LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Which is larger LX470 or Sequoia ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 04:50 PM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Which is larger LX470 or Sequoia ??

It seems to me on the outside the Sequoia and the LX are about the same. (I know the are on different platforms). And the Toyota has more power, but basically the same engine and transmission.

My questions is:

1 - Do they have the same 4WD drive systems? Are the the LX more high tech in the 4WD department.? What are the differences?

2 - Which actually has more room? They seems about the same size, but according to the toyota website, there is more interior and cargo room the the Sequoia.

Your opinions please!!!
Old 01-05-05, 07:37 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sequoia is actually bigger than the LC/LX. The AWD system in the LC/LX is supposed to be a more sophisticated version, and the LX has the height adjustable suspension.

The Sequoia also has a "truckier" ride than the LC/LX.
Old 01-05-05, 10:12 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

I owned the sequoia for over 3 years, and currently have the lx 470 for nearly a year. These are the differences in my opinion:

The Seq. is MUCH larger in terms of capacity--i definitely miss the extra room.

LX is much more comfortable, and the ride is beyond anything else..its simply perfect.

LX's 4wd in my opinion is better than the sequoia...I have better off roading ability, and snow travel is MUCH easier with it.

Dont get me wrong...the sequoia was awesome....I wanted a bit more 4wd capability and more luxury....lx 470 is that.
Old 01-05-05, 11:18 PM
dougjohn
Pole Position

As already stated...
Sequoia is larger

LX470 is MUCH better. Interior is higher quality. Build quality is MUCH better. The LX470 and the Land Cruiser are built in Japan. The Sequoia is built in the US.

I'd choose a "Pre-Owned" LC or LX over a new Sequoia any day.
Old 01-05-05, 11:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by vipermann1
It seems to me on the outside the Sequoia and the LX are about the same. (I know the are on different platforms). And the Toyota has more power, but basically the same engine and transmission.

My questions is:

1 - Do they have the same 4WD drive systems? Are the the LX more high tech in the 4WD department.? What are the differences?

2 - Which actually has more room? They seems about the same size, but according to the toyota website, there is more interior and cargo room the the Sequoia.

Your opinions please!!!
AS stated the LX is based on the Landcrusier and a bit smalle than the Sequoia.
1. No. The LX and Land have possibly the best or one of the best 4WD systems ever. The LAnd crusier is the only vehicle to go to the North and South pole. The trucks are known worldwide for being some of the toughest made, able to be driven anywhere on the the planet.
2. Well I do think the first 2 rows of seats are near the same for room but the 3rd row is all Sequoia. Funny thing about interior volume, it counts everything but in reality, many cars/suvs wit smaller dimensions fit people better.
Old 01-06-05, 10:38 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
AS stated the LX is based on the Landcrusier and a bit smalle than the Sequoia.
1. No. The LX and Land have possibly the best or one of the best 4WD systems ever. The LAnd crusier is the only vehicle to go to the North and South pole. The trucks are known worldwide for being some of the toughest made, able to be driven anywhere on the the planet.
I did remember reading somewhere (I need to find it) that the LX/LC have a more sophisticated AWD system.
Old 01-14-05, 02:11 PM
chaddavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vipermann1

My questions is:

Your opinions please!!!
I own both a 01 LX 470 and a 02 Sequoia. Personally, I enjoy both vehicles but the Sequoia is definitely larger in terms of both cargo space and passenger room.

The ride in the LX 470 is far superior to the Sequoia but either vehicle is very enjoyable to drive.

We tend to use the LX 470 for normal driving and then leave the third row out of the Toyota for long trips with 2 black labs.

If you have car seats the extra width of the Sequoia second row is helpful for combining car seats and adults in the second row.
Old 01-14-05, 07:54 PM
flyfishman
Driver

Another big difference in my mind (I own a Sequoia) is the visual clearance offered by the LC/LX. I have owned the Sequoia for nearly four years now and sometimes still sweat changing lanes, reverse and typically avoid any tight parking spots. Large blind spots in the rear of the vehicle coupled with undersized side and rear windows make for poor rear and side visibility. I have often wondered why people in the back seat are afforded a better view of the road than the driver.

I have read that the 4WD systems are virtually the same - see Edmund's Sequoia/LC forums for a complete discussion of the 4WD system nuances. Main difference being that the LC/LX is full time. Ride quality seemed better in the LC, but I noticed a bit more sway/lean (possibly due to older body style). As far as mechanical/interior/exterior quality, the LC/LX has the edge.

Toyota was smart to keep the Sequoia at bay b/c making it too good would have cannibalized sales of its luxury SUV offerings. Will be interesting to see the next version, particularly if the LX ends up sharing the new Sequoia platform. Just curious what the outlook is for the LC?
Old 01-15-05, 04:30 PM
Bills
Driver School Candidate

Default Lx

I test drove a Sequoia and it is a nice suv but the lx is much nicer but i bought a gx. The downfall to the Sequoia is that the center console looked like a ford tauras. The sequoia is very big inside whitch is good.
Old 01-25-05, 07:05 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills
I test drove a Sequoia and it is a nice suv but the lx is much nicer but i bought a gx. The downfall to the Sequoia is that the center console looked like a ford tauras. The sequoia is very big inside whitch is good.
I too, thought that the Sequoia's center console look liked that of a Ford Taurus. The dash also seemed to made of that same cheap plastic that I see in Dodge products. Hands down, the LX/LC is the finest built luxury SUV. The way the doors sounded when I shut them was a key sign that this was a quality vehicle.

Jayson