LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Checking the abs and control arms for any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 12:03 AM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking the abs and control arms for any issues?

Hello everyone.

I have found a very nice ls460 2007 with 60K miles with a good price

I went to test drive the car and it was really nice. It was very smooth and the ride was very comfortable. Also, the brakes were very good and there wasn't much of that clicking noise when I apply the brakes as I've heard in other LS460s

But I noticed that the car doesn't accelerate immediately when I press the gas pedal. I need to apply extra force so that the car accelerates decently. Maybe I'm not used to the pedal feel? Is this a serious issue?

I wanted to know how can I figure out (by test driving) if the control arms are bad or not? Also, the brake booster and the abs since all of the these are some pretty expensive repairs

Please, share your opinoins
Old 06-01-15, 04:41 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

In the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum there are a couple threads discussing the acceleration issue, they may help you. Look under the Mechanical Engine section.

The best way to check the condition of the bushings is to get the car up on a lift.

As far as the brake actuator I'm not sure what you can check. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Old 06-01-15, 08:04 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The experience people have noted with the brakes are clicking noises. Make sure you're in a quiet setting away from traffic, radio and HVAC off, etc. while backing up slowly, repeatedly depress the brake pedal. Do this while turning wheels in both directions and also while driving forward. If you don't hear any clicking noises, you should be fine. Keep in mind, that this issue is NOT a safety issue, but rather an annoyance that some feel is unacceptable. Mine does it, but I barely notice it. You could also request a printout from a Lexus dealer of all the service and customer complaints to see what issues have been brought to their attention, (including bushings).

As Nospinzone stated, the best way to check on the bushings is to have it on a hoist at a Lexus or Toyota dealer for them to check. You didn't indicate where this vehicle is being sold...obviously, you'll want this done by a dealer who isn't selling the car. If the bushings need attention, they will notice cracked and/or deteriorating rubber in the components.

Hesitation. This is a noticeable symptom if you experience it. There should be nothing subtle about it. If you've researched this here at CL, you'll have read about how this feels. In most cases, the issue occurs immediately after an oil change and eventually returns to normal after a few hundred to a thousand miles or weeks. It varies. In my case, the issue disappeared after switching to Toyota 0W20 oil. The general consensus after some research, is that the VVT-I system in our engines are particular to correct oil. The label on a bottle of TGMO oil states that it's specifically formulated for VVT-I direct injection engines. I'm 100% convinced that TGMO oil cured my issue. Previous to the cure, Every oil change resulted in hesitation when using the correct viscosity of oil, but not the TGMO. For example, I used Quaker State Ultimate Durabilty 0W30 (which is one of the two correct viscosity's) and immediately had hesitation. I also tried other brands of the same viscosity with the same effect. I have now used the TGMO 0W20 for two changes and have had zero hesitation. It's been about 12k miles of driving bliss.

Keep in mind that the bushings can be repaired for well under 1k dollars (half that if you do it yourself), by using aftermarket components.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-01-15, 09:34 AM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback everyone

So, the bushings are manageable and can be fixed for a reasonable price? Glad to hear that !

I'm actually hesitating to pay $26k for an 8 years old car and out of warranty !

Sometimes I say it would be better to pay that money for a new car and be relaxed for at least 5-10 years but all I can get near this price is an Avalon or in the best cases a CPO ES350 and all of them are not even near the level of the LS460

(PS: I'm living in the UAE)

Last edited by ShamanLS; 06-01-15 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 12:56 PM
mdorn98
Driver School Candidate

For the amount that these cars and the repairs cost I would take it to lexus for an inspection. If its a private seller or a dealer simply ask them to meet you at a lexus dealer and explain what you would like to do. Typically inspections are a couple hundred dollars and could reveal any problems. The problems below were revealed by Lexus when I bought mine at 64,000 miles.

Main Things To Look For:
Control Arms
Brake Actuator
Drive Chain in Motor
Water Pump Leak
Uneven Tire wear
Warped Brake Disks

Also there was a recent recall involving a fuel gasket. Make sure this is completed as well as any other recall items.

Hope this helps
Old 06-01-15, 01:56 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A 2007 LS 460 with 60k miles for $36k? That's way too high.
Old 06-01-15, 02:10 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

You shouldn't pay 36k for an 07 Ls460. No way. Look around, you can purchase the 07's from anywhere between 17k-26k...and for 26k it had better be prestine. In fact the car you are looking at might go for 26k, but not 36k.

I payed 22k for my 07 two years ago with 72,000 miles on it. It's been a great car...zero problems, and I have enjoyed every second of it.
Old 06-01-15, 02:48 PM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Sorry it was $26k not 36k :P

I'm starting to look for brand new 2015 ES350 but it'll cost double the price :/

What would you prefer: new 2015 es350 with warranty or a used 2007 ls460?

It's my first luxury car, I don't want to make bad decision
Old 06-01-15, 03:42 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ahh,then you should be able to negotiate it even further down from 26k. Perhaps as far down as 22k if you're good at negotiating.
The LS is leaps and bounds above the ES even if it's a 2015 model. They're not even comparable. I took my car in for service and got an IS loaner... The thing can't even begin to compare. I'd say save the change for any unexpected repairs that might ever come up with the LS and get the LS. Phenomenal vehicle and I've been enjoying every moment of mine. Also on the used '07, you can get an aftermarket warranty for a relatively low cost (mine was less than 900 bucks for 48 months/50k miles that covers practically everything except for the body, maintenance items, etc).
Old 06-01-15, 03:57 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

mdorn98:
Your list of things to look for included "drive chain in motor". Are you talking about the timing chains? I haven't seen this mentioned in this forum as being a problem.
Old 06-01-15, 08:06 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

forget about the brand new ES, id take the used 460 any day.

You will take a massive loss on buying that ES brand new, much much more then the few issues that may or may not come up with the used 460.
Old 06-01-15, 08:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

This may help you:

Some vehicles may exhibit a hesitation on acceleration and in some cases set Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P2119 (Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range/Performance). To enhance
the smoothness of acceleration the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised. In some instances, the replacement of the cylinder heads may also be required. Use the following repair procedure to address the customer’s concern.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...celeration.pdf
Old 06-02-15, 03:19 AM
ShamanLS
Rookie

So today I went to test drive the new Impala since it seems that everyone are so impressed with it . Also, it's the top rated vehicle in consumer reports large cars category

The handling and body roll were good. Isolation was average or little above average. Acceleration was decent

But overall, I don't see myself paying $40k for it. It just didn't impress THAT much.

Unlike the impala, the LS always impresses me whenever I drive it. Indeed, it's truly unique and fascinating

I have booked a test drive for the new Avalon tomorrow. Let's see how it goes !
( I already know the results anyway, but just to be in the safe side)
Old 06-02-15, 03:23 AM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a new ES loaner last month while having the fuel system gasket replaced. Drove it for about two hours. Nice car if it meets or exceeds your expectations. Settling back into my 2007 LS with 65k miles after the work was completed exceeded my expectations.
Old 06-02-15, 03:30 AM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Originally Posted by enoch861
Ahh,then you should be able to negotiate it even further down from 26k. Perhaps as far down as 22k if you're good at negotiating.
The LS is leaps and bounds above the ES even if it's a 2015 model. They're not even comparable. I took my car in for service and got an IS loaner... The thing can't even begin to compare. I'd say save the change for any unexpected repairs that might ever come up with the LS and get the LS. Phenomenal vehicle and I've been enjoying every moment of mine. Also on the used '07, you can get an aftermarket warranty for a relatively low cost (mine was less than 900 bucks for 48 months/50k miles that covers practically everything except for the body, maintenance items, etc).

The IS is very small and intended for young audience that want a sporty Lexus drive. The LS460 is very different since it's the flagship of lexus.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
forget about the brand new ES, id take the used 460 any day.

You will take a massive loss on buying that ES brand new, much much more then the few issues that may or may not come up with the used 460.

All cars become old after being used. But having an old LS is different that having an old ES

But what the ES has is warranty. That's basically the biggest plus for the ES and that's the reason I even thought about it. But I guess the LS460 is worth the risk

Quick Reply: Checking the abs and control arms for any issues?