LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

10,000 Mile Oil Intervals on ANY LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 07:02 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
There's a poster on here who has contacted Lexus about extending oil change intervals out to 10k miles like a lot of Toyota's products, and they responded that you could. He even posted the email from Lexus on here.

Personally I'm not a fan of a 10k mile oil change, so I go 7,500 on synthetic. I realize it may be fine to go 10k, especially with a bigger sump that holds 9 quarts of oil, but I guess I'm old fashioned. Even 7,500 is stretching it for me. I just did an oil change a few weeks ago using Mobil 1 extended performance (which is supposedly good for 15k miles), but I'm still going to change it at 7,500.

+1... personally I do the same, change oil & filter at about 7,000 to 7,500 mi using OEM Toyota 0-20w synthetic
Old 05-21-15, 07:27 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, my previous 01 GS430 had 240k with my non-OEM oil and filter change frequency of every 10k miles using Mobil 1. Doing the same for my 10 LS 460...bottom line: do what makes you feel comfortable.
Old 05-23-15, 05:38 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus won't contradict the owners manual for the year of the car. Why they went from 5k to 10k is unknown.
Old 05-23-15, 05:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

They went to 10k with standard synthetic to compete with their competition.
Old 05-23-15, 05:51 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
An oil analysis does not account for carbon build up simply because it's big enough to get trapped by the oil filter so it's not an issue . A high quality synthetic oil with modern filter media will trap those contaminants efficiently and have plenty of room to spare well before it reaches it's bypass.

Using a high quality synthetic oil not only has a additive protective quality during the extended oil interval, it also has a cleaning ability that will remove varnish and carbon formation and suspend it in the oil. Deposit formation is not is not a feature of extended oil intervals using the correct synthetic oil. The only exceptions to this is defective engine designed like the older Toyota engines that were notorious for sludge formation.
The Mobil extended oil would not be a good oil to use simply because of the high mg that Toyota oil avoids in their formulations probably because of it's corrosive nature on some of the internals.
If the oil in the 430 doesn't hold up to extended drains then that is not the fault of the oil, it's the limitation of the engine design.

I have done some crazy extended drains before and when I removed or peered into valve covers on some of them, they were spotless. One car in particular that had 90k on the motor which was also driven hard and to my amazement I removed the oil pan to find main seals without any deposit formation.
Mobil 1 EP can damage the inside of our engines because of it's corrosive nature?

What are you talking about? Because I just did an oil change with it - it was on sale - and I figured TGMO is made by Mobil, so I didn't think the formula would be that much different, plus it's considered their best oil. Is it really worse than running TGMO for 10k miles (which Toyota recommends), because TGMO has an additive package that has a low starting TBN, and reports from blackstone haven't looked good after longer drain intervals.

Explain this to me, because I won't buy the stuff again.
Old 05-23-15, 06:15 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The 460 has an acceptable amount of oil consumption. something like 3 qts per 5k. I make sure mine is topped off. And I go 10k between changes
Old 05-23-15, 06:32 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lbintab
The 460 has an acceptable amount of oil consumption. something like 3 qts per 5k. I make sure mine is topped off. And I go 10k between changes
Does yours use 3 quarts in 5k miles? Because I know with mine it uses 0 quarts in 5k miles, I'm talking virtually nothing. Now after my car hits 5k miles, the oil then starts to use a little bit...just a bit...maybe a quart from 5k to 7500. Five thousand miles seems to be the magic number for oil consumption in my car, it doesn't use any, but as soon as I go over that number it starts to just a little bit. I figure it's because at that point the oil's viscosity shears a little bit and the additive package drops.

The LS460 may be the tightest engine I've ever had, even my Honda Accord burned a little oil after 3k miles.
Old 05-23-15, 06:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
The figure is actually 1 qt per 1k miles. Lexus considers this normal consumption. My LS consumes about 1 qt per 3k
Old 05-23-15, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

3 quartes per 5k is a LOT IMHO. I've never had a Lexus that consumed any oil.
Old 05-23-15, 10:01 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Mobil 1 EP can damage the inside of our engines because of it's corrosive nature?

What are you talking about? Because I just did an oil change with it - it was on sale - and I figured TGMO is made by Mobil, so I didn't think the formula would be that much different, plus it's considered their best oil. Is it really worse than running TGMO for 10k miles (which Toyota recommends), because TGMO has an additive package that has a low starting TBN, and reports from blackstone haven't looked good after longer drain intervals.

Explain this to me, because I won't buy the stuff again.
Although Mobil makes TGMO they are not the same product. Toyota tailored the oil based on the internals of Toyota engines while trying to meet CAFE requirements. I suspect that their high use of Moly is reflected in the fact that the lighter weight (20) oil developing more wear without it and this is their way to fix the issue as long as you keep using it. It is speculated that use of Mg which is in abundance in some extended oils is not desirable for Toyota engines because it can be either corrosive to some of the internals in the long run or it can create more wear. What ever the reason the fact that Toyota has a lot less if it then Mobil is telling.

I'm not implying that Mobil is not a good product in general but for a Toyota engine it's not ideal.
Having that abundance of Moly in the engine oil I believe has a cumulative effect in the long run for our engines as long as we do extended oil changes. As the Moly additive wears with the engine oil it gets burnished into the metal so much so that when adding fresh oil which creates initial wear before the detergent settles out becomes offset to good extent and long term cold starting wear is reduced as well.
Old 05-23-15, 12:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Although Mobil makes TGMO they are not the same product. Toyota tailored the oil based on the internals of Toyota engines while trying to meet CAFE requirements. I suspect that their high use of Moly is reflected in the fact that the lighter weight (20) oil developing more wear without it and this is their way to fix the issue as long as you keep using it. It is speculated that use of Mg which is in abundance in some extended oils is not desirable for Toyota engines because it can be either corrosive to some of the internals in the long run or it can create more wear. What ever the reason the fact that Toyota has a lot less if it then Mobil is telling.

I'm not implying that Mobil is not a good product in general but for a Toyota engine it's not ideal.
Having that abundance of Moly in the engine oil I believe has a cumulative effect in the long run for our engines as long as we do extended oil changes. As the Moly additive wears with the engine oil it gets burnished into the metal so much so that when adding fresh oil which creates initial wear before the detergent settles out becomes offset to good extent and long term cold starting wear is reduced as well.
What's mg, magnisium? So if I'm using regular Mobil 1 I don't have to worry about the high content of mg?

I want to say that Mobile 1 ep has essentially the same content of moly as TGMO, though.
Old 05-23-15, 02:53 PM
Devh
Racer

What's mg, magnisium? So if I'm using regular Mobil 1 I don't have to worry about the high content of mg?

I want to say that Mobile 1 ep has essentially the same content of moly as TGMO, though.
It is a topic of debate in regard to Magnesium but it has enough speculation to error on not having too much of it in the formulation because of it's abrasive and corrosive nature. From what I understand the EP has a lot of it to keep the TBN robust and it contributes to the detergent ability but it comes at the expense of more wear if it is not used for a very long drain interval.
This is why fresh oil initially has more wear until the additive package settles down.

If the EP has the same amount of moly that's a good thing but the Mg would negate that until you did very high oil change intervals to get into the sweet spot.
The Toyota oil on the other hand has less Mg then even regular Mobil One and it has a lot of moly which is ideal to keep the oil in the sweet spot earlier. In addition to this the Toyota oil has a much higher viscosity Index which shows that it's clearly superior to Mobil 1 which ultimately contributes to lower wear over time.
For factory oil it's pretty amazing stuff but it makes you wonder why Toyota oil is better formulated.
Old 05-23-15, 07:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

It is a topic of debate in regard to Magnesium but it has enough speculation to error on not having too much of it in the formulation because of it's abrasive and corrosive nature. From what I understand the EP has a lot of it to keep the TBN robust and it contributes to the detergent ability but it comes at the expense of more wear if it is not used for a very long drain interval.
This is why fresh oil initially has more wear until the additive package settles down.

If the EP has the same amount of moly that's a good thing but the Mg would negate that until you did very high oil change intervals to get into the sweet spot.
The Toyota oil on the other hand has less Mg then even regular Mobil One and it has a lot of moly which is ideal to keep the oil in the sweet spot earlier. In addition to this the Toyota oil has a much higher viscosity Index which shows that it's clearly superior to Mobil 1 which ultimately contributes to lower wear over time.
For factory oil it's pretty amazing stuff but it makes you wonder why Toyota oil is better formulated.
Excellent, thanks. I have used TGMO in the past...had good luck with it (although I'm not sure what I'd call good luck when talking about oil). I guess I consider good luck, not using much oil and not having any problems when I use it. TGMO did that, then again so has everything else.

I won't buy the Mobil 1 EP again.
Old 05-23-15, 07:50 PM
Devh
Racer

Excellent, thanks. I have used TGMO in the past...had good luck with it (although I'm not sure what I'd call good luck when talking about oil). I guess I consider good luck, not using much oil and not having any problems when I use it. TGMO did that, then again so has everything else.

I won't buy the Mobil 1 EP again.
Most oils without a UOA will not show much of any difference except maybe consumption. I would even say one UOA may not show a complete picture. Long term trends seem to be more important as well as having enough active ingredient and having the oil not fall out of grade.
I believe over time the moly from TGMO will protect the internals and lower the wear rate to keep clearances tight. Based on this thread and a lot of the newer evidence I came across I'm going to start my journey and go pass the 5k mark now that I'm out of warranty.
Old 05-24-15, 05:34 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Most oils without a UOA will not show much of any difference except maybe consumption. I would even say one UOA may not show a complete picture. Long term trends seem to be more important as well as having enough active ingredient and having the oil not fall out of grade.
I believe over time the moly from TGMO will protect the internals and lower the wear rate to keep clearances tight. Based on this thread and a lot of the newer evidence I came across I'm going to start my journey and go pass the 5k mark now that I'm out of warranty.
To be honest, I'm probably just too cheap to do an oil analysis. And I'm probably too cheap to always go out and buy TGMO - because I can't seem to get for the prices others always seem to be able to land it for around here. I usually buy what's on sale at walmart, in my last case it was the Mobil 1 EP. Right now regualr Mobil 1 is on sale, two months ago it was Castrol (but I stayed away). They always have Quaker State synthetic for $22 for 5 quarts, which I might give a shot.

The problem with my life right now is that I have to spend so much money on so many other things, that I look for ways to save in other areas. I probably spend $300 bucks a week on food alone in my household. I probably spend $200 bucks a month on hair cuts, styles and colors (if that gives you any indication of how many times my wife and daughter go to the salon). Our cell phone bill is so high that I don't want to even think about it. So I save on the little things...keeps me sane.

Quick Reply: 10,000 Mile Oil Intervals on ANY LS460