LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

500 miles in, my thoughts on the LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-15, 08:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default 500 miles in, my thoughts on the LS

Thought I would update everybody. Some issues with the nav headunit sidelined my new LS for a week or so. Dealer madness, part is ordered, part comes in and doesn't work, finally they swipe one from a new LS on the lot and there ya go. That notwithstanding, I'm 500 miles in now and today put about 150 miles on it driving out to show a client some things and driving back.

So far I LOVE the car. Its just what I've wanted, its incredibly smooth and quiet, effortless power at speed, a very relaxing car. Plenty of space, very elegant and well made. I enjoyed my other Lexus cars, especially my GS, but this one is just my speed. Cruise set at 80 its silent inside almost. Very nice. Drove to work through a backroad shortcut I use when the highway is backed up, that wasn't quite as enjoyable as it was in the LS but its a tradeoff I'll take

One of the things I've been most impressed with is the quality difference from the GS. The paint for instance is so much thicker and higher quality, everything inside is very high quality, except oddly enough the leather which I feel was better in my GS Luxury with semi-aniline leather (which I know I could have gotten on my LS), and oddly enough on the standard GS loaner I had when my LS was in the shop. Kinda strange. IMHO the leather in the LS should be as good as that semi-aniline leather in the GS standard and have even better leather optional. Behind BMW etc here IMHO with their nappa leathers.

Anyways, thats a small niggle. I really, really like the car. I have a feeling this ones a keeper.
Old 05-24-15, 08:51 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thought I would update everybody. Some issues with the nav headunit sidelined my new LS for a week or so. Dealer madness, part is ordered, part comes in and doesn't work, finally they swipe one from a new LS on the lot and there ya go. That notwithstanding, I'm 500 miles in now and today put about 150 miles on it driving out to show a client some things and driving back.

So far I LOVE the car. Its just what I've wanted, its incredibly smooth and quiet, effortless power at speed, a very relaxing car. Plenty of space, very elegant and well made. I enjoyed my other Lexus cars, especially my GS, but this one is just my speed. Cruise set at 80 its silent inside almost. Very nice. Drove to work through a backroad shortcut I use when the highway is backed up, that wasn't quite as enjoyable as it was in the LS but its a tradeoff I'll take

One of the things I've been most impressed with is the quality difference from the GS. The paint for instance is so much thicker and higher quality, everything inside is very high quality, except oddly enough the leather which I feel was better in my GS Luxury with semi-aniline leather (which I know I could have gotten on my LS), and oddly enough on the standard GS loaner I had when my LS was in the shop. Kinda strange. IMHO the leather in the LS should be as good as that semi-aniline leather in the GS standard and have even better leather optional. Behind BMW etc here IMHO with their nappa leathers.

Anyways, thats a small niggle. I really, really like the car. I have a feeling this ones a keeper.
Great comments, and it's awesome that you are enjoying the car so much! LS is indeed a very fine machine, and I can only imagine how much improved it must feel in 2015 form, given all the year-on-year slight improvements and the big refresh.

I can't comment on the leather. I will say, FWIW, that years back I got to drive 2011 and 2012 LS460s that were less equipped than my 2008 LS460L (which had semi-aniline), and I do remember feeling a noticeable difference on the leather (AND also being unpleasantly surprised that those cars had zero leather on the door panels). The door panels looked cheaper than on my 2007 GS350, I kid you not. But, I digress, as I know the door part has changed post-refresh (i.e., your door panels are quite tastefully done). I am, however, intrigued by your thoughts on the seats and will take a peek next time I am in the showroom.

As for the paint, LS is (I think) the only production Lexus to be hand-sanded between coats (though possibly new colors on RC now fall in this category too). This led to some interesting discussions with the body shop that was repainting the front of my 460L and the insurance company. The work was ultimately done beautifully, but I had to dig up some technical documentation to illustrate why I was insisting on less orange peel, etc. The factory process is also unique in that I believe they alternate color and clear, and there may be some clear beneath the final coat of color, enough so that when the body shop was stripping the hood in my old car, they swore it had been repainted, which was not the case.

At any rate, keep enjoying the car! I like the new username, BTW (a bit late to point it out), and it's great to have you here. I've always enjoyed reading your posts (there and now here - I go everywhere in this forum!) and look forward to seeing more. Separately, careful what you tell them GS folks about us
Old 05-24-15, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha, thanks! yeah the door panels are all leather in the 2015, as is the console, lower dash/glove box door.

In terms of the leather. For instance...my Kia Sedona minivan has nappa leather seats which are a step up from whats in the LS. I rode in my friend's 2015 X5 with the nappa leather upgrade, that leather is incredibly high quality. The semi-aniline leather is pretty nice, but not as nice as that leather on that X5. I think Lexus needs to step up to some better hides, especially on the LS. Semi-aniline should be standard, with better leather optional. Especially since the semi-aniline leather and alcantara headliner are only a $500 upgrade, just make that standard.

The LS also needs a multi-contour seat option. I do miss the seats in my GS with their 18 way adjustments, etc.

I'm sure this stuff will be addressed in the all new LS.

Had to make another 100 mile round trip run unexpectedly this morning, this car makes my everyday driving much more enjoyable!
Old 05-25-15, 04:32 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree on leather being a bit cheap feeling. But the seats are superb. I just did 500 miles on saturday and felt great at the end of the day.
Did i mention I did 500 miles on one tank?
Old 05-25-15, 06:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they're very comfortable...
Old 05-25-15, 06:11 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

First time I did 500+ on one tank I was shocked. Kept telling my wife and she got sick of it. Hahah I was impressed.

Great to hear you like the car. I keep getting the bug to change, but then I either drive my car or look at the speedo and realize I only have 67K on it.
Old 05-25-15, 01:10 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you knew you would enjoy the car regardless, your dad had one of the classics... can't get any better than that. issues with these cars will always happen as you well know, get her fixed, keep it moving. no doubt the LS is absolutely smooth as fish grease... some of the materials could be upgraded of course (standard at no extra charge), fantastic car none the less.
Old 05-25-15, 01:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I'm very happy as I knew I would be!
Old 05-25-15, 08:01 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

To me there's Nothing like this car for a road trip, Nothing! we just got back from Memphis, Tn. went 400 miles on a lil' over a half tank! Wife went to a BMW for a couple of years (SUV) & i Hated it, but she finally came back to her senses!
Old 05-25-15, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I remember how comfortable they were when my dad had his. Looking forward to a trip with mine!
Old 05-26-15, 11:07 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. I wondered when you would finally step up to the big boy....

I agree the leather on the LS is different than the Nappa hides but it will also wear better long term. I've seen some Nappa interiors that look like the wrath of god after a couple years; whereas the leather in my '01 looks brand new. Also the nappa leather (from what I remember) has a softer surface but doesn't give as much as the Lexus leather. I can't really remember it being a night and day difference but it's been a while.

I had the Nulux pleather on a loaner IS recently and was pretty impressed with it. I've seen leather on Acuras and Nissans that wasn't as nice.

I've had some luck softening some sun-hit perforated panels (like the ones behind the rear seats next to the parcel shelf) with Leatherique but because of the coating it takes a lot of work. I don't know if that would affect a new hide at all.

Oddly enough Lexus leather comes from German cows. Maybe BMW uses Japanese cows?

The LS paint is hand sanded; and I think the first of the 'self healing' paints. It's amazing to walk up to a dark one and see no orange peel.

At the end of the day you can always find a nit to pick but bottom line the LS is a phenomenal car. I think the overall quality and ownership experience is unmatched in its segment. I have loved every minute of owning mine over (almost!) 10 years; so much so that I bought another one.

You are really going to love it.

Welcome to the brotherhood!
Old 05-27-15, 05:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks!
Old 05-27-15, 08:22 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

To ME, this car is the Pinnacle of Luxury (Mercedes, BMW i'm Sorry)! Lol! you Can't beat the Ride, especially on a Road Trip! To ME there's Nothing like the ride of the LS460! Enjoy her!
Old 05-27-15, 10:01 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

At work we occasionally drive to lunch to an Indian place that's a 15 min ride away. I have a co-worker who is almost always nodding off in the back of the LS by the time we get there; and is surely out cold by the time we get back (thanks food coma).

The press keep calling the LS the Japanese Mercedes; but I think it should really be called the Japanese Rolls Royce.