LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

New HID Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 03:54 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
Here are some photos of my new HID kit. [/IMG]
In your garage pic, there are 3 "spot lights" on the garage above your main beam pattern. It is because there are holes in the cutoff shield behind the projector. You may want to cover those holes up to reduce glare to other drivers. Just a thought. I'm not sure what they are for but am guessing they are for aligning the headlamps.
Old 05-02-06, 03:58 PM
Hoser
Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Okay, thanks, guys! I just ordered the kit from xenondepot. There's a club lexus discount through Apr 30 (go to xenondepot/promo and use passcode CLGB06), so it's $355. I'm convinced now that I read the bulbs were rebased. That's necessary since the reflector is designed for a halogen bulb, whose filament is located in a different location than the HID arc. So one has to either do one of two things...either shim the bulb so the HID light arc to coincide with the focal point of the halogen reflector, or use a HID reflector. I'm convinced that the xenondepot kit is doing the former, so this avoid cheapie HID conversions where the bulb and reflector don't match, thus spraying light all over the place and blinding oncoming drivers.
Jim, I completed my HID retrofit about a month ago but didn't post because I went on vacation. I just need to finish aligning it and I'll post a how-to thread. I feel it is the better way to do it but does require more work including opening up your headlamps, cutting and drilling. For those who don't want to modify their headlamps, the xenondepot kit looks like it works well enough. The total cost was about $500 including tax and shipping.

Last edited by Hoser; 05-02-06 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 05:37 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

nobody seems to be bothered by the spots. theres actually 4 of them(2 on each side). Someone else on this forum covered them up but i dont want to, they help to light up street signs on the side of the roadway.
Old 05-03-06, 01:44 PM
tella
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the low beam bulb size is in the 2006 LX470? The manual says 9006 size; however, people are talking about H1. Thus, which one is it? Thanks
Old 05-03-06, 02:02 PM
Hoser
Driver

Originally Posted by tella
What is the low beam bulb size is in the 2006 LX470? The manual says 9006 size; however, people are talking about H1. Thus, which one is it? Thanks
Take it out and see if it looks like this.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/h...SC04059340.jpg

If so, it is an H1 bulb. The Sylvania guide says '05-'06 LX's use the 9006 bulb. That would be interesting if it did since most 9006 bulbs are rated at 1000 lumens vs 1400 for the H1's.
Old 05-03-06, 03:01 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

the Newer LX's also are running with a plastic headlight housing. I doubt they changed the whole projector setup tho. On the 00 i know the bulbs are H1 Low, 9005 High and H3 fog.
Old 05-03-06, 07:00 PM
tella
Driver

Yes, the bulb looks like one in the picture, which depict an H1 style. Is the manual wrong? Strange. Who knows what is a better HID conversion kit. And as far as I can see I would need to punch a hole on the back of the cover to feed the wires. Thanks
Old 05-03-06, 07:39 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My 03 owners manual says bulb no. 9006 type B for low, 9005 type A for high. If you turn to the next page, it says type A =HB3, type B=H1. The headlight outer lens appears to be make of (or coated with) some kind of polycarbonate rather than bare glass.
Old 05-03-06, 07:44 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoser
Jim, I completed my HID retrofit about a month ago but didn't post because I went on vacation. I just need to finish aligning it and I'll post a how-to thread. I feel it is the better way to do it but does require more work including opening up your headlamps, cutting and drilling. For those who don't want to modify their headlamps, the xenondepot kit looks like it works well enough. The total cost was about $500 including tax and shipping.
If one has which has reflector lamps like on the LC, there's no choice but to retrofit projectors; I don't think HID bulbs will work well using conventional reflectors, nor have I ever seen an OEM HID setup that uses reflectors. Even the stock halogen Lx lamps seen to have a sharp cutoff, while the reflectors on my honda seem to have a softer fade at the top of the lighting pattern. Perhaps this would cause HID lamps or even high wattage halogen bulbs to spray light all over.
Old 05-03-06, 09:54 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
My 03 owners manual says bulb no. 9006 type B for low, 9005 type A for high. If you turn to the next page, it says type A =HB3, type B=H1. The headlight outer lens appears to be make of (or coated with) some kind of polycarbonate rather than bare glass.
As you can see from my sig file, I changed out the LOWS (H1), HIGHS (H3) and FOGS (9005) on mine. Hope it helps...
Old 05-04-06, 02:17 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Jim, Does a 2nd gen GS sound familiar? They have reflectors for the HID and acura used to use it. I even think the older benz' had reflector HIDs.
Old 05-04-06, 07:18 AM
tella
Driver

Was anyone successful finding a set of the dust covers with the harness? So far, I could only find a complete set of the headlamps. I think it is a good back up plan, in case, someone would want to go back to the helogens. Anyone? Thanks
Old 05-04-06, 03:32 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Default Part Number

since nobody is capable of doing this themselves......................

Part Number: 81125-6A080 Order two of them if you guys are reallly THAT Concerned with this hole drilling and stuff. I had to go alllll the way downstairs and look on my door to my garage where i have all the stickers of parts ive replaced....god you guys are killing me!

It replaces the light gray circular dust cap in the picture below and will replace any of the wires you guys might cut during the installation. if you guys screw up and cut the wrong wires its not my fault!

Old 05-04-06, 06:39 PM
tella
Driver

Thanks for the help. Any idea where I can find these parts. Anyones's help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-04-06, 07:22 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

...dealership

they should be able to get it for you next day if they dont have it in stock.

Quick Reply: New HID Kit Installed