LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Looking to purchase LX450 or Land Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 06:01 AM
agc
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase LX450 or Land Cruiser

Hey guys,

I am a frequent poster on the LS forum (I have a 2000 LS400) and have been thinking about getting a used LX450. I am looking specifically for a 96-97 model (due to budget). Can you tell me how much a 96-97 model with under 80k miles going to cost me.

Now for the basic question, how reliable are these trucks, I hear the Land Cruisers are very reliable is this true for the LX450 also. What should I look out for when buying one, problem areas, most likely to break and lastly how do they ride (drive)

Thanks all for your help
Old 09-23-05, 04:26 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ....

You shouldn't pay any more than 14k for a 97 LX450 with around 80k, many people are desperate to get rid of these super gas guzzlers and most buyers now little or nothing about their prowess other than that there are newer models that look better.

The vehicle itself is beyond reliable, if it is maintained even at a minimum level the major components are virtually unstoppable.

You want to check if the tires have been replaced, hopefully with the OEM Michellen LTX's, best tires for an SUV in my opinion, but very very pricey. Little things seem to be problems, such as paint easily scarred in various ways, the power antenna going out, interior LED lights not functioning such as on the radio, the interior carpeting also seems to be weak for an SUV mainly because it is suited for a luxury sedan, small rust spots around moldings and emblems due to not having a clear coat on the black models. The paint on the wheel center caps corrode like clockwork no matter how many times the dealer replaces them. All these things are very easily repairable and are really cosmetic or just frivilous entirely.

The two larger items I would check for is the AC working properly, it seems that the evaporator craps out if it isn't used regularly, or so was explained by my mechanic. The 4x4 system is very sophisticated and more capable than any other civillian vehicle, it is important that it is operating properly, not that it is a problem area but it is a critical issue as the car is FULL TIME four wheel drive, not to be mistaken with most domestic poser SUVs with that claim but it is truly just AWD, the LX450 and FJ80 are ALWAYS in 4x4. But MOST important is the "CLUNK". It is something very common and I have failed to find any cases of it being detrimental towards the vehicle itself YET, key word being yet. When the car is first put into gear or taking off from a standstill there is a noise best described as a clunk. The vast majority of owners have this issue and it's been a crapshoot so far trying to ascertain the problem, some have fixed it easily and others have had no such luck despite many attempts. Hell, you might be able to use it as a bargaining chip to drive the price down.

The way it drives.......well....if your looking for a car that is ridiculously safe and comfortable physically your making the right choice. If your looking for a car you actually enjoy driving you need to look elsewhere. The full time 4x4 makes navigating the beast a daunting task, not that it is beyond tolerance, it is a tank of an SUV afterall, even Lexus isn't god.

To put it mildly, it is a luxury SUV for a MAN.

These are all just from my personal expierences and extensive research, if your looking for more try www.ih8mud.com.

Hope I have been helpful, good luck!
Old 09-23-05, 06:52 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by agc
Hey guys,

I am a frequent poster on the LS forum (I have a 2000 LS400) and have been thinking about getting a used LX450. I am looking specifically for a 96-97 model (due to budget). Can you tell me how much a 96-97 model with under 80k miles going to cost me.

Now for the basic question, how reliable are these trucks, I hear the Land Cruisers are very reliable is this true for the LX450 also. What should I look out for when buying one, problem areas, most likely to break and lastly how do they ride (drive)

Thanks all for your help
truck drives like a dog.

other than that ive seen plenty of high sensors go bad
struts/shocks

if it air ride the terminals on top of the air strut rots

as for maintence
every 20-25k needs brakes
brake job cost about 450 (most other lexus is about 300)

other than that its a tank
Old 09-24-05, 03:49 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ...

Hey Koolaid...

What exactly do you mean by the "high sensor"?

I've heard of many people changing the shocks and struts trying to rid the "floaty" ride or for off-road purposes, have you encountered it as a problem area?
Old 09-24-05, 06:27 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Francis K
Hey Koolaid...

What exactly do you mean by the "high sensor"?

I've heard of many people changing the shocks and struts trying to rid the "floaty" ride or for off-road purposes, have you encountered it as a problem area?
grr ment height sensor

as for ur questions nope unless it has air ride
Old 09-24-05, 07:54 PM
agc
Pit Crew

Thanks guys, I am still looking for a nice 96 or 97, but can't seem to find one for under $14k with less than 80k

Francis K
I see in your sig you have a 91 348TS, I used to have a 93 348 Series Speciale (38/100) and it was a great car, also used to have a 91 Testarossa. How long have you owned yours.
Old 09-25-05, 03:45 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the LX 450 does not have height sensors, nor air ride.

brake pads on the 450 cost a total of $40 per axle. replacing the pads is a simple 30 minute job per axle with common tools.

at a dealership it'll run around $200 for a brake job on a LX 450.

koolaid -- are you sure you're talking about the 450 and not the 470?
Old 09-26-05, 11:34 AM
agc
Pit Crew

Thanks guys,

I was leaning towards the Sub because I hear that sheetrock or plywood would fit just fine. As for the LX I hear that the ride is much better. What my concern is that this vehicle would not get used often, only during bad weather and here in NY/NJ I feel better with my wife driving a bigger SUV, especially since she commutes with my two boys daily. Understanding what the cost of fuel is currently, I still feel better if they were in a bigger, safer SUV. Lastly my budget is realy about $11k-$12k (tops), therefore a newer Sequia
Old 09-28-05, 08:55 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default ...

Where do you live AGC?
Old 09-29-05, 04:34 AM
agc
Pit Crew

NJ, but work in NYC
Old 10-02-05, 03:14 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ...

New York huh, how bout them Yanks? I still have them and Atlanta in the WS, calling it since april. I was just asking thinking you might be interested in mine but were a bit far off from each other.

So you had a Speciale huh? God that is such a beautiful car, why did you sell it? As much as I hate the fact that I can only drive mine about 30 days out of the year I could never part with it unless it's for a Modena. This is just about the first year I've had mine, picked up by pure luck at a public auction, it was a bank repo. I always wanted one and it just happened to roll up, no way i was going to let some hick looking for a pickup truck outbid me. My father was furious after I spent so much money on such an old car but after I showed him some average prices that they sell for he wasn't so angry. I actually used to own a Testarossa, it was a salvage title my friends father who owned a junkyard used to own. It was the only one I had ever driven so I didn't know if it had problems or what but even something as simple as taking it downtown was close to impossible. I found it ridiculously difficult to drive unless I was going 95 on an open highway. I ended up selling the same summer I bought it.

Anyway....have you decided anything with the LX/FJ, need any more info?
Old 10-12-05, 12:13 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got a 93 Land Cruiser...

which has the same straight six the LX450 has. (just diff. grille, and diff. corner lights & slightly diff. interior)

no one has mentioned that Birfields on this beast need to be serviced.

the solid front and rear axles have these things in the front knuckles that tend to click after years of use... most mechanics are unfamiliar with the process, but if the truck has low miles, it theoretically shouldn't be a problem. (signs of necessary service is namely very audible clicking when the steering is turned lock for lock)

and i will say this...hill climbing in the 450 isn't entirely pleasant in my opinion. maybe it's the weight, maybe the transmission, but it just doesn't like long hillclimbs.

the engine is plenty torquey. 275 lb-ft available at 2400RPM...so it's got a lot of off-the-line grunt.
but it guzzles. and guzzles. with the 25 gallon tank, doing city driving, i'm averaging about 12-14MPG.
the warning light first comes on with 5 gallons left--which gives you roughly 50-60 ish miles (depends on the driving situation i guess) before you're stranded.

i'd really watch for clicking when the steering wheel is fully turned in either direction. the birfield job can be done relatively quickly, but it's uber messy, and for first-timers, a bit confusing and takes much longer than necessary. be sure that the diffs have been regularly checked for their oil and its condition--as well as the transfer case. it uses different grade oils for the transmission, differentials and the transfer case, so make sure they were serviced correctly.