LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

is wheel bearing repack nec???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 07:09 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is wheel bearing repack nec???

I posted this question...with other 90k c/u questions and it is being avoided like the plague for some reason. SO... I am going to ask this question alone. Has anyone avoided the wheel bearing repack and been OK? I hear it is a messy job and takes a lot of time (aka $ in labor) so I was wondering how important it really is? If you have avoided it, and have had any repercussions (good or bad) how about letting me know? And/or if you have any knowlege at all about this service, I would appreciate your input as I am at that point.
Thanks for your time..
Old 11-29-05, 05:55 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

If you do nothing else.....get the wheel bearings repacked! Also, have this done by a top notch mechanic....take it right to Lexus. Period.

Your timing belt can wait....

The other stuff can wait....

The wheel bearings cannot.
Old 11-29-05, 10:08 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
If you do nothing else.....get the wheel bearings repacked! Also, have this done by a top notch mechanic....take it right to Lexus. Period.

Your timing belt can wait....

The other stuff can wait....

The wheel bearings cannot.

When I took my LC in for it's 30K mile maintenance, the manual called for the repack. The dealer actually told me to hold off until the front brakes needed to be done. Apparently the bearings are repacked at that time and he felt that there was no need for me to pay for that service twice in a short amount of time.

When do you think you might tbe due for brake service?

I disagree on the timing belt though, I would NEVER wait on that. The consequences are too high if that belt breaks.
Old 11-30-05, 04:53 AM
idsrvit
Driver

I have owned the car since about 57k miles. To my knowledge, neither has ever been done (timing belt or bearing repack). The wheel repack was "suggested" at the 60 k c/u but after some investigating and questioning to the Lexus dealer, I was told could be put off till the 90k c/u but should not be avoided beyond that. I thought it seemed too easy to talk him out of it, that is why I was questioning it being done in the first place. I have never heard of any other car getting this service done, however, I have never owned another Lexus, nor have I ever had a car beyond 90k miles.

I agree with not putting off the timing belt....I once owned a Nissan 300ZX and blew the timing belt at about 60k. Had to have both ends of the engine rebuilt and the labor cost was ugly!! But, I have read on here numerous Lexus owners putting off that service well beyond 90k. I think the $ it cost to replace it justifies having it done at 90k and will def have that taken care of regardless. If for nothing else, piece of mind.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Old 12-01-05, 07:48 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by idsrvit
I have owned the car since about 57k miles. To my knowledge, neither has ever been done (timing belt or bearing repack). The wheel repack was "suggested" at the 60 k c/u but after some investigating and questioning to the Lexus dealer, I was told could be put off till the 90k c/u but should not be avoided beyond that. I thought it seemed too easy to talk him out of it, that is why I was questioning it being done in the first place. I have never heard of any other car getting this service done, however, I have never owned another Lexus, nor have I ever had a car beyond 90k miles.

I agree with not putting off the timing belt....I once owned a Nissan 300ZX and blew the timing belt at about 60k. Had to have both ends of the engine rebuilt and the labor cost was ugly!! But, I have read on here numerous Lexus owners putting off that service well beyond 90k. I think the $ it cost to replace it justifies having it done at 90k and will def have that taken care of regardless. If for nothing else, piece of mind.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

I can understand everyones fear of causing damage by letting a timing belt go past 90k. Also, if you dont do your work nor understand the physics or makup of the belt itself....its easy to be cornered into the fear.

No problem. My experience comes from first hand experience on no less than a dozen high end Toyotas and Lexus vehicles. If you inspect the timing belt like I outlined above....it can easily go 120k safe and sound. That said, I just finished my TRD supercharger on our 99LX with 86k miles. Took a look at the timing belt....just fine. I will check on it around 100k then replace it along with the water pump, seals and idlers at 120k.

Past experience with timing belts...
92LS with 140k before changing the belt/wp/pulleys/idlers.
92SC4 with 110k and it still has the oe timing belt. I plan to change at 120k.
94LS with 125k before changing the belt/wp/pulleys/idlers.

Each one of the above cars were personally serviced by myself and timing belt inspected at 90k. The belt was still perfect at 120k but that was a good time to change all the items listed.

Lastly, when you repack....change the brakes and replace the front rotors. You will save plenty.
Old 12-02-05, 05:01 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the bearing fails due to lack of lubrication, you'll buy expensive front spindle and drive parts. I grease mine on my land cruiser hubs every 25K, replacing the grease seals and locking rings with each greasing. Now running original (1984) bearings at 280K. Much of this was off-road desert driving in four wheel high and low. Agreed that I have the skill, tools and manuals. Grease is cheaper than parts, but, it's up to you.
Old 12-02-05, 11:19 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Tammy....

I hope I am not sticking my foot into my mouth here by assuming you are a female (Tammy???), if so I apologize. If you are in fact a woman.....that is awesome that you know how to do all of that stuff on your own. Before you think I am a chauvinist.....I am a woman too....and I , (unfortunately), have to rely on the knowledge of this site from people such as yourself to help me keep my Lexus properly maintained.

My sincere thanks to you and those who take the time to respond with their expertise.
Trace
Old 12-03-05, 04:26 AM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

The 30k bearing repack recommendation is conservative, probably from the Land Cruiser side of the family - Land Cruisers are used in extreme off-road & dusty conditions all over the planet, so Toyota is probably figuring such in the 30k recommendation.

As to the impact of waiting until bearings fail to service them: It depends on:

- Severity of failure (and how long the vehicle was run with failed bearings)
- Type of failure(s)

Minor bearing assy failure could require nothing more than a new set of bearings & seals.

Major failure could indeed damage other adjacent components etc.

Personally, I'm going to wait until I do the front brakes to service the bearings. If the bearings start failing before then, I'll hear it and/or feel it, and in that case, it'll be minor failure = bearings * seals only replacement (not a big deal).

As to total vehicle life service costs with either (a) frequent bearings service or (b) wait until brake job or bearing failure to service bearings: My time comes at a huge premium, and the cost of new bearings every 100k or so miles is cheaper than the cumulative hours to service them every 30k or 60k miles, plus seals etc. (Yes - I do my own work; and yes - my front brakes will last longer than 100k...they're at 88k right now, and look like they'll go another 50k at least.)

Chiming in on the timing belt: Now, that one should be changed at the 90k interval! You are REALLY gambling some $ by stretching timing belt change intervals to longer than OEM recommendation. How much is a new engine? For the LX, I'd bet it is more than around $8k. (And knowing what I know about rebuilt engines, including firsthand experience, I will not put a rebuilt engine into the LX. Even a rebuilt one will cost several thousand, in any case.) The destroyed engine scenario also includes huge costs in lost vehicle usage time and collateral damage & secondary problems caused by the repair process itself (ever watched an engine R&R ?).

Visual inspection alone may not be sufficient to discern impending failure of a timing belt, because the strength of the belt comes from internal reinforcement, not external rubber, and that reinforcement may be weakened from service yet look ok at the edge of the belt, visually.

Good luck with that one. (I'll change my timing belt at 90k, thank you.)

Last edited by Bobhgd; 12-03-05 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-03-05, 08:39 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by idsrvit
Tammy....

I hope I am not sticking my foot into my mouth here by assuming you are a female (Tammy???), if so I apologize. If you are in fact a woman.....that is awesome that you know how to do all of that stuff on your own. Before you think I am a chauvinist.....I am a woman too....and I , (unfortunately), have to rely on the knowledge of this site from people such as yourself to help me keep my Lexus properly maintained.

My sincere thanks to you and those who take the time to respond with their expertise.
Trace
Truth be told, I'm a 55 year old male ...
Old 12-03-05, 10:41 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Oops...(choking on foot). Sorry about the assumption...I should have listened to my 6 grade teacher..who said "never assume...when you do, you make an *** out of U and ME" My sincere apologies. Regardless, I am still impressed at your knowledge and very thankful for your willingness to share it with folks like myself who are mechanically challenged. (and whose husbands are too stubborn to admit it. shhhhhhhh)
Old 12-15-05, 04:02 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

On my 99 LC I had a loud clicking sound at around 103k. I believe that this was due to a failure to repack the wheel bearings. I bought the car with 96k and I don't know when or if the bearings were ever repacked. Nothing turned out to be broken since I took the car in right away. All they needed to do was repack the wheel bearings to fix the clicking.

Last edited by RPH74; 12-15-05 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 07:55 AM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

repack, repack, repack, repack, repack, repack.

I think you've gotten the hint my now

Of all the things to skip, this would not be a good one to pass on...
Old 12-16-05, 03:46 PM
SWUtah
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 99 LC with 58K miles, it was an Arizona LC. IAfter the purchase I changed all belts and hoses includiing the timing belt (wasn't past the mileage limit on the change but it was the years) also changed the water pump, seals and tensioners and antifreeze. Changed all fluids in the drivetrain to synthetic and serviced the transmission. Repacked the wheel bearing. Based on this work it was determined that the LC had been taken care off and serviced regularly. The water pump was starting to seep antifreeze and the timing belt would not of made it to 90K miles, the serpentine belt was also failing (cracking pretty bad). I'm sure that much of the deterioration was caused by the heat it experienced in southern AZ. The wheel bearing were in great shape and I think you could go 60K miles if you only drive your LX/LC on improved roads, I think if you off road or drive on unimproved roads, I would do it every 30K miles. I would not wait on the timing belt, time and miles are both factors and also the enviroment in which you operate your LX/LC is a contributing factor that impacts how long these items will last.
Old 06-07-10, 02:00 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

As a data point.

My LX470 now has 130k on the OE timing belt and water pump. And my LX has the TRD supercharger on it.

There I had to report.

I will be changing it later this week.

Enjoy

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
I can understand everyones fear of causing damage by letting a timing belt go past 90k. Also, if you dont do your work nor understand the physics or makup of the belt itself....its easy to be cornered into the fear.

No problem. My experience comes from first hand experience on no less than a dozen high end Toyotas and Lexus vehicles. If you inspect the timing belt like I outlined above....it can easily go 120k safe and sound. That said, I just finished my TRD supercharger on our 99LX with 86k miles. Took a look at the timing belt....just fine. I will check on it around 100k then replace it along with the water pump, seals and idlers at 120k.

Each one of the above cars were personally serviced by myself and timing belt inspected at 90k. The belt was still perfect at 120k but that was a good time to change all the items listed.

Lastly, when you repack....change the brakes and replace the front rotors. You will save plenty.
Old 12-28-11, 11:20 PM
Packy
Driver School Candidate

Default What size is your supercharger belt? Just got a s/c for my 99 LX & have no info.

[QIUOTE=ToyLexmods;1607619]I can understand everyones fear of causing damage by letting a timing belt go past 90k. Also, if you dont do your work nor understand the physics or makup of the belt itself....its easy to be cornered into the fear.

Lastly, when you repack....change the brakes and replace the front rotors. You will save plenty.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: is wheel bearing repack nec???