LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX470 - Short supply or big seller or dealers limiting purchases ???

Old 04-25-05, 09:54 AM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry LX470 - Short supply or big seller or dealers limiting purchases ???

I was at a Lexus dealership this weekend with a friend who was buying a car.

I asked the sales person to show me which Lx470's they had in stock.
He told me that they are such hot sellers, they only have 2 in stock. (the third one was on hold because it was sold).

In the news, I am hearing that due to high gas prices, sales of big SUV's are slow, such as the Explorer, Expedition, Navigator, Tahoe, Surburban, Yukon, Escalade, etc...

Does the Lx470 sell that well dealers can't keep them in stock??

Or is it because they are made in Japan, they are built in limited numbers??

(Personally I think the dealership does not order too many because they have a hard time unloading them.)

The dealer had plenty of LS430's, GX470, and RX330 in stock.

What do you think????

What's a fair price to pay over invoice on the LX470, being the 06 will have a revised front end, new tailights, and a more powerful engine.??

Thanks,
Old 04-25-05, 07:54 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if the LX is considered a big seller but it's quite popular to see late model 2003-up LXs around Long Island but not like the Escalade, Range Rover, or Navigator. I think it's just that they aren't built in large numbers.
Old 04-26-05, 03:27 PM
lexusnc
Driver

I just purchased a 2005 LX and the dealer had 5 or 6 on the lot and 3 low mile used (<10k). I think there is no question that sales are slow for the LX. They droped their price to 4% above true wholesale cost (Wholesale minus holdback) in no time and I probably could have pressed them more, but I thought it was a fair price. In contrast, when I purchased the GX in 2003 I paid Invoice. Of course it was a new model and there was a wait list, but even now they are selling well. The RX is still the #1 seller. I ended up waiting for two weeks until a new shipment arrived because I wanted the factory RSEC installed, but not many came in for that shipment. Now is a great time to buy an LX!
Old 04-26-05, 05:57 PM
LexFather

The LX is imported in very limited numbers and Lexus sells every last one of them. At the 70k price range, gas considerations are not reallly a problem for people with this wealth.

Caddy in comparison sells over 40k Escalades a year, that is tons.
Old 04-27-05, 10:58 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Has there been any confirmation on a more powerful engine?? Lots of rumors, but no confirmation!! I bought my new 2005 with every available option for $66,700. Hope that helps. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 05-02-05, 03:16 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LX is imported in very limited numbers and Lexus sells every last one of them. At the 70k price range, gas considerations are not reallly a problem for people with this wealth.

Caddy in comparison sells over 40k Escalades a year, that is tons.
I agree. $1.50/gal, $4.50/gal, who cares when you have the targeted demographic income requirement for this vehicle many times over.
Old 05-05-05, 07:57 AM
Milla...

Then too who commutes in an SUV anyway for gas to be an issue, I get alot of people giving lip about gas consumption when ever I drive it to the gas station "You still driving it eh" "thats why I traded mine in" I'm like

I only drive the LX when I need to and thats like on the weekends only if that, a full tank of gas will last me two to three weeks +. High gas prices what high gas prices.
Old 05-05-05, 08:09 AM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Smile

Yes, but I need an SUV. Cost of gas is not a big issue. Its a tax write off for me.
My situation is as follows:

1 - I have 2 kids (2 year old and a 6 month old)

2 - I travel locally for a living installing computer and network equipment. I usually have 2-3 Pc's, 1-2 Monitors, a router, a Cisco switch, tool kit, extra wiring, etc.

3 - We travel around the country at least once a month . So the 4 of us usually have 4-6 suit cases when we go on vacation.

4 - Costco.... need I say more?

But when I look at it logically, I can get a great deal on an Escalade, Hummer, or Navigator. But they are junk.
I have owned 3 Lexus cars, and they have never given me a problem.
So I want a LX470. But dealers are not willing to deal as much as I would like.

Goto a GM dealer or Ford dealer ..they will give you $4000 in rebates, special financing, and then take $5000 off the sticker. And they have soo many vehicles in stock.

Everytime I goto a Lexus dealership, they only have 1-3 LX470's in stock.

So ...going back to my ogiginal post, ....are dealerships limiting purchases (by limiting orders from factory) ?? or are they selling so well dealers can't keep them in stock.

Thanks everyone for their replys and opinions.
Old 05-05-05, 08:49 AM
Milla...

I say its the dealerships limiting the amount they bring in. To me that makes more sense, I mean how many LX's do you see on the street compared to other SUV's in its class its obvious that people of wealth aren't running in droves to Lexus for their SUV fix, the dealers obviously know that hence the low number units on any given lot. To me the science is simple if they sold more each month they would order/ have more.