LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

i need more power

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05, 06:54 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i need more power

I am actually looking to get rid of my 04 lx470, just due to the fact that the power is just too lame. Looking for a substitute is proving to be difficult.

So, does anyone know if there is any way to increase the power of this thing??? Last I heard, there were not. Maybe something has changed????
Old 08-24-05, 08:13 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have got the $$$ I am sure you could find lots of places that will custom FI for you.

Jonny
Old 08-24-05, 08:19 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

if you had a 1998-2002 you could go with a TRD supercharger thats covered by factory warrenty. since you have an 04, wouldnt work. what about intake and exhaust? some common mods that unleash a fair amount of power.
Old 08-25-05, 08:24 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pemarsh
I am actually looking to get rid of my 04 lx470, just due to the fact that the power is just too lame. Looking for a substitute is proving to be difficult.

So, does anyone know if there is any way to increase the power of this thing??? Last I heard, there were not. Maybe something has changed????
Nothing you really can do to change it. If you could get the TRD supercharger that would make a difference, but you can't with your 2004. Exhaust/intake mods are not going to change the character of your LX. Enjoy it for what it is or buy a Porsche SUV with the supercharger. What's that saying, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear?
Old 08-25-05, 10:49 AM
bsjoiner
Driver

You can get the trd supercharger on an 04 i have seen it and inquired about it at the dealership and they will install in under warrenty just like the older trd supercharger. The 06 is a different story and i do not know it it will work because the engine is now vvt-i, but the engine in an 04 is the exact same as in a 98-02.h
Old 08-25-05, 03:42 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bsjoiner
You can get the trd supercharger on an 04 i have seen it and inquired about it at the dealership and they will install in under warrenty just like the older trd supercharger. The 06 is a different story and i do not know it it will work because the engine is now vvt-i, but the engine in an 04 is the exact same as in a 98-02.h
Not what I've heard on other LC sites also on other Toyota sites. If this is true it is a big deal and new information. Who told you this?
Old 08-25-05, 06:03 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

BSJOINER...

where have you gotten this from?? What dealer?? I would be VERY interested hearing this.
My McGrath delaer in Chicago said no.
Please post info!

Thanks!!

Perry
Old 08-25-05, 06:57 PM
venom47
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pemarsh
BSJOINER...

where have you gotten this from?? What dealer?? I would be VERY interested hearing this.
My McGrath delaer in Chicago said no.
Please post info!

Thanks!!

Perry
Fellas, this link has the supercharger for 2003 and 2004 model years...
http://www.brandsport.com/trd-00602-17620-610-pk4.html
Hope that helps.
Old 08-26-05, 05:38 AM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Looked at that thread.

Its on back order---has been for a long time they say.

Also, it is not available from TRD anymore (per their note below).

Also, no pricing is available.

I would be very interested to know which dealer joiner said would do this.
Old 08-26-05, 06:17 AM
bsjoiner
Driver

Dave Mungunast Lexus of St. Louis said that they would do this on an 05 that i was eyeing. I told them that the only complaint about the vehicle was power and the service guy pulled up the part number and said that they would gladly do this for me. I have also seen an 04 with the trd so i know that it can be done.
Old 08-26-05, 08:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

They don't have an application for your LX or my RX yet, but sometime soon I am going to work with them and install a Squires Turbo System. It goes underneath your car where your muffler is. One guy who had a TRD Supercharger later junked it in favor of this.

I am sure places that install turbos could do something similar. No intercooler or turbo timer necessary.

http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 08-26-05, 05:29 PM
Enigma869
Driver

My best advice to anyone looking for power in an SUV is to purchase a Corvette...or the X5 4.4 or ML55 Mercedes. I find the power thing to be a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong...as an owner of an 04 LX (bought it new), it's definitely not fast. That said, it's an enormous SUV that isn't built for speed. It is what it is...an ultra, luxury SUV that gets you where you're going in style, albeit, a bit slowly! Again, please don't misunderstand my post...I agree 100% that the LX is underpowered for a vehicle this large. I'm just of the belief that putting a supercharger in a vehicle like this is absurd. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also of an age (35) where I find those who put body kits on an LX and pimp them out to be clueless as to what an LX really is. Here's hoping the new design brings more horsepower so we can all stop listening to the dopey Lexus salesmen talk about torque!

John from Boston
Old 08-26-05, 07:24 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Enigma869
My best advice to anyone looking for power in an SUV is to purchase a Corvette...or the X5 4.4 or ML55 Mercedes. I find the power thing to be a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong...as an owner of an 04 LX (bought it new), it's definitely not fast. That said, it's an enormous SUV that isn't built for speed. It is what it is...an ultra, luxury SUV that gets you where you're going in style, albeit, a bit slowly! Again, please don't misunderstand my post...I agree 100% that the LX is underpowered for a vehicle this large. I'm just of the belief that putting a supercharger in a vehicle like this is absurd. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also of an age (35) where I find those who put body kits on an LX and pimp them out to be clueless as to what an LX really is. Here's hoping the new design brings more horsepower so we can all stop listening to the dopey Lexus salesmen talk about torque!

John from Boston
Body on Frame 5400 lb safety barrier that has all the latest safety features, super dependable and it is the most luxurious vehicle anyone needs to drive Why go fast enjoy the ride.
Old 08-27-05, 02:25 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default ....

Last i heard SUV's weren't exactly made to be fast, it was just a rumor though.
Old 08-27-05, 09:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I have put that rumor to rest.

Quick Reply: i need more power