LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

10,000 Mile Oil Intervals on ANY LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 07:58 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
To be honest, I'm probably just too cheap to do an oil analysis. And I'm probably too cheap to always go out and buy TGMO - because I can't seem to get for the prices others always seem to be able to land it for around here. I usually buy what's on sale at walmart, in my last case it was the Mobil 1 EP. Right now regualr Mobil 1 is on sale, two months ago it was Castrol (but I stayed away). They always have Quaker State synthetic for $22 for 5 quarts, which I might give a shot.

The problem with my life right now is that I have to spend so much money on so many other things, that I look for ways to save in other areas. I probably spend $300 bucks a week on food alone in my household. I probably spend $200 bucks a month on hair cuts, styles and colors (if that gives you any indication of how many times my wife and daughter go to the salon). Our cell phone bill is so high that I don't want to even think about it. So I save on the little things...keeps me sane.
You wont have to worry about hair cuts much longer as long as you cut your own hair. Apparently the feminists in their attempt for gender equality are complaining that there is a disparity of the price difference between men and women's hair cuts. So the industry might start subsidizing by increasing the price of a mans hair cut. :

In all seriousness I have found deals for a case of this oil on EBay and Amazon. In regard to UOA you just need to do it once at an extended drain to make sure there is enough active ingredient left for your satisfaction. After that just perform extended drains and soon enough it will be easier on your wallet and better for your engine.
Old 05-24-15, 08:06 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

And I'm probably too cheap to always go out and buy TGMO
I only pay 5 bucks/qt. And that's in Canada. No doubt cheaper in the US.
Old 05-24-15, 08:10 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I only pay 5 bucks/qt. And that's in Canada. No doubt cheaper in the US.
My local dealer was charging $7 a quart. It's the going rate for good off the shelf synthetic at most auto part stores. I then found a deal which worked out to be $6 and some change with free shipping on Amazon. No tax either so it worked out in my favor.
Old 05-24-15, 08:20 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
My local dealer was charging $7 a quart. It's the going rate for good off the shelf synthetic at most auto part stores. I then found a deal which worked out to be $6 and some change with free shipping on Amazon. No tax either so it worked out in my favor.
That's what they charge here, but for the bottled stuff. They will also sell you bulk if you bring your own container, at 5.06/qt. I bring them two 5 qt jugs and fill 'er up. That gives me enough for a full change a couple of qts leftover for top ups through my OCI of 6k miles.
Old 05-24-15, 08:35 AM
Devh
Racer

That's what they charge here, but for the bottled stuff. They will also sell you bulk if you bring your own container, at 5.06/qt. I bring them two 5 qt jugs and fill 'er up. That gives me enough for a full change a couple of qts leftover for top ups through my OCI of 6k miles.
That's a great deal that I will not get even if I begged. My local Toyota dealer sucks and the Lexus dealer is even worse. I buy all of my parts much cheaper on the internet.
I honestly believe there is a big disconnect between Toyota franchises and Toyota motor company.
Old 05-24-15, 04:27 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
You wont have to worry about hair cuts much longer as long as you cut your own hair. Apparently the feminists in their attempt for gender equality are complaining that there is a disparity of the price difference between men and women's hair cuts. So the industry might start subsidizing by increasing the price of a mans hair cut. :

In all seriousness I have found deals for a case of this oil on EBay and Amazon. In regard to UOA you just need to do it once at an extended drain to make sure there is enough active ingredient left for your satisfaction. After that just perform extended drains and soon enough it will be easier on your wallet and better for your engine.
I'll have to check Amazon...I have before with no success. My brother in law works for a Honda dealer, but he can get the TGMO at a discount, but even then it's more than I'd usually spend at Walmart.

I'll have to work on steadying my hands for those haircuts
Old 05-24-15, 05:46 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'll have to check Amazon...I have before with no success. My brother in law works for a Honda dealer, but he can get the TGMO at a discount, but even then it's more than I'd usually spend at Walmart.

I'll have to work on steadying my hands for those haircuts
A friend of mine uses dog shears, then has his wife check the work which is his subsidy for her hair cut. If you work out a deal it might subsidize your oil.
Old 05-25-15, 01:30 PM
LS460Lover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time Interval between oil changes

Most previous posters discuss mileage interval for oil changes. As I put only 3K/yr on my 2013 LS460, what is the collective wisdom on the time interval between the changes?
Old 05-25-15, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I think you'd be okay to do it once a year.
Old 05-25-15, 02:02 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LS460Lover
Most previous posters discuss mileage interval for oil changes. As I put only 3K/yr on my 2013 LS460, what is the collective wisdom on the time interval between the changes?
At least once if not twice. Personally, I would change the oil every 6 months regardless of low mileage.
Old 05-25-15, 04:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

How long the oil is in the car has no bearing on it's life. Oil does not know how old it is. HOWEVER, if you are driving frequent short trips, and not allowing the oil to warm up and burn off moisture, etc, then 1 year (especially with a syn) is ample.

If I were you, I'd spring for a UOA with Blackstone after a year of use and see what they say.
Old 05-25-15, 07:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Oil does breakdown and suffers from oxidation.

Oxidation
Oxidation is perhaps the most common chemical reaction, not just in lubrication chemistry, but also in nature as a whole. Simply stated, oxidation is the chemical reaction of an oil molecule with oxygen, which is present from either ambient or entrained air. (In a strict chemical sense, oxidation does not necessarily need to involve oxygen, although for the purposes of this article, the discussion is confined to oxidation reactions involving oxygen.) Oil oxidation is no different than other commonly encountered oxidation reaction, such as rusting. Just like the effects rusting and other corrosive processes have on metal substrates, oil oxidations results in a catastrophic and permanent chemical change to the base oil molecules.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/.../oil-breakdown
Old 05-25-15, 08:16 PM
Devh
Racer

Changing the oil once a year or even longer would be just fine. The buffer in the oil would be more then adequate. All that would need to be done is to get the car up to operating temps when you do drive it and it will be just fine .
Changing your oil needlessly every 6 months will only increase the engine wear.

I change my oil once a year and I now plan to change it every one and half because I want to increase the drain interval to get the oil into the sweet spot.
Old 05-25-15, 09:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Oil does breakdown and suffers from oxidation.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/.../oil-breakdown
And I doubt that happens in an engine that has reached proper operating temps and certainly not in a year. But that's why an UOA is invaluable. There is lots of discussion on this at BITOG.
Some guys are running oil for 2-3 years in their classic Mustangs and the like, but not putting many miles on it. Their UOA's are good. That said, yearly changes are what I'd be comfortable with, especially when the price of a change is reasonable. But just for the hell of it, I'd spring for a 25 dollar analysis on a year old oil just to see.
Old 05-25-15, 09:54 PM
Devh
Racer

And I doubt that happens in an engine that has reached proper operating temps and certainly not in a year. But that's why an UOA is invaluable. There is lots of discussion on this at BITOG.
Some guys are running oil for 2-3 years in their classic Mustangs and the like, but not putting many miles on it. Their UOA's are good. That said, yearly changes are what I'd be comfortable with, especially when the price of a change is reasonable. But just for the hell of it, I'd spring for a 25 dollar analysis on a year old oil just to see.
It's a good article, it's just too bad he doesn't understand it and how it applies in the real world.

Quick Reply: 10,000 Mile Oil Intervals on ANY LS460