LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I've been around these cars a long time. We had a 98 LS in the family until 170k miles. Nobody seems to question the reliability of the 400...we also had a 430 until nearly 100k...nobody questions the reliability of the 430. But there were expensive repairs. Air suspension, starter, you had to have a timing belt on those cars there at a $1200 cost at the dealer.

Bottom line, these are expensive cars. People buy them when they're old and approaching 100k miles for $20k and expect them to run like a brand new $20k car, and that expectation is just not realistic. They're full of expensive parts designed for an $80k car, soft bushings and mounts and things that don't wear as well as harder fittings. If you don't have several k to put your hands on at any given time...don't buy one of these cars. People traded them at that mileage because they didn't want to start incurring repair costs. If you want to compare repair costs, talk to someone else with an old approaching 100k 7 Series or S Class or A8...you have it WAY better.

Nothing lasts forever guys. An 07 460 is going to be potentially 9 years old...it's an old car.

The only thing I will say about the control arms, I agree it should be a recall or service campaign. My mechanic who was a Lexus master tech for 16 years before opening his Lexus focused shop told me when I was looking at a used early LS460 not to buy one because of the control arm issue.
Old 06-02-15, 01:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've been around these cars a long time. We had a 98 LS in the family until 170k miles. Nobody seems to question the reliability of the 400...we also had a 430 until nearly 100k...nobody questions the reliability of the 430. But there were expensive repairs. Air suspension, starter, you had to have a timing belt on those cars there at a $1200 cost at the dealer.

Bottom line, these are expensive cars. People buy them when they're old and approaching 100k miles for $20k and expect them to run like a brand new $20k car, and that expectation is just not realistic. They're full of expensive parts designed for an $80k car, soft bushings and mounts and things that don't wear as well as harder fittings. If you don't have several k to put your hands on at any given time...don't buy one of these cars. People traded them at that mileage because they didn't want to start incurring repair costs. If you want to compare repair costs, talk to someone else with an old approaching 100k 7 Series or S Class or A8...you have it WAY better.

Nothing lasts forever guys. An 07 460 is going to be potentially 9 years old...it's an old car.

The only thing I will say about the control arms, I agree it should be a recall or service campaign. My mechanic who was a Lexus master tech for 16 years before opening his Lexus focused shop told me when I was looking at a used early LS460 not to buy one because of the control arm issue.
Bottom line, these are expensive cars.
Until you've owned a 7 series, as I have, (as you stated), then you feel blessed. Heck, I'd even put it up against my wifes previous Grand Cherokee and certainly her X5. This is by far the cheapest and easiest to maintain car I've ever owne. My Acura is close, but the timing belt requirements make my LS better.

Yes these are expensive cars to PURCHASE, but parts are not and many parts are shared with other platforms (such as Tundra, etc),

radiator 65 bucks
water pump 50 bucks
starter 140 bucks
complete replacement set of control arms front and rear 300 bucks
mufflers including labour for both 400
rotors 75 dollars for both front and pads for under 25 (50 if you want Akebono)
Genuine Toiyota oiil filter - 6 bucks

None of these are boutique type prices and I would compare them to any other car's parts out there. Heck, a starter for 2009 Corolla is near a hundred dollars.

There is nothing exotic about the LS when it comes to parts. Good example is the mufflers that I replaced. Identical dimensions to a 2007 Chevrolet Cavalier. That's about as unexotic as it gets. LOL

Last edited by roadfrog; 06-02-15 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Most people don't have the inclination or the general knowledge to shop and use parts from different applications, afternarket, though. They take it to a mechanic or the dealer, and they get shocked by the cost of parts and repairs.

For instance the control arm repair costs 95% of people $3k because they aren't willing to use an inexpensive eBay part.
Old 06-02-15, 03:41 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Most people don't have the inclination or the general knowledge to shop and use parts from different applications, afternarket, though. They take it to a mechanic or the dealer, and they get shocked by the cost of parts and repairs.

For instance the control arm repair costs 95% of people $3k because they aren't willing to use an inexpensive eBay part.
I think those people should just buy a warranty and trade in their car or lease and just chalk up the expense. Ignorance is bliss and expensive.
With the BMW I was unable to source inexpensive parts on the internet, the best I could do is $50 off a $500 exotic part the dealer would charge.
The Lexus is just a big Toyota and the impressive thing about Toyota is the parts are ridiculously inexpensive if you know where to look.
The great motivator for sourcing parts is a lot of money saved and if you are not in the business of doing that there is no point in having a philosophy of saving on the little things when the big things just slip by out of convenience. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Old 06-02-15, 04:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No... they would rather use the same oem part that let them down prematurely in the first place.

For the price of the OEM parts/labour at Lexus, they could replace the "inferior parts" from Ebay, literally five times.

+1 on DEVH's statements too. These people need to lease or buy within warranty to protect themselves from themselves. There is nothing complicated about shopping and doing their due diligence research online, especially if you know how to post in a thread here at CL, all the more if you can post pics, include a fancy signature, etc etc.

Last edited by roadfrog; 06-02-15 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 05:38 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No... they would rather use the same oem part that let them down prematurely in the first place.

For the price of the OEM parts/labour at Lexus, they could replace the "inferior parts" from Ebay, literally five times.

+1 on DEVH's statements too. These people need to leaase or buy within warranty to protect themselves from themselves. There is nothing complicated about shopping and doing their due diligence research online, especially if you know how to post in a thread here at CL, all the more if you can post pics, include a fancy signature, etc etc.
Save themselves from themselves. That is a great saying and the current state of culture.
The lengths the industry will go to create that culture is turning people into zombies that infect other people.
Old 06-02-15, 06:17 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^agreed^^^. Had a beautiful '95 E-class Mercedes that I brought back from Japan with super low mileage. Had the body kit, rims, exhaust...all hooked up, right? Problem is that the car was unreliable (as you said, no amount of paint or bling could change the fact that it was an OLD car) and it starting costing me $$$$ so I got rid of it while I could and got my LS400. Best car move I've ever made.
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug change costs ,600 to fix. car for sale-001.jpg  
Old 06-02-15, 06:29 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
^^^agreed^^^. Had a beautiful '95 E-class Mercedes that I brought back from Japan with super low mileage. Had the body kit, rims, exhaust...all hooked up, right? Problem is that the car was unreliable (as you said, no amount of paint or bling could change the fact that it was an OLD car) and it starting costing me $$$$ so I got rid of it while I could and got my LS400. Best car move I've ever made.
Just to clarify, OLD doesn't necessarily mean unreliable. UNRELIABLE means unreliable. Our 1989 Honda Civic was an old car that had 310,000+ miles before we gave it away ( the head gasket blew). Yet prior to the head gasket blowing it was FAAAARRRR more reliable than many newer cars with much less miles. It had the original tranny ( manual), original starter, fuel pump, oil pump, catalytic converter, wheel bearings. Not one sensor ever went bad. The water pumps never failed (they were always replaced with the timing belt). Prior to the head gasket blowing it did burn a little oil. It had some cv boots rip and need replacing, the AC had to be fixed. It was an excellent little car despite being old.

Not ours, but similar with a different color.

Last edited by Pamperme; 06-02-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 06:57 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Just to clarify, OLD doesn't necessarily mean unreliable. UNRELIABLE means unreliable. Our 1989 Honda Civic was an old car that had 310,000+ miles before we gave it away ( the head gasket blew). Yet prior to the head gasket blowing it was FAAAARRRR more reliable than many newer cars with much less miles. It had the original tranny ( manual), original starter, fuel pump, oil pump, catalytic converter, wheel bearings. Not one sensor ever went bad. The water pumps never failed (they were always replaced with the timing belt). Prior to the head gasket blowing it did burn a little oil. It had some cv boots rip and need replacing, the AC had to be fixed. It was an excellent little car despite being old.

Not ours, but similar with a different color.
Those were very good cars indeed! Maintenance is important if not more important. I see unrestored 1050s and 60s cars here in California all the time. Not many, but if you talk to the owners, they are mostly 1 or 2 owner and have always been in the family. One lady had this wonderful 1961 or 1962 Beetle that was her car. Not one of her cars, but her car. Paint was dull but it ran like a watch and no oil stains under it. That's something! A lot of LS and SCs seem to easily make it to over 300k miles and they really, no exaggerating, look like new.
Old 06-02-15, 11:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

+1 on DEVH's statements too. These people need to lease or buy within warranty to protect themselves from themselves. There is nothing complicated about shopping and doing their due diligence research online, especially if you know how to post in a thread here at CL, all the more if you can post pics, include a fancy signature, etc etc.
I didn't say inferior, I said inexpensive. No need to argue with me, I'm agreeing win you. The fact is though, the vast majority of people just take their car to a machanic or the dealer, and unless they are willing to pay for some expensive repairs, they should buy a new Accord instead of a used LS460. The OP is clearly one of these people. You clearly aren't.

To Pamperme, comparing an old Civic to an LS460 is silly.. The civic is very reliable...it also has no features, no technology, and is a far less complex vehicle than an LS460.

Old doesn't mean unreliable, but any older car is going to need more maintenance and repairs compared for a new car. If you aren't prepared for that...buy a lesser new car.

That's one reason why I don't buy used cars. I don't want to deal with it.
Old 06-02-15, 11:40 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's what I've always said: Every car is reliable. Do all recommended maintenance and if anything comes up fix it however small. The car will be reliable. Also if you're not comfortable doing your own maintenance or if you have second thoughts, let someone else do it. If you screw up, it's not the car's fault. At the end of the day, every car is reliable as long as you take care of it. The old adage: 'take care of her and she'll take care of you' applies here. I think reliability isn't about a car having unexpected repairs. At the end of the day, the word reliability needs to be defined with a definition that we can all stick to because it looks like we all have our own ideas as to what 'reliability' means.

Last edited by enoch861; 06-02-15 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 08:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enoch861
Here's what I've always said: Every car is reliable. Do all recommended maintenance and if anything comes up fix it however small. The car will be reliable. Also if you're not comfortable doing your own maintenance or if you have second thoughts, let someone else do it. If you screw up, it's not the car's fault. At the end of the day, every car is reliable as long as you take care of it. The old adage: 'take care of her and she'll take care of you' applies here. I think reliability isn't about a car having unexpected repairs. At the end of the day, the word reliability needs to be defined with a definition that we can all stick to because it looks like we all have our own ideas as to what 'reliability' means.
Oh wow....I cannot disagree more. "Reliable" means that when I get into my car and turn the key, it starts and doesn't belch a mushroom cloud of blue smoke with only 50k miles on it, DESPITE regular maintenance (ie: My previous 7 series). Now, if you want to say that any car can LAST forever, THAT is true. So long as you keep throwing money at it, you can drive the car literally forever. Let's not play with words, everyone knows what reliable is. A Toyota Corolla is reliable.... A Yugo is not. Reliable is defined as, "consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted."

..."dependable, good, well founded, trustworthy, constant, unfailing; fail-safe, reputable, established, proven, having trustworthy qualities".
Old 06-03-15, 10:20 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't say inferior, I said inexpensive. No need to argue with me, I'm agreeing win you. The fact is though, the vast majority of people just take their car to a machanic or the dealer, and unless they are willing to pay for some expensive repairs, they should buy a new Accord instead of a used LS460. The OP is clearly one of these people. You clearly aren't.

To Pamperme, comparing an old Civic to an LS460 is silly.. The civic is very reliable...it also has no features, no technology, and is a far less complex vehicle than an LS460.

Old doesn't mean unreliable, but any older car is going to need more maintenance and repairs compared for a new car. If you aren't prepared for that...buy a lesser new car.

That's one reason why I don't buy used cars. I don't want to deal with it.
True. And I would also add an older LUXURY car is going to need more EXPENSIVE maintenance for the reasons you already listed...more features and technology = more things that will fail and need attention as the years start stacking up.
Old 06-03-15, 10:49 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
True. And I would also add an older LUXURY car is going to need more EXPENSIVE maintenance for the reasons you already listed...more features and technology = more things that will fail and need attention as the years start stacking up.
But the value prop for a Lexus is stacked in favor of the used car. My 600 is 7 years old, less than 50K on it and has a warranty to 2020 and another 60K miles. I got it all papered, taxed, warrantied, etc. for less than 40K. There isn't a 40K new car out there with a new car warranty and new car young parts that matches either the current condition of the 600 or the likely experience for the next 5 years. Someone else ate 70% depreciation on it and I get to benefit. Except that the parts are chronologically old on it, there's nothing that distinguishes it from a new one to me or anyone who sees it (except the lack of the new one's ugly *** grill). The chronologically old parts will be replaced by new parts at no additional expense for me.

That's why I won't ever buy a new car again.
Old 06-03-15, 11:11 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh wow....I cannot disagree more. "Reliable" means that when I get into my car and turn the key, it starts and doesn't belch a mushroom cloud of blue smoke with only 50k miles on it, DESPITE regular maintenance (ie: My previous 7 series). Now, if you want to say that any car can LAST forever, THAT is true. So long as you keep throwing money at it, you can drive the car literally forever. Let's not play with words, everyone knows what reliable is. A Toyota Corolla is reliable.... A Yugo is not. Reliable is defined as, "consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted."

..."dependable, good, well founded, trustworthy, constant, unfailing; fail-safe, reputable, established, proven, having trustworthy qualities".
There are plenty of 7 series on the road with over 100,000 miles. Just because the one you had was unreliable doesn't mean they all are. You were just unlucky and had a lemon.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale