LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

GPS Navigation updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 01:01 PM
cobber1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Navigation updates

Does anyone have an economical means of updating the GPS navigation system verses taking it to a dealership?
Old 08-03-04, 01:45 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GPS Navigation updates

Originally posted by cobber1
Does anyone have an economical means of updating the GPS navigation system verses taking it to a dealership?
What year are you talking about? I think all of the LX Navs were DVD based and don't require a trip to the dealer, you just have to order the updated DVD.
Old 08-03-04, 03:02 PM
cobber1
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS update

It's a 2002. My owners manual says to take to the dealership for an update. My Lexus service guy told me it would cost around $250 to update and the only update available since the 02 model year would not be worth the price. He recommended waiting for another year update. I too thought it would be updated by a cd/dvd and I don't see why I can't just buy it and do the upgrade myself. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-04, 03:30 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Default Re: GPS update

Originally posted by cobber1
It's a 2002. My owners manual says to take to the dealership for an update. My Lexus service guy told me it would cost around $250 to update and the only update available since the 02 model year would not be worth the price. He recommended waiting for another year update. I too thought it would be updated by a cd/dvd and I don't see why I can't just buy it and do the upgrade myself. Any ideas?
Take it to the dealer? Really?

I have a 2004 Land Cruiser and the manual indicates where the actual DVD-ROM unit is (under the passenger seat) and how to remove the DVD. I'll have to check the manual to see who you need to contact to get the new disc.

To give you a perspective on price, last fall I purchased the new DVD for the NAV in my Acura and it cost me $180 ordering it directly from Alpine.
Old 08-03-04, 04:44 PM
cobber1
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS upgrade

OK, I found the GPS unit under the seat, took the cover off and found the dvd rom. Now I just need to know where to go to get a current DVD.
Old 08-03-04, 06:10 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

The manual for my Land Cruiser says that the maps are maps of DENSO and are owned by Geographic Data Technology.

Aside from that it says to contact the dealer for updates.

Sorry.
Old 08-04-04, 09:05 PM
cobber1
Driver School Candidate

I found the Denso name on the GPS unit and searched their web site today. There has to be somewhere to buy the upgrades as they come out. SOmeone on ebay is selling a couple of Oct. 03 updates and they are probably the most current.
Old 08-19-04, 02:18 PM
02LX470
Driver School Candidate

A member from the LS forum (LS007) just helped me out with the question and sent me the following info:
DVD updates are easy. You just replace the DVD disc in the drive of the navigation computer. It probably has a slide door and eject button. I think it's under one of your seats in a LX, but in my LS430 it was in the trunk. When you start up with the new disc in it might take a couple seconds to update, but then it's done.

Discounted discs are sold at www.lexus-parts.com.

HTH!

Last edited by 02LX470; 08-19-04 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 10:45 AM
02LX470
Driver School Candidate

yeah....I got the same info this morning from my local Lexus dealer......10/1/04, $279...and no increase in performance speed. Yet the other member that had started the thread on the LS430 forum stated that he thought that the system ran faster once last fall's update was installed.
Please let me know if you find a cheaper way to get the update! Thanks!
Old 05-27-05, 05:36 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

There was a TSB out for people who got late 2004 and early 2005 models that there was a free upgrade you could get from the dealer. You have to do it before 12/31/05. I had posted on here before I was going to wait for there to be a newer update. I called my service dept. today to have them install it while I was having other service done. Tech advised me to wait until October, because there is supposed to be a completely new DVD from a different mapping company that he says is supposed to be amazing. And, that it would be covered by the TSB and I could get it for free. I don't know if he knows what he's talking about, but I'm going to wait until October.
Old 07-18-05, 04:36 PM
Mrwriter69
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Replacement DVD

I have a 2002 GS300 with the Lexus (Toyoda?) GPS.

I stopped at the local dealer in Charlotte, NC to ask about an updated DVD. 3 people each gave me a different price. It could be any of the following: $250, $298 or $400. I am guessing the $400 would be installed.

I am no techie genius, but I should be able to replace one DVD with another. I just wonder if anybody out there has found it available for a lower price.

I was told one would be out in September - October time frame. One that came out last year was all screwed up and Lexus replaced it with a full refund. Typical that I am a day late and a dollar short.
Old 07-19-05, 06:07 PM
mink92890
Lead Lap

I wouldnt try ebay or anything... I tried and it turned out it didnt work... There are so many versions of these CDs it is easy to get your hands wrong... You should definetly by from a dealer that knows, and if not them instsalling it, you guys can, but how much are they gonna charge for a installation that takes 10 minutes... You also get a free car wash

Mink92890
Old 09-14-05, 12:49 PM
michael_m
Driver School Candidate

Default 03 update

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
Take it to the dealer? Really?

I have a 2004 Land Cruiser and the manual indicates where the actual DVD-ROM unit is (under the passenger seat) and how to remove the DVD. I'll have to check the manual to see who you need to contact to get the new disc.

To give you a perspective on price, last fall I purchased the new DVD for the NAV in my Acura and it cost me $180 ordering it directly from Alpine.
I have a 01 ultra...I suspect you have the same GPS disk that I had...I updated to the 03 and there was a huge difference...it went from 750,000 points of interest to 5 million...

I am now waiting to see what the 05 upgrade offers...I don't think it will be out until Nov. or Dec...or what the difference will be.

If you find out WHEN it is coming out or it's specs let me know....
Old 09-14-05, 03:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I've removed a number of posts from this thread discussing software piracy. I'm sorry, but that is not allowed on ClubLexus.... it puts our forum at legal risk. Please do not continue that discussion here or the thread will be locked.

Originally Posted by Mrwriter69
I stopped at the local dealer in Charlotte, NC to ask about an updated DVD.
Mrw - I'm in Charlotte also. Please check out the 'sticky' posted at the top of the SouthEast regional forum that details the discount at Hendrick Lexus for our forum members.

If you order the DVD from Lexus-Parts.com, please make sure to take advantage of our ten percent discount code for ClubLexus members “CL911M”

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/link/category/6/
Old 09-14-05, 05:24 PM
michael_m
Driver School Candidate

Default Installing New Nav. GPS disk...

Here is the install proceedure for a 2001LS.. Directions did not come with my NEW DVD when I did this almost two years ago...IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE NEW 05 COMING OUT PLEASE POST...

1) The hardest part is finding the thing in the trunk...Roll back the Carpet on the right side of the trunk,

2) There is a cover that needs to be removed...It is Fairly obvious...Remove the two side screws and tilt the unit up to expose the front slot insert...

3) power up the car. Does not need to be Running but on full battery Power is OK.

4) Slide the left little slot cover open ( Just the DVD slot) to expose the eject button)...

5) Push the eject button and exchange the DVDs

6) The Up date starts automatically...and will display on the Nav. screen....

7) It takes a minute of two ...once completed ...just button everything back up.

Quick Reply: GPS Navigation updates