agree, the LX is kind of dated. But the GL is risky since its a first year vehicle. For M-B, you have to allow them 2-3 years to get the bugs out of the vehicle.

I forgot the LX now has 275 hp. I was still thinking it had the 235hp.

Unibody design doesn't mean its any better than body on frame. Body on frame is stronger. That's why most real pickup trucks and SUV's are body on frame. These are vehicles that can actually tow safely. The new GL450 is built in the Alabama plant which has been known for poor quality and workmanship. Where is the more than 100 horsepower difference?
THe next JX470 or LX470 will be going to a unibody design. My point is that the unibody will handle better, should ride nicer, perhaps be safer and in this case tow about 1000lbs more than the body on frame design of the LX.

Having it be a unibody design will also likely give more space in the third row seat.
Old 09-06-06, 10:18 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aedgington
The Buick. Definitely the Buick.
LOL,

I have both the GL450 and a 1999 LX470.

We use the GL for street driving while the LX is used heavily for off-road use.

But the GL is a quick car!

Hopefull the Land Cruiser won't be unitbody, unit body construction is not has reliable.

Toyota was going to make the current LX and Land Criser unitbody but said " It Sucks for long-term use."
Old 09-07-06, 10:01 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

For a ON-ROAD SUV, unibody is better in almost every way over BOF. Unibody, in general, is more rigid, get better crash test scores, lower to the ground for ease of loading and ingress, and lighter for better fuel economy.

So far, i have not read any major problems with GL. You do get free lifetime roadside assistance when you buy a MB vehicle. MB is slowly climbing up on reliability surveys. But, obviously, MB still has a lot of catching up on Lexus/Toyota in terms of reliability. For this reason, you should get extended warranty if you get MB.

For me, i would pick LX470 over GL anyday of the week because i do take my SUV off the beaten path. However, if i was to stay on the road 99% of the time, then it would be a harder decision.

Last edited by tigmd99; 09-07-06 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 04:38 PM
aedgington
Lead Lap

First, I guess I'd like to say that I've never met an LX owner who said they felt like they lacked horsepower. Which isnt to say the GL isn't a spry SUV, but by no means is the LX lacking.

Secondly, why are we comparing the GL to the LX? The GL's equivalent is the GX, where the price points and paper horsepower arguments lose a lot of weight. If you want to compare the LX to an MB product, it's the G.

Third and finally, whether off-road or mall-cruising, reliability is my #1 concern. I don't want to be broken down, a/c not working, one tail light blinking for no reason off road and I sure as hell don't want to be in that scenario on the freeway w/ my family. Roadside assistance can kiss my a$$, waiting 20 minutes for a tow truck with your wife giving you her opinion on your vehicle can seem like a lifetime.

That being said, yes, I'd love to see climate zones, cooled seats, Ipod-friendly jacks, xenons, manual height control, power folding seats, and a few other comforts I can't think of right now... BUT... I still love my LX.

P.S. Anyone who cries about mpg & gas prices on a $50K+ vehicle is ghetto rich. Period.

P.P.S. I love my tailgate. I hope the clamshell stays.
Old 09-07-06, 05:35 PM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aedgington
First, I guess I'd like to say that I've never met an LX owner who said they felt like they lacked horsepower. Which isnt to say the GL isn't a spry SUV, but by no means is the LX lacking.

Secondly, why are we comparing the GL to the LX? The GL's equivalent is the GX, where the price points and paper horsepower arguments lose a lot of weight. If you want to compare the LX to an MB product, it's the G.

Third and finally, whether off-road or mall-cruising, reliability is my #1 concern. I don't want to be broken down, a/c not working, one tail light blinking for no reason off road and I sure as hell don't want to be in that scenario on the freeway w/ my family. Roadside assistance can kiss my a$$, waiting 20 minutes for a tow truck with your wife giving you her opinion on your vehicle can seem like a lifetime.

That being said, yes, I'd love to see climate zones, cooled seats, Ipod-friendly jacks, xenons, manual height control, power folding seats, and a few other comforts I can't think of right now... BUT... I still love my LX.

P.S. Anyone who cries about mpg & gas prices on a $50K+ vehicle is ghetto rich. Period.

P.P.S. I love my tailgate. I hope the clamshell stays.
What he said.

Quick Reply: lx470 or buick enclave, sequoia or mb gl450?...