LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 05:15 PM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update: car fixed. New engine and radiator (it was cracked) Insurance rules!

State Farm covered the engine replacement under my comprehensive insurance. It took a lot of wrangling to get an agreed repair facility because their network is pretty much body shops and the few that do engine work wouldn’t work on a Lexus. I finally got the Lexus dealer to come down to within $300 of the State Farm estimate, and State Farm seems to be willing to pay me the difference anyway.
In any case, I picked up the car by paying my $1,000 comprehensive deductible, the $286 gap, and the $200 warranty deductible for the radiator. State farm had already issued a joint check for nearly $10,000. If State Farm is going to pay the gap, they’ll pay me, but even if they don’t I’m extremely happy with how things worked out. There’s also a few hundred bucks in diagnostic fees that I already paid a month ago, which State Farm is probably going to pay me (but again, I’m not going to be upset if they don’t).
While they were replacing the engine with a used one, they found a hairline crack in the radiator. Fortunately, that is covered under my extended warranty with a $200 deductible. My total out of pocket this time was $1500.
They finished the car yesterday and I picked it up. The engine is used one from California, with 41,000 miles on it. They transferred my new water pump, new pulley tensioner, and new spark plugs to that engine.
It runs flawlessly, but I thought the other one did too before the fiasco. This one might be a little smoother at idle, a little quieter, and a little smoother throttle response. I say it might be, because I’ve been driving other cars the last month or so and may be mis-remembering.
I haven’t decided for sure, but I’m leaning toward selling this car while I have it running and driving so good. The car has 96,000 miles on it. Off the top of my head, here’s the list of new parts (new in the last few months):

New upper and lower control arms,
New water pump,
New pulley tensioner,
New spark plugs,
New HID head lights,
Used engine with 41,000 miles on it,
New radiator,
New tires,
New brake rotors and pads,
New battery.
All new fluids, including transmission flush and rear differential. I think new brake fluid, but not positive (I thought it was part of the 90k service).

I owe more than Kelley Blue Book, but hopefully with all this new stuff, and some patience, somebody will cough up close to what I owe. I’ve never sold a car that had a loan on it, so I’ll have to find out how that works. I’ve always either traded them in, or I had the title. I don’t want to trade this in, because I don’t want a new car.
Old 07-02-15, 06:39 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Thank you for the update. This is a nice outcome, and I am glad it worked out well.

Whether you sell or not is, naturally, a personal decision. Knowing this model, and given how many "big ticket" items you've had addressed (not just known problems like the control arms, but also fluids, radiator, and well, the new motor, of course), I would honestly expect this thing to serve you well for quite some time.

I ultimately don't know the history of this specific car, but given what you've outlined about the extent of the work, the quality and results of the work performed and the financial dimension (in terms of what you owe), unless there are other considerations, I would seriously think of keeping the car. Just my 2 cents... In the meantime, enjoy the car!

FWIW, I think you service at the dealer where I bought my car.
Old 07-02-15, 07:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Wow...I can't believe you got your insurance to cover that. Good for you!
Old 07-02-15, 07:31 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow glad this got resolved, almost a positive reinforcement for State Farm as an insurance provider!

Like caha14 said, I'd really consider keeping the vehicle....at 96k miles even with all the new parts you may not get that many takers, and you know what you've done to it, you'd feel confident to drive that across the country if needed. Keep it, pay it down, Lexus holds their resale values in the mid-long term so you'll come out ahead at some point in time!

Seriously that car should last you another 50-60k miles if not longer with extremely minimal issues since you've covered all the major parts. Not many of us have that as a reassurance (other than Lexus' otherwise stellar reliability)
Old 07-03-15, 03:56 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

An engine with 41k miles, WOW. I'd only consider the transmission at 96k miles to be a thought (not a concern) as I don't recall much negative (if anything) about the tranny. Unless this car is a psychological reminder of a terrible situation that you can't get over (which turned out OK) I'd hang onto it as well.
Old 07-03-15, 09:56 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

NICE! Glad things worked out for you, maybe you can Sleep a lil' Better at Nite now!
Old 07-03-15, 04:29 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I would not have thought the insurance company would have covered it. They should have you as a customer for life.

As for keeping or selling the car, that's a tough call in my opinion, here's why. The car should run well, but then you never know. With so much work done there is the potential for something to go wrong, although even if something did it could be minor. However, if you sell it to a private party, I think you need to inform them of all the work done. Otherwise if that buyer has problems they might come back at you. That's not a worry if you sell to a dealer, but then obviously they will pay you less than a private buyer.

I think if I were in your position, I would keep it, but it's a tough call. Keep us updated.
Old 07-03-15, 08:53 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Good for you. You are getting a rare do-over. Sell, Forrest, Sell.

I also had a very problematic 460L that had thousands of $$$ of fixes done to it (under warranty), including a very expensive engine repair. Not worth the aggravation.
Old 07-04-15, 04:13 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I would not have thought the insurance company would have covered it. They should have you as a customer for life.

As for keeping or selling the car, that's a tough call in my opinion, here's why. The car should run well, but then you never know. With so much work done there is the potential for something to go wrong, although even if something did it could be minor. However, if you sell it to a private party, I think you need to inform them of all the work done. Otherwise if that buyer has problems they might come back at you. That's not a worry if you sell to a dealer, but then obviously they will pay you less than a private buyer.

I think if I were in your position, I would keep it, but it's a tough call. Keep us updated.
And think about it...telling someone what happened to the car and why you're selling it, in this case, shouldn't be so hard. He dropped something down the spark plug hole when doing a plug change - that's why the engine was replaced - it doesn't represent the car in a poor light and it doesn't mean the owner beat on his car. In fact it shows how much the owner maintained and cared for the vehicle, which should be a selling point. So as a consumer you shouldn't feel that A. The car is a piece of crap, or B. The owner blows motors because he beats on his cars.

Because usually when I look for cars I stay away from vehicles that have had major components replaced - I just feel they probably weren't taken care of, or won't run correctly. I don't know if I'm right in feeling that way, but I do feel that way. This case is different.
Old 07-04-15, 11:20 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
And think about it...telling someone what happened to the car and why you're selling it, in this case, shouldn't be so hard. He dropped something down the spark plug hole when doing a plug change - that's why the engine was replaced - it doesn't represent the car in a poor light and it doesn't mean the owner beat on his car. In fact it shows how much the owner maintained and cared for the vehicle, which should be a selling point. So as a consumer you shouldn't feel that A. The car is a piece of crap, or B. The owner blows motors because he beats on his cars.

Because usually when I look for cars I stay away from vehicles that have had major components replaced - I just feel they probably weren't taken care of, or won't run correctly. I don't know if I'm right in feeling that way, but I do feel that way. This case is different.
It's all in the way you present your case but honestly speaking it sticks out as a red flag to me If I was purchasing.
If the car had another two years driven on the new used motor then that flag goes away. It's even better if the car has accumulated miles above 100k and I was looking for something in that price range and the other candidates had more actual accumulated miles on the engine.
Old 07-05-15, 04:39 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It's all in the way you present your case but honestly speaking it sticks out as a red flag to me If I was purchasing.
If the car had another two years driven on the new used motor then that flag goes away. It's even better if the car has accumulated miles above 100k and I was looking for something in that price range and the other candidates had more actual accumulated miles on the engine.
Yeah I agree...I'd like to see some trouble free miles driven on that engine that was swapped. I might feel comfortable with 15-20 thousand miles and a year's worth of driving on it.

And I'd want to take a nice close look at the quality of the install - I'd be looking for broken stuff/short cuts, and I'd be paying attention to leaks. I'd also be trying to hear unusual things on a test drive. If you drop an engine in a 460, there are a lot of things that can go wrong.
Old 07-05-15, 04:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Google 07 Lexus LS 460 reliability. There you'll find hundreds upon hundreds of extremely positive reviews of reliability from LS owners...car gurus, cars.com, consumer reports, Kelly blue book..on and on and on. You're welcome.

Anything I can do to help. I'll also keep you updated on the reliability of my own car...this week was an off week, I only drove 380 miles, but there's still Sunday. But still no problems. I don't foresee any problems for tomorrow - I plan on taking it food shopping, going for a ride to the beach/lunch/ice cream...I figure I'll put a solid 100 miles on it. Then I'll be gearing up for a 600 mile work week. Hope I can assist you in your "goal", or was it a quest? I can't remember, I'm too exhausted from reading all those positive reviews about reliability on the Internet...hey isn't that your job?
Except for one glaring issue at the time (I owned the 2007), wind noise was singularly the most talked about problem on the 460 forum. As a result of the multiple complaints received, Lexus retrofitted the two front window on the 460 with dual pane acoustic glass that was on the higher models (it never became a recall, and conversions were made for clients who complained about it, myself included). After that fix, not a word about this issue was heard again (to my knowledge anyway). Many fixes were hatched on this forum and tried, however I chose to let Lexus do the conversion, and traded it in for the 600 shortly after that.

In the end, I still think the wind noise was due to over-sensitization by drivers, myself included as up to the point when the problem was aired on Club Lexus, I didn't hear any wind noise other than what would be considered normal; once I started focusing on it, it was all downhill from there and it seemed to get louder every day. I'm bringing this up on this thread as it illustrates that sometimes relatively benign problems can develop a drama of their own, and appear much worse than they really are. All it takes is the human factor to make that happen... That experience left me with a bad taste, not toward Lexus, but toward Club Lexus, and I stayed away it for 3-4 years after that.
Old 07-06-15, 10:47 AM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the kind comments

Thank you all for the kind words. I do see the logic in keeping the car, with so many big ticket items handled. I do still have the extended warranty in place, which seems to be very reputable and they cover what's covered (Cigna). State Farm is absolutely great to me, and yes, I plan to keep them and would recommend them to anybody. I've had everything insured through them for many years, so I don't know if that had anything to do with this getting covered.

I am driving it, and I like it, but it may come down to monthly expenses. I have a lot of medical bills and it would be nice to get my budget to where I have some margin, even if I have to borrow more money from my line of credit to do it. I haven't made that decision yet, and either way I'm going to do the wind noise fix, paint touch up, and other things that would be nice even for me to keep it.
Old 12-28-21, 06:38 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by azzkicker
I've been pumping money into this car since the moment I bought it, now it's broke down at the lexus dealer and the cheapest option they have is $14,600 to put a used engine in it with 80,000 miles on it.

I tried to save a few bucks and change my own spark plugs (after paying the dealer to fix water leaks, a water pump, pulley tensioner, all new control arms, and I'm sure stuff I've forgotten.

I didn't leave the plugs out or anything, but apparently something was in the cavity with the plug and fell in. It put dings in the piston and head, and apparently banged up the valves. The dealer says they can't repair it. A new engine is something like 20 grand plus labor, so they suggest a used one.

I hope yours lasts. Everything on this car is finicky and crazy expensive to fix. Good luck.

Anybody want a 2007 LS460L with a luxury package, new control arms, new brakes, new tires, new water pump, new headlights, new battery, new belt tensioner, new fluids, 96,000 miles and a bad engine?
Wow that’s a bummer. sorry that happened to you and hope you can find a good used motor and a good mechanic to work with since you have a lot done on it already. Don’t be discouraged the spark plug issue was definitely a real bad accident but can be overcome.
Old 12-29-21, 04:13 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Parrokeete
Wow that’s a bummer. sorry that happened to you and hope you can find a good used motor and a good mechanic to work with since you have a lot done on it already. Don’t be discouraged the spark plug issue was definitely a real bad accident but can be overcome.
This thread was started in 2015 and the OP has not been on CL since 2016. 👍

The following 2 users liked this post by mbarron37:
mannye (12-30-21), NotFasty (12-29-21)