LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Instrument cluster problem LX470 '99

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 02:22 PM
A RAV4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster problem LX470 '99

A lights in my instrument cluster out, I think
How to remove the cluster ?
Tnx
Old 11-07-04, 05:43 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Default Re: Instrument cluster problem LX470 '99

Originally posted by A RAV4
A lights in my instrument cluster out, I think
How to remove the cluster ?
Tnx
I had this happen on the speedometer on my cheapo 92 ES300, that unit cost $400 several years ago. Hate to think what the LX470 units would cost. The problem is you can't just fix a light. Just feel lucky you don't have an LC with the NAV system, I understand if the NAV goes out the unit costs $2000 and it controls all the air conditioning and heat controls. If it goes out you will be spending $2000++ Good luck.
Old 11-07-04, 08:15 PM
A RAV4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for condolences
Thought still same question: how to remove the cluster?
Reading on NET some people actualy fix it.
I got cluster far to get to connectors but do not know how to unlock them
It is very tight fit so I can not see them...
Old 11-23-07, 12:25 PM
talben
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday I changed the Drive indicator light in my LX470. It was pretty straightforward - and I don't really understand why people are shy about doing this...
The bulb is $2.00 - and the dealer wanted $450 in labor... I've also changed headlights, tail lights, all saving huge bucks.

To unlock the connectors you have to drop the steering wheel all the way, remove the bezel from the bottom of the cluster, disconnect the brightness wheel control, drop the panel under the steering wheel, and remove the two screws in the top of the cluster, and the screws from the bottom tabs (white plastic) from the rear shell of the cluster.
There are two large screws inside the white tabs - loosen these and you'll disconnect the harness from the cluster. Make sure that the key is NOT in during this operation.
Old 03-18-08, 11:38 AM
babylonboo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to change my drive indicator light as well

Talben
Thanks for your comments. I've been putting this off due to the charge at my Lexus dealership in CO for the labor.

I may purchase the light and give it a go.

Do you have any other suggestions for changing this light?

Thanks
Sam T.
Old 03-13-20, 12:38 PM
jaxonyang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by talben
Yesterday I changed the Drive indicator light in my LX470. It was pretty straightforward - and I don't really understand why people are shy about doing this...
The bulb is $2.00 - and the dealer wanted $450 in labor... I've also changed headlights, tail lights, all saving huge bucks.

To unlock the connectors you have to drop the steering wheel all the way, remove the bezel from the bottom of the cluster, disconnect the brightness wheel control, drop the panel under the steering wheel, and remove the two screws in the top of the cluster, and the screws from the bottom tabs (white plastic) from the rear shell of the cluster.
There are two large screws inside the white tabs - loosen these and you'll disconnect the harness from the cluster. Make sure that the key is NOT in during this operation.

Took out the cluster and all but how can I change the bulb? Took tye cluster apart from the rear and the front but no spot for a bulb. Any help would very much be appreciated. 99 LX470
Old 03-13-20, 02:46 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBull
I had this happen on the speedometer on my cheapo 92 ES300, that unit cost $400 several years ago. Hate to think what the LX470 units would cost. The problem is you can't just fix a light. Just feel lucky you don't have an LC with the NAV system, I understand if the NAV goes out the unit costs $2000 and it controls all the air conditioning and heat controls. If it goes out you will be spending $2000++ Good luck.
Not at all correct on "you can't just fix a light".

Originally Posted by A RAV4
Thanks for condolences
Thought still same question: how to remove the cluster?
Reading on NET some people actualy fix it.
I got cluster far to get to connectors but do not know how to unlock them
It is very tight fit so I can not see them...
Use a socket to completely loosen the bolts in the lower corners of the IP...If you loosen enough, you can pull them and additional 1/2" or so further out. At that point, the IP unplugs from the connectors on each side.

Originally Posted by talben
I had mine apart to remove the "D" indicator lamp...bright at night, cannot be dimmed, may drive you crazy.