LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Anyone own both a Sequoia and LX470

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 03:33 PM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone own both a Sequoia and LX470

Anyone own both a Sequoia and an LX470?

I am planning to buy a Sequioa becuase it is more roomy and it's going to be used as a daily drives. I really love the LX470 but its design seems much older, and it seems to have less space in the rear. also the Lx does not have a power hatch. The rear seats don't fold as well as in the toyota.

What about quality or reliability differences. (I think both are equally high quality).

Space??
Trunk room?
Winter performance?

(I am never going off road so it does not matter).

I am just having a hard time justifiying the extra $25,000 for the Lx when the Seqoia will do the job. and also, I don't have to worry about the Toyota being door dingged in a parking lot. (I'll cry if someone dings my LX470)

any feedback would be appreciated.
I am in SoCAL sao I'll be at Longo this weekend.

Thanks,
UZY

E-mail: Vipermann1@yahoo.com
Old 09-11-05, 12:19 PM
bsjoiner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comparison in my opinon. The LX is leaps and bounds ahead of the sequoia. I have driven both and I own an LX so my choice is clear. The ride and luxury are incredible in the LX and the styliing in my opinon is much better than the sequoia but the price is considerably higher and you may not think that it is worth it. This is not comparing apples to apples and so it is hard to say one way or the other.
Old 09-11-05, 02:05 PM
LexusIV
Pole Position

I'm going to have to agree with bsjoiner. There is no comparison. The ride and luxury in the lx vs. the sequia is night and day. The lx is much more comfortable and the ability to ajust the ride quility is great. As far as winter performance they both seem to do well as long as the sequia is 4wd. I will say that I have never been able to get my lx to hydroplane on wet roads do to the full-time 4wd. Personally I have never found myself wishing I had a power hatch, and if you think about it either way you will need to have one hand free. Wether it's pushing the button on the key to open the hatch or pulling the lever. I have never had any problems with my lx and love driving it, espcially when the weaters bad and not suitable for my gs or I am driving lots of people. I've had three large guys over 6ft tall in the second seat and they all were very comfortable. The thrid seat is questionable as far as comfort for larger people but will work for short trips or small children. My friend who has owned a sequia for the past 2yrs has had no problems or real complaints with it, but he wants to someday trade up to an lx. For the price though the sequia is a great suv and beats the ford expedition and chevy tahoe by far which is more in line as far as price. Good luck with your descion. Everyone I have talked to that owns an lx loves them but you can't go wrong buying a toyota either.
Old 09-11-05, 02:34 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

If you are worried about spending the extra money then buy a CPO LX. I'm sure you can find a 2003 or 2004 in the same price range as a new sequia with less than 25,000 miles.
Old 09-11-05, 04:13 PM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Default I agree with everyone.

I currently own a 2002 LS430. I needs more room (I can't wait for the LS500). but's that's a different story.

No doubt the LX470 is more high class, and the styling on the LX is top notic. (much better than the Toyota).
But the 3rd seems may be the deal maker for me.

ON the LX, the 3rd seat is at floor level (not much leg room). For kids only.

On the toyota Squoia, the 3rd seat is raised, so there is actual usable let room for "short" or "young adults" adults.

I really need the 3rd row of seats to be usable. So I may need to go with the Toyota, but my hears wants a LX470. ... oh the pain.
Old 09-11-05, 04:40 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's say Lexus came out with a Sequoia-based SUV. How many of you guys would buy that one?
Old 09-11-05, 09:52 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you take a look at the Land Cruiser, granted its the same as the LX but ur paying a lil less and in my opinion its just as good as the lexo. but if your trying to decide between the LX and the Sequoia, hands down the LX is better.

Tommy
Old 09-11-05, 10:22 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

I'm on my second Land Cruiser ('98 & '04) and I would still buy an LC over the Sequoia.

I've driven both and the LC just feels different, fr om both a ride and handling perspective, there is no comparison.

Just drive the two and you'll see.
Old 09-12-05, 06:40 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

I owned a sequoia for two years, and traded it in for the 470. Did so becuase I wanted the refinement and the off road ability that the sequoia could not offer.

No comparison.
Look at the TLC if you are not so sure about the money.

There is a ton more space in the seq and we do miss it at times.
winter driving is better in the lexus
Old 09-12-05, 10:45 AM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Originally Posted by pemarsh
I owned a sequoia for two years, and traded it in for the 470. Did so becuase I wanted the refinement and the off road ability that the sequoia could not offer.

No comparison.
Look at the TLC if you are not so sure about the money.

There is a ton more space in the seq and we do miss it at times.
winter driving is better in the lexus
The prices I have seen on the 06 Toyota LC and the 06 Lexus really haven't been too far off. All of the TLC's I have seen have been loaded which puts the price around 65/66k, which is pretty close to the Lexus LX, assuming you don't add the Night vision. Depending on how much each dealer will deal you may well get a better deal on the Lexus.
Old 09-12-05, 03:27 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
The prices I have seen on the 06 Toyota LC and the 06 Lexus really haven't been too far off. All of the TLC's I have seen have been loaded which puts the price around 65/66k, which is pretty close to the Lexus LX, assuming you don't add the Night vision. Depending on how much each dealer will deal you may well get a better deal on the Lexus.
I was just at the dealer the other day getting an oil change. I saw a loaded '06 LC listing for $63K.

It didn't have the rear seat DVD, but that's not a factory option. Adding that will probably bring it to $65K, but I'm sure they can be had for much less.
Old 09-12-05, 04:22 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
I was just at the dealer the other day getting an oil change. I saw a loaded '06 LC listing for $63K.

It didn't have the rear seat DVD, but that's not a factory option. Adding that will probably bring it to $65K, but I'm sure they can be had for much less.
I would guess you can get a loaded Land Curiser (65k) for around 58-59k. I'm my little bit of looking around I have seen prices of about 2k higher for the LX. I guess it pays to shop around.
Old 09-12-05, 05:27 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AgentWD-40
I would guess you can get a loaded Land Curiser (65k) for around 58-59k. I'm my little bit of looking around I have seen prices of about 2k higher for the LX. I guess it pays to shop around.
To give some perspective.

I negotiated my '04 LC in December of '03. THey didn't even have the car. It is loaded, including the RSE. It stickered for $61K and after quite a bit of negotiations, including walking out of the dealer and having the sales man chase me down in the parking lot, we agreed on a price of $56K.