LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Back-up camera for LX470 2002

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 09:34 AM
hoangpham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back-up camera for LX470 2002

Does anyone know where to buy and how to set-up the back-up camera (like LX470 2004). I would like to have it fit in my LX470 2002. Is that possible to do that as i want to connect the back-up camera to tha Navigation DVD ?
Thanks
Old 01-21-05, 08:38 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoangpham
Does anyone know where to buy and how to set-up the back-up camera (like LX470 2004). I would like to have it fit in my LX470 2002. Is that possible to do that as i want to connect the back-up camera to tha Navigation DVD ?
Thanks
I'm sure you can have a backup camera, but I'm not sure how to integregate it into the Navi. Also, the 2004's camera is reverse activated. Meaning whenever the gear is in reverse it automatically switches over, not sure how you going to do that too.

In the end, I don't think it's worth the costs. Sure it's nice to have that backup camera, but I rare trust it. If you ever ride in one you'll see what I mean. It appears as though you have all this room in the world, but when you step outside you're like 2 inches away from the object.
Old 01-22-05, 12:03 AM
bsjoiner
Driver

This can be done and as a matter of fact i have seen it in person. My neighbor has a 2002 and bought the backup camera for the 2004 from the dealer because he liked the clean installation but it is very pricey. He then had a local high end stereo shop do the necessary splicing into his nav so that it turns on when the car is in reverse as the 2004's do. He spent a lot of money on the whole system and install and IMO it was not worth it because as stated above it is kinda unreliable, but to each his own. I would rather just use the money to buy a slee offraod rear bumper and throw some post-it-notes and a pen in the glove box for when I back into someones car. The stereo shop is very good and the installer did the sirius install in the ashtray of my sc430 and put the antenna on the truck which is a feat that some installers and the dealership claimed impossible. He also got the wiring diagram for the nav from the dealership which was very necessary. Good luck if you decide to go this route.
Old 01-22-05, 08:29 AM
mmlee
Driver School Candidate

www.vaistech.com has some product that they're developing that might suite your needs. They must be having some difficulty because the release date has been puchsed back several times. Anyway the products that they're developing looks very promising and it seems to be a simple plug in type.
Old 01-22-05, 08:45 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bsjoiner
This can be done and as a matter of fact i have seen it in person. My neighbor has a 2002 and bought the backup camera for the 2004 from the dealer because he liked the clean installation but it is very pricey. He then had a local high end stereo shop do the necessary splicing into his nav so that it turns on when the car is in reverse as the 2004's do. He spent a lot of money on the whole system and install and IMO it was not worth it because as stated above it is kinda unreliable, but to each his own. I would rather just use the money to buy a slee offraod rear bumper and throw some post-it-notes and a pen in the glove box for when I back into someones car. The stereo shop is very good and the installer did the sirius install in the ashtray of my sc430 and put the antenna on the truck which is a feat that some installers and the dealership claimed impossible. He also got the wiring diagram for the nav from the dealership which was very necessary. Good luck if you decide to go this route.
I have seen it doen as well at a high end audio shop.

I disagree though on the fact that the camera is useless. I use it quite a bit, especially when I have cargo in the back that obscures my vision.

It was especially useful when I was using my hitch mounted cargo carrier that extends out about three feet behind the truck. Granted you can't completely rely on it, but it does help.
Old 09-26-14, 11:12 PM
arthbkins
Driver School Candidate

I bought a boyo backup camera and integrated with my factory Nav unit using this interface module bought for about $170 on ebay (link below). It works great. Installation was relatively easy.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LX-470-1998-2007-Navigation-Video-Interface-Add-TV-DVD-iPod-Backup-Camera-/251307661527?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALX470&hash=item3a831a98d7&vxp=mtr)
Old 06-20-15, 06:00 AM
bludy1
Driver School Candidate

I did the same thing, thanks to this arthbkins recommendation. I bought the http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LX-470-1998-2007-Navigation-Video-Interface-Add-TV-DVD-iPod-Backup-Camera-/251307661527?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALX470&hash=item3a831a98d7&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true unit on eBay and then bought an Optix camera on Crutchfield.

I was surprised by how good the Naviks instructions were. As soon as I'm finished tidying up the interior post-install I'll be making a DIY.

I mounted the camera above my license plate, then ran the wiring through the lift gate on the driver side, up to the 2nd row, then across to the passenger side, then under the front passenger seat.

One of the trickier parts so far, but was manageable, was getting the nav unit out from underneath the passenger seat to be able to do the wiring, which primarily involved adding vampire clips to the wires on the harness, but the directions and colors from the Naviks instructions were spot on.

2002 LX 470 Backup Camera via Naviks module
Old 07-09-15, 12:05 PM
bludy1
Driver School Candidate

Here's a link to my DIY Backup Camera Install:

http://2ndrodeo.com/2002-lexus-lx-47...camera-install
Old 07-13-15, 11:13 PM
drake24
Driver School Candidate

Default Optix camera

bludy1,
Thanks for the post. I just bought a 2002 LX470 and will be doing the backup camera install. Can you tell me why you chose the Optix camera over other brands? I cannot seem to find much information on this camera. Thanks and awesome install!

Mike
Old 07-14-15, 02:50 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bludy1
I did the same thing, thanks to this arthbkins recommendation. I bought the Naviks unit on eBay and then bought an Optix camera on Crutchfield.

I was surprised by how good the Naviks instructions were. As soon as I'm finished tidying up the interior post-install I'll be making a DIY.

I mounted the camera above my license plate, then ran the wiring through the lift gate on the driver side, up to the 2nd row, then across to the passenger side, then under the front passenger seat.

One of the trickier parts so far, but was manageable, was getting the nav unit out from underneath the passenger seat to be able to do the wiring, which primarily involved adding vampire clips to the wires on the harness, but the directions and colors from the Naviks instructions were spot on.

2002 LX 470 Backup Camera via Naviks module
looks great bro!
Old 07-14-15, 05:16 AM
bludy1
Driver School Candidate

@drake24, I chose the Optix camera because I didn't want to spend more than $100, it wasn't part of a license plate or similar style bracket assembly, and it has small lights on it (I think LED's) for better night vision, compared to the Clarion and Alpine ones I was looking at also that didn't mention anything about being able to see at night. Plus, the Optix camera has a 165 degree viewing angle, which I can say is quite nice. I got it from Crutchfield.
Old 07-16-16, 03:37 PM
spinco
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus LX 470 Backup Camera

I bought the video interface and camera as recommended on this forum. Then I took it to Best Buy for the installation. It did not work after following the online installation instructions. They could of missed something, but not sure as now they are stating the reason it does not work is probably Lexus needs to unlock the system to allow for the camera to work on the display. I did not see anything in the instructions that mentioned this issue so I doubt that is the real issue. When the truck is placed in reverse I do see like lines going across the screen like a TV without a signal. Best Buy is willing to trouble shoot with me, but not sure what to do at this point as they seem stumped themselves and pointing the finger back at access to the Lexus system.

Any advice in what to trouble shoot next, maybe something in the installation process that could be easily missed or done in error? Any help would be great. Thank you. Scott
Old 07-16-16, 08:05 PM
bludy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spinco
I bought the video interface and camera as recommended on this forum. Then I took it to Best Buy for the installation. It did not work after following the online installation instructions. They could of missed something, but not sure as now they are stating the reason it does not work is probably Lexus needs to unlock the system to allow for the camera to work on the display. I did not see anything in the instructions that mentioned this issue so I doubt that is the real issue. When the truck is placed in reverse I do see like lines going across the screen like a TV without a signal. Best Buy is willing to trouble shoot with me, but not sure what to do at this point as they seem stumped themselves and pointing the finger back at access to the Lexus system.

Any advice in what to trouble shoot next, maybe something in the installation process that could be easily missed or done in error? Any help would be great. Thank you. Scott
If picture is not showing up on the screen when the car is put in Reverse, but lines are visible on the screen, my guess is that the wiring is off. What year is your LX 470? Did the Best Buy installers follow my DIY write-up?

http://2ndrodeo.com/2002-lexus-lx-47...camera-install

There are two Yellow video ports on the back of the Naviks unit that the camera could be plugged into. Mine is plugged into "Video 2" on the back of the Naviks unit. I hope this info helps.
Old 07-17-16, 12:13 PM
spinco
Driver School Candidate

Default Backup Camera not working after install

Thanks for replying to my posting so quickly.

My truck is a 2002. Yes, I noted that issue in the instructions that you used video 2. Still no picture though. So assume it is not true that I need to get Lexus unlock the SW to enable the picture? Any other tips would be welcomed in trouble shooting. Thanks.