LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Door Lock Actuators

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 10:28 PM
wes61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Lock Actuators

I just replaced my rear door lock actuators with rebuilt ones purchased on EBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251433024810...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My doors were easy close; dealer wanted $800 each. The rebuilt ones cost $130 plus $10 shipping which included shipping label to return old ones for which got $30 refund for each returned. Dealer replaced and work great. Has a lifetime warranty.

The rebuilt ones are not easy close, but replaced mine fine. Lost the easy close feature that I didn't know I had anyway.
Old 06-04-15, 12:59 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

To bad the rebuilt ones are not easy close, it's one of the features I enjoy.
Old 06-04-15, 02:55 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

You should open old one and see what motor is used. If similar to the 430 they are very easy to fix. Linked is what the 430 uses. Cost me $9 to fix mine with easy close. Dealer wanted about a grand when I was quoted as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Central-Actuat...s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-04-15 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 04:58 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sim not sure what in in the 460, but I have bought replacement motors for my rx300 and ls430 from eBay for only a few bucks each. All I did was a search on the forum, it was a bit scary taking the doors off and prying the actuator open, but there is great discussion and help on these forums. If you can't find it, just ask!
Old 06-04-15, 09:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I never understood the allure of these. My 7 series had them and seldom needed them. My LS needs even less effort to close the doors than the BMW did and can't imagine how I'd need it. The LS doors practically close themselves.
Old 06-04-15, 10:37 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I never understood the allure of these. My 7 series had them and seldom needed them. My LS needs even less effort to close the doors than the BMW did and can't imagine how I'd need it. The LS doors practically close themselves.
I didn't realize my car had the soft close feature until after I got it home but I think it is one of the cooler features on the car. Just fun to watch the doors pull up tight when thy don't fully close!
Old 06-05-15, 04:59 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

It is a nice feature. Owning the car you get used to the amount of force needed to close the door properly but here and there others don't and it is convenient that they will finish the job for you. On the 430, the same motors are used in the self-folding mirrors.
Old 06-05-15, 06:37 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Great feature when you have little kids who are sleeping in the car.
Old 06-05-15, 08:09 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I use mine daily. They're perfect for when you have passengers in your car that like to slam doors...I'm not the only one that doesn't like people slamming car doors of cars you own so the soft close feature really helps.
Old 06-05-15, 09:45 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
I use mine daily. They're perfect for when you have passengers in your car that like to slam doors...I'm not the only one that doesn't like people slamming car doors of cars you own so the soft close feature really helps.
I don't think the power closing door motor engages if enough force is used to close the door on its own. Power closing doors aren't necessarily the same as soft closing doors.

If you're saying that one can't slam the door (I haven't yet experimented with this), perhaps there's some other mechanism or feature in place for that beyond the power door closing motor.
Old 06-05-15, 10:41 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gbp
I don't think the power closing door motor engages if enough force is used to close the door on its own. Power closing doors aren't necessarily the same as soft closing doors.

If you're saying that one can't slam the door (I haven't yet experimented with this), perhaps there's some other mechanism or feature in place for that beyond the power door closing motor.
I meant you simply inform your passengers to bring the door close enough for the soft closing feature to do its thing. I don't think there's a car that has doors that explicitly prevent you from slamming the doors.
Old 06-05-15, 11:41 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I meant you simply inform your passengers to bring the door close enough for the soft closing feature to do its thing. I don't think there's a car that has doors that explicitly prevent you from slamming the doors.
Thanks for clarifying. I took your "soft close feature" phrase literally, as opposed to the "power door assist" feature under discussion. We have the soft close feature in our kitchen cabinets and drawers, and it prevents slamming them.
Old 06-05-15, 12:41 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gbp
Thanks for clarifying. I took your "soft close feature" phrase literally, as opposed to the "power door assist" feature under discussion. We have the soft close feature in our kitchen cabinets and drawers, and it prevents slamming them.
No problem! 'Soft close' is what the feature is technically called. I know BMW and Mercedes (and I think Lexus also) use the term for the feature. 'Power door assist' reminds me of power sliding doors on mini vans.
The soft close feature in the kitchen cabinets is definitely awesome. I've tried many times without luck to try and slam them and have failed every single time. I wonder who will be the first to implement such a feature in cars.
Old 06-05-15, 01:30 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

No problem! 'Soft close' is what the feature is technically called. I know BMW and Mercedes (and I think Lexus also) use the term for the feature. 'Power door assist' reminds me of power sliding doors on mini vans.
The soft close feature in the kitchen cabinets is definitely awesome. I've tried many times without luck to try and slam them and have failed every single time. I wonder who will be the first to implement such a feature in cars.
*Clears throat*
Lexus
Old 06-05-15, 02:56 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

When I first found out about the soft close doors, I had to do a double take. I had my hands full, and when closing the door, the handle slipped out of my fingers. The door just barely clicked. As I reached around to finish the job, the door was closed. Huh? So, I opened the door and let it just get close and the soft close just finished the job.

Do I need it? Nah. Do I love it. You betcha by golly!

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuators